Opinion The Race for Pick #1 - It's ours (almost... again....)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's the key to it - Freo left themselves well short, trading pick 1 for Trent Croad. If you're going to do it, you want two top 10 picks in what you think is a strong draft, one of them say 4 or 5, the other 7 to 9. Pick 1 is 3000 points - pick 5 and 9 is 3300

Didn’t they get Luke McPharlin as well

The coach suggested we needed support for Souva, a small forward and potentially a back to support Hall........whether that support comes in the form of a draft pick or a mature type will play out I suppose but I reckon Nobes has made his intentions clear what positions he wants filled.

Fair to say Im honestly looking forward to seeing how North attacks this trade and draft period. Im hoping its targeted and clinical.
as clinical as a surgeon

so from what I can work out, Freo gave up picks 1, 20 and 36, and got Trent Croad and Luke McPharlin. Hawthorn took Hodge with #1, 20 was a bust, and 36 was..... Sam Mitchell.

In summary... not so good
Looks better when you consider Freo got pick 10 pack for Croad. Not so good when you see they took Dunn who played a total of 8 games.

That's true but I guess the hypothetical would be trading Luke Hodge for Chris Judd and James Bartel?
Except the discussion is trading 1 (a mid) for at least one pick which would become a key forward and there has been some discussion about getting Rachelle, a small forward. We could end up giving up Walsh for Rankine and Blakey rather than Hodge for Judd and Bartel. I wouldn't have an issue with the club splitting pick 1 as I would back them in but I would be shocked if they did it.

Just my two cents on trading pick one, but I think we're at a stage in our rebuild now where we don't need quantity over quality. I think we'd have one of the deepest lists of quality young players in the entire AFL at the moment and it's almost absurd as you start to go through all of the names. At this stage I'd much rather just take a safe punt on improving our top end.

I'd be much happier to just take Horne and hope that he is as good as we think he is. Unless we seriously view him as a flight risk, we'd be mad to trade him away for anything less than a godfather offer. A lot of the proposed offers I'm seeing on here seem too fair as well. If they're as desperate for Horne as we think, then Pick 2, another top 10 pick this year and their first next year would be the starting point. If they don't accept, then we call out Horne's name with absolutely no regrets.

You hit the nail on the head Kangatime. It would be terrible to finish last just to get a higher pick in my opinion. Luckily Noble feels the same as with all the players. But if we finish last while trying our guts out to win well you just have to wear that.

It’s not so cut and dry.
Every player on the ground try’s their guts out to win, that’s undisputed.
But it’s also horses for courses, you find yourself at some point with no chance of playing finals and it’s time to invest in the future by playing kids and if that happens to net you a higher pick in the draft well that’s a twofold win. Playing Goldy in the forward line is about educating both X and Larkey not to try and win games. Yes it is a balancing act experience vs wining culture vs confidence etc but ultimately it’s about getting the club to where they want to be in the shortest possible time.
In the main the best clubs that have had sustained success don’t hang around mid table they spend most of the time being around the top with a real chance of ultimate success or down the bottom usually with a quick bounce back.
We as a club have not had the opportunity to play it that way because our very existence was on the line if we bottomed out. Noble said it himself that the experience the kids gain in just one of these high pressure afl games equates to 20 vfl games.
Let’s not get too angsty and start taking advantage of the system like the big boys do.

It’s not so cut and dry.
Every player on the ground try’s their guts out to win, that’s undisputed.
But it’s also horses for courses, you find yourself at some point with no chance of playing finals and it’s time to invest in the future by playing kids and if that happens to net you a higher pick in the draft well that’s a twofold win. Playing Goldy in the forward line is about educating both X and Larkey not to try and win games. Yes it is a balancing act experience vs wining culture vs confidence etc but ultimately it’s about getting the club to where they want to be in the shortest possible time.
In the main the best clubs that have had sustained success don’t hang around mid table they spend most of the time being around the top with a real chance of ultimate success or down the bottom usually with a quick bounce back.
We as a club have not had the opportunity to play it that way because our very existence was on the line if we bottomed out. Noble said it himself that the experience the kids gain in just one of these high pressure afl games equates to 20 vfl games.
Let’s not get too angsty and start taking advantage of the system like the big boys do.

What about we rest Goldy and let Xerri and Campbell get more experience together for the rest of the season.... ;) or bring in Campbell and have Goldy play as a permanant forward...:laughing:

Just my two cents on trading pick one, but I think we're at a stage in our rebuild now where we don't need quantity over quality. I think we'd have one of the deepest lists of quality young players in the entire AFL at the moment and it's almost absurd as you start to go through all of the names. At this stage I'd much rather just take a safe punt on improving our top end.

I'd be much happier to just take Horne and hope that he is as good as we think he is. Unless we seriously view him as a flight risk, we'd be mad to trade him away for anything less than a godfather offer. A lot of the proposed offers I'm seeing on here seem too fair as well. If they're as desperate for Horne as we think, then Pick 2, another top 10 pick this year and their first next year would be the starting point. If they don't accept, then we call out Horne's name with absolutely no regrets.

Its not a sake of quantity over quality.

We still have a number of list holes.

If we could leverage Adelaide, we could actually turn #1 into Gibcus and Cerra and still retain our (or their) 2022 R1 pick. If you add Kelly as a FA, that would be a huge offseason.

That in no way compromises on quality and we fill the KPD hole and our midfield would rival the Dogs as the deepest in the league.

Gibcus + Cerra > Horne imo.

Cerra would be a 25+ mid straight off the bat with 150+ games in the tank, finals would be a realistic goal in 2022.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard a lot of little things from a lot of people but one thing is a constant, all of them indicate we are in love with Jason Horne. We won't trade pick 1 if we get it.

I've heard a lot of little things from a lot of people but one thing is a constant, all of them indicate we are in love with Jason Horne. We won't trade pick 1 if we get it.
Tom Cruise-Katie Holmes love, or zondor-tender touch love?

Well as far as i know i was the first to suggest it. He appears to have the physical attributes, is too good for VFL but struggling up forward in the AFL and we successfully transformed Taz into a key defender.

And I don’t disagree with any of that. However why spend trade currency on a guy to play CHB that has no exposed form at CHB?

Probably a good time for the parent to teach the child about delayed gratification, not always getting what you want, sticking in there for the rough times makes the rewards all the more sweeter, about how the competition works and arming them to deal with antagonists. You know, rather than relying on a group of people that play football to make life easier for them.

And how since the rough times are gonna end up all the sweeter in the end that we should do all we can to bring them on.

Whatever happens this off season via trade, free agency and the draft, we are in a great spot moving forward. Cannot remember ever feeling this optimistic about the long-term

And I don’t disagree with any of that. However why spend trade currency on a guy to play CHB that has no exposed form at CHB?

My suggestion was, if we got Kelly and Horne (or other quality young mid) we're batting deep in the middle and better served giving midfield minutes to younger guys than Polec - so trading Polec for him might be a win/win for each club. We free up cap space for Kelly and may find ourselves with a quality CHB. They get someone that can contribute with outside run, skills and proven at the level while they're contending.

My suggestion was, if we got Kelly and Horne (or other quality young mid) we're batting deep in the middle and better served giving midfield minutes to younger guys than Polec - so trading Polec for him might be a win/win for each club. We free up cap space for Kelly and may find ourselves with a quality CHB. They get someone that can contribute with outside run, skills and proven at the level while they're contending.
Problem is who'd want him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back