The Race for Top 4

largebus

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nationals, Pelicans
It's a bit of white elephant for you, the whole 0 European trophies.
If i recall there was the old cup winners cup in 94 but that doesn't exist anymore. I only remember cause i had a friend who would go on and on about it

But its beside the point, maybe they can get past the round of 16 for once

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
If i recall there was the old cup winners cup in 94 but that doesn't exist anymore. I only remember cause i had a friend who would go on and on about it

But its beside the point, maybe they can get past the round of 16 for once
Talking more a European Cup, a UEFA Cup or a Super Cup. The real European trophies.

Oh and Arsenal fans, this wasnt a sly dig at you guys. But just a real possibility to win a European trophy. If your lot does end up in the EL I hope you would take is seriously, it's a great competition and would be a huge trophy for you guys to win.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Talking more a European Cup, a UEFA Cup or a Super Cup. The real European trophies.

Oh and Arsenal fans, this wasnt a sly dig at you guys. But just a real possibility to win a European trophy. If your lot does end up in the EL I hope you would take is seriously, it's a great competition and would be a huge trophy for you guys to win.

Some Arsenal fans have a huge superiority complex about the Europa League. They believe we're 'above' it and want to miss it altogether. Massive sense of entitlement.

The reality is Europa is Arsenal's standard at the moment, and is a genuine European trophy. There's an air of arrogance around some fans who don't want to admit this.

I'd hope we'd go al out to try and win it. Football to me is about winning, not finishing 4th and then getting torched in the round of 16.

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Melbourne Storm
Some Arsenal fans have a huge superiority complex about the Europa League. They believe we're 'above' it and want to miss it altogether. Massive sense of entitlement.

The reality is Europa is Arsenal's standard at the moment, and is a genuine European trophy. There's an air of arrogance around some fans who don't want to admit this.

I'd hope we'd go al out to try and win it. Football to me is about winning, not finishing 4th and then getting torched in the round of 16.

Is that because a lot of them have only been fans since the invincibles era?

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Is that because a lot of them have only been fans since the invincibles era?

That would probably account for a lot of them I'd say, but not all. There's also an element of those that have enjoyed the 20 or so years of consecutive champions league football, and those who have bought into the '4th place is a trophy' conditioning.

There's smugness of some who believe Europa/Thursday night football is just for Spurs etc, but the times have changed now.

So there's a variety of reasons for it. But the reality is, Europa is Arsenal's level and presents a realistic chance for a trophy. Much more than the league title, that's for sure.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams

I'm totally with you on this. Football is about winning. Whether you qualify for CL or EL, it's still a big European trophy and it's certainly easier to win the Europa League than it is the CL. You're still a chance to finish top four but if you miss out, I hope your fans really embrace. Enjoy a deep European ride and maybe win a big trophy.

I was gutted when we lost to Sevilla last year in the final. Would have loved to have won it.

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Melbourne Storm
I'm totally with you on this. Football is about winning. Whether you qualify for CL or EL, it's still a big European trophy and it's certainly easier to win the Europa League than it is the CL. You're still a chance to finish top four but if you miss out, I hope your fans really embrace. Enjoy a deep European ride and maybe win a big trophy.

I was gutted when we lost to Sevilla last year in the final. Would have loved to have won it.

Agreed, although UCL qualification helps the appeal too.

It is a shame that winning the competition is often seen as secondary to qualifying for another competition. If we end up in the Europa at some point in the future I hope we'll put everything into it.

I've really enjoyed our UEFA Cup/Europa experiences. Playing the likes of Lokeren, Lech Poznan etc. Many blues count the quarter final against Hamburg as the best atmosphere in the stadium after the 11\12 final game.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
One that your "reserves" couldn't win.

The quality of teams we played on the road to the final last season was very good for Europa League. United, Dortmund, Villarreal & Sevilla is 4 very tough opponents to play.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Problem with the EL is it's such a debilitating competition to be in that it affects your domestic form. The Thursday kick offs are a drain as are those far flung trips to the likes of Azerbaijan, trips you just don't get in the CL

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Problem with the EL is it's such a debilitating competition to be in that it affects your domestic form. The Thursday kick offs are a drain as are those far flung trips to the likes of Azerbaijan, trips you just don't get in the CL

Those trips are in the group stage and EPL clubs generally get away with fielding weakened teams most of the time. Not an issue at all with a big squad.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
There is absolutely no different playing Wed/Sat to Thur/Sun. None whatsoever. As for traveling, Azerbaijan is an extreme example. Often you will just be playing smaller clubs in closer, easier to get to countries like Belgium, Denmark, Poland etc which is no different than traveling to Spain, Germany, Italy for CL encounters.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Arsenal haven't one a European trophy though. I'm sure they'd jump at the chance to win either if the two on offer.
Arsenal have won a legitimate European trophy in 1994. That's still very poor for a club of their standing though

Flameboy

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
We coped with it well when we won it. You definitely gotta have squad depth, though.

We beat Benfica, Basel, Rubin Kazan, Bucharest and Sparta Prague on our way to winning it. I remember all our matches. It was a great comp.

Arsenal would be stupid to not take it seriously.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If they take it seriously they will struggle to finish top four considering the competition now. You have to play two extra knock out games as well which is being overlooked. Perhaps fans would prefer a tilt at the competition rather than trying to finish fourth though. But I think it always hindered our top four chances in those years we kept finishing fifth.

Back