The Race for Top 4

Remove this Banner Ad

If they take it seriously they will struggle to finish top four considering the competition now. You have to play two extra knock out games as well which is being overlooked. Perhaps fans would prefer a tilt at the competition rather than trying to finish fourth though. But I think it always hindered our top four chances in those years we kept finishing fifth.
But then this takes us back to the classic argument.

Is finishing top four better than winning a trophy.

You suggest bombing out of EL to make sure your league form is good so you can finish top four and play in the CL.

But you cant win the CL so what's the point.

Football is about winning trophies. Not qualifying for a tournament.

You suggest bombing out of EL to make sure your league form is good so you can finish top four and play in the CL.

You know who owns AFC right. Top 4 is the goal.

Well yes I'd rather win the EL than finish top four, although one of the reasons for that is it gets you in the CL. But my point is clubs are going to concentrate on finishing top 4 ahead of the EL because it's less of a lottery in achieving that goal.

Look at the wider picture on this though, winning the EL and finishing way off the pace in the league is probably indicative of a sub-par team, which isn't particularly encouraging. It also means you're gonna be pissed off a lot on Saturday afternoons!

The positives of CL football for a club like Spurs are more encompassing than the opportunity of winning it (as amazing as that would be). For us it increases the chances of keeping our top players satisfied plus gives us a chance of attracting a higher calibre of player to the club. It also raises our profile and finances. Finally it's still exciting for us. Your fans seem to be on a knife edge about qualifying for it next season, so I can assume all these things apply to Liverpool also.

Well yes I'd rather win the EL than finish top four, although one of the reasons for that is it gets you in the CL. But my point is clubs are going to concentrate on finishing top 4 ahead of the EL because it's less of a lottery in achieving that goal.

Look at the wider picture on this though, winning the EL and finishing way off the pace in the league is probably indicative of a sub-par team, which isn't particularly encouraging. It also means you're gonna be pissed off a lot on Saturday afternoons!

The positives of CL football for a club like Spurs are more encompassing than the opportunity of winning it (as amazing as that would be). For us it increases the chances of keeping our top players satisfied plus gives us a chance of attracting a higher calibre of player to the club. It also raises our profile and finances. Finally it's still exciting for us. Your fans seem to be on a knife edge about qualifying for it next season, so I can assume all these things apply to Liverpool also.
Well everybody wants CL football. I guess the old would you rather doesnt exist now. Because winning EL gets you into the CL so everyone is always gonna pick winning the EL.

Ill always take a trophy though over finishing top four. I dont remember the 03/04 Premier League season all that well. We finished fourth and qualified for CL but in the end it was just another nothing season really.

I do however remember the 2006 FA Cup final. Or the 2012 League Cup Final etc etc... winning trophies is what it's about for me.

Well everybody wants CL football. I guess the old would you rather doesnt exist now. Because winning EL gets you into the CL so everyone is always gonna pick winning the EL.

Ill always take a trophy though over finishing top four. I dont remember the 03/04 Premier League season all that well. We finished fourth and qualified for CL but in the end it was just another nothing season really.

I do however remember the 2006 FA Cup final. Or the 2012 League Cup Final etc etc... winning trophies is what it's about for me.
To be honest you need both. Finishing top four every season without winning anything becomes frustrating and ultimately unrewarding. However not finishing in the top four year after year but having a run of cup wins indicates a team that's either inconsistent or not truly competitive.

We won't win the league this season but I have enjoyed this campaign immensely. The reward is a trophy but the journey is what it's all about being a fan. I've seen a lot of decent Spurs teams not win trophies over the years, but I've also seen some very average sides win one. I'll certainly remember this Spurs team with more affection than I do the George Graham one that won a league cup in 1999.

To be honest you need both. Finishing top four every season without winning anything becomes frustrating and ultimately unrewarding. However not finishing in the top four year after year but having a run of cup wins indicates a team that's either inconsistent or not truly competitive.

We won't win the league this season but I have enjoyed this campaign immensely. The reward is a trophy but the journey is what it's all about being a fan. I've seen a lot of decent Spurs teams not win trophies over the years, but I've also seen some very average sides win one. I'll certainly remember this Spurs team with more affection than I do the George Graham one that won a league cup in 1999.
Fair enough. Always trophies for me. It's not about the team as such. More the occasion. Your team now is no doubt better than that 99 Spurs team but you still have something to remember that 99 lot by. A trophy. That's what it's all about.

Fair enough. Always trophies for me. It's not about the team as such. More the occasion. Your team now is no doubt better than that 99 Spurs team but you still have something to remember that 99 lot by. A trophy. That's what it's all about.
Trophies are not what it's solely all about, otherwise 90% of fans would have chucked it in years ago. A trophy is the bonus, and what we all hope to ultimately see our teams achieve. But there's much, much more to supporting a team in emotional terms. We should have won more than we have during my time supporting them, but we are not a club who are expected to win honours year in year out. As I said it's the journey you are on in supporting your team. If you win a trophy at the end of that journey then great - if you don't, then you go again next season. If you see it as only about the trophies then you are missing out on something.

Trophies are not what it's solely all about, otherwise 90% of fans would have chucked it in years ago. A trophy is the bonus, and what we all hope to ultimately see our teams achieve. But there's much, much more to supporting a team in emotional terms. We should have won more than we have during my time supporting them, but we are not a club who are expected to win honours year in year out. As I said it's the journey you are on in supporting your team. If you win a trophy at the end of that journey then great - if you don't, then you go again next season. If you see it as only about the trophies then you are missing out on something.
Well of course there is that. But the end goal remains the same. Win trophies.

Well of course there is that. But the end goal remains the same. Win trophies.
From your posts it's pretty obvious you chose to support Liverpool simply because they were the most successful club at that time. Nothing wrong with that, a lot of people follow that rule.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what will be a bigger choke?

Spuds choking 2nd away at a relegated Newcastle, or Liverpool choking top 4 away to a relegated Boro at home? :p

Them Gooners capitalising on our misfortunes again......
I'd say the Newcastle one by far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back