Opinion The Race for Pick #1 - It's ours (almost... again....)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not discounting Halls contribution but Id like to think Kelly would add significantly more value than Hall.
Yep Horne takes TT’s role of rotating with Sleevo through the forward flank to midfield and JK rotates with TT through the back flank to midfield role. Atley and Garns redundant..

Lachie was a defender before he was a forward, he was really only used as a forward because Drew Petrie broke his foot and missed 2010. Eventually he moved down back again.
No, he played majority of his TAC years as a forward. He was switched from CHF to CHB during the season but played mostly as a forward. He was recruited to the club based on his forward ability. Then the club realised he was a better defender.

Yep Horne takes TT’s role of rotating with Sleevo through the forward flank to midfield and JK rotates with TT through the back flank to midfield role. Atley and Garns redundant..
Not in his first year. Tarryn is a brilliant kick for goal. Not sure you would compromise that. I’d be playing both at half forward and in the middle. I think blokes like Curtis Taylor will be unfortunate best 18 culled. I do see Horne being a utility that can play half back too, just a weapon. Can play all running roles across the ground. What a problem to have

forward stay at homes would be Sev, CZ and Chom. The other 3 will rotate through up the ground. Mahony, Baily, Curtis etc will be all rotated through out the year. Its magic

Not in his first year. Tarryn is a brilliant kick for goal. Not sure you would compromise that. I’d be playing both at half forward and in the middle. I think blokes like Curtis Taylor will be unfortunate best 18 culled. I do see Horne being a utility that can play half back too, just a weapon. Can play all running roles across the ground. What a problem to have
TT will kick goals streaming from the backline, through the guts to the 50, then again so could Sleevo..

I suppose thats the beauty of our team, our youngsters are basically Swiss Army knives..

Lachie was a defender before he was a forward, he was really only used as a forward because Drew Petrie broke his foot and missed 2010. Eventually he moved down back again.
I actually think as a rule the difference is goal kicking ability. All the other attributes suit both positions

TT is too valuable in the forward half to be playing half back. Bloke can easily average 22 & 1.5 a game
Horne, TT, Sleevo and JK can all play HFF, to midfield, to wing, to HBF so you could say that about all of them.

Put it this way in 3 years time who does the opposition coach put their best defender on?..

Maybe we should have a draft lottery system like the NBA. This thread wouldn't have existed, I would have been spared from reading a load of bs 'team X is clearly tanking' calls and a few posters around here would have their dignity intact.
In previous seasons there were some teams who should have had a tank painted on their run trough banners it was so obvious (except Melbourne who apparently didn't tank).

Having a bingo draw for the bottom 5 teams to get picks 1-5, another draw for teams 9 to 13 for the next five picks, then two similar draws for the top 8 would basically make tanking as obsolete as an M3 Stuart.

There’s a few out of contract small forwards like Gryan Miers, Jason Castagna, Dylan Moore and I think Billings could play that role well too
I like your thinking. Jag one of these blokes to free up Mahoney to spend more time in the midfield.

Horne, TT, Sleevo and JK can all play HFF, to midfield, to wing, to HBF so you could say that about all of them.

Put it this way in 3 years time who does the opposition coach put their best defender on?..
Horne is an unknown quantity at this stage. TT & Sleevo are capable of 20 and a goal and capable of doing it often enough. I don't think Kelly has the forward craft of either of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horne is an unknown quantity at this stage. TT & Sleevo are capable of 20 and a goal and capable of doing it often enough. I don't think Kelly has the forward craft of either of them.
You forgetting what Kelly does in front of goal? He kicks ******* rip snorters out of packs and on the outside. Cast your mind back to when he destroyed us a couple of months ago

You forgetting what Kelly does in front of goal? He kicks ******* rip snorters out of packs and on the outside. Cast your mind back to when he destroyed us a couple of months ago
He did that as a mid though, not a half forward flanker. I know I would rather Sleevo or TT as a forward rather than Josh.

He did that as a mid though, not a half forward flanker. I know I would rather Sleevo or TT as a forward rather than Josh.
You’re not reading the play mate, all 4 of them can play forward, midfield, wing or rebounding back flankers.. it doesn’t matter where you put them, if one gets off the chain we’ll hurt you, if two or three get off the chain we’ll belt you, if four get off the chain we’ll have a dynasty..

In previous seasons there were some teams who should have had a tank painted on their run trough banners it was so obvious (except Melbourne who apparently didn't tank).

Having a bingo draw for the bottom 5 teams to get picks 1-5, another draw for teams 9 to 13 for the next five picks, then two similar draws for the top 8 would basically make tanking as obsolete as an M3 Stuart.
Judging by whats been happening with the bottom teams this year, it looks like tanking is obsolete full stop
Didn't work for those teams who tried it, so looks like Clubs now are going full noise for as many wins as possible

It brings in the debate of the draw.

play everyone once

in the last 5 rounds.

Top 6 playoff for the top 4.
Middle 6 olay off for the last two spots in the 8.
Bottom 6 play off for draft order.

Ive always liked it, ive always thought it would create competitive games right till the end and bring dead rubbers into play.

The AFL should have introduced this ******* years ago and the PP given to clubs repeatedly uncompetitive. Also makes the draw fairer.

in the above scenario, we would get pick 1.

You’re not reading the play mate, all 4 of them can play forward, midfield, wing or rebounding back flankers.. it doesn’t matter where you put them, if one gets off the chain we’ll hurt you, if two or three get off the chain we’ll belt you, if four get off the chain we’ll have a dynasty..
I get it and I'm with you in that having weapons all over the park that can be interchangeable is a massive plus. My original point was that TT shouldn't be used in the back half - on-ball and forwardline is his go. I stand by that. Running into 50 having a shot he'd be the one I want with ball in hand (with Sleevo a close 2nd), plus he has the ability to jump and take a grab that none of the other 3 have. In my mind it's not a question of whether he can or can't play a position, but rather what is his most effective position going to be for us?

Forwards make great defenders. Generally really great readers of play. Tarrant is a fine example of a forward who went back and dominated. Majak is another. Lachie Hansen was a forward before defender. Thats the reasoning behind it.

Sure, he might make a 'great' defender but it would be negligent to trade good currency on a hypothetical.

Again, no issue picking him up for peanuts as forward depth otherwise let's find the next Dougal Howard type

Sure, he might make a 'great' defender but it would be negligent to trade good currency on a hypothetical.

Again, no issue picking him up for peanuts as forward depth otherwise let's find the next Dougal Howard type
Good currency? Lol what do you think it would cost in a trade? Late second round? Not selling the farm for him as a forward.

With Tex suspended for 6 weeks, I think his team-mates won't exactly be playing their guts out for the rest of the season. Presuming we now beat the Crows in the final round, I think tomorrow against the Tiges now shapes as the critical match regarding what draft pick we end up with!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back