The Race for Top 4

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
All down to the final game, City only need a point to guarantee top 4 and a win for 3rd. Win for Liverpool and they guarantee top 4 as well, anything less and a win for us and we swoop in.

We could do it with 75 this season, madness.
A Liverpool choke on final day would be ironic

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
All down to the final game, City only need a point to guarantee top 4 and a win for 3rd. Win for Liverpool and they guarantee top 4 as well, anything less and a win for us and we swoop in.

We could do it with 75 this season, madness.

Yep that's pretty crazy, considering last year we achieved 71 points. Which was good enough for 2nd.

81 points last year won the league, Spurs look set to surpass that comfortably but again it's is only good enough for 2nd this season. Such fluctuations year to year.

It highlights again how much the 'big teams' underperformed last year.

I'm more content now with where United have finished up.

Finishing fourth means you have to play two extra games to qualify, in our position we just have to win one game to go straight through to the group stages.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
I'm more content now with where United have finished up.

Finishing fourth means you have to play two extra games to qualify, in our position we just have to win one game to go straight through to the group stages.
Apparently that's not the case this year.

Sevilla had Barca and RM winning CL the first 2 years where EL got a CL spot which freed up an automatic CL spot in Spain, so Sevilla were the beneficiaries those years and not whoever finished 4th, 4th went into the knockout qualifiers.

You'll have to qualify yourselves if you win as Italy/Spain have that advantage this year. 3rd in Italy or 4th in Spain I'd expect will be upgraded to the groups depending on who wins.

Apparently that's not the case this year.

Sevilla had Barca and RM winning CL the first 2 years where EL got a CL spot which freed up an automatic CL spot in Spain, so Sevilla were the beneficiaries those years and not whoever finished 4th, 4th went into the knockout qualifiers.

You'll have to qualify yourselves if you win as Italy/Spain have that advantage this year. 3rd in Italy or 4th in Spain I'd expect will be upgraded to the groups depending on who wins.
Already confirmed that United go straight through if they win.

What happens if City lose by 1 goal and Arsenal win by 4? Is that also a playoff scenario?
It depends. Points, goal difference and goals scored.

If that is all tied we go into a playoff with Arsenal for 3rd/4th thinking ourselves very lucky Liverpool lost to Boro.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ah I remember the days of being involved in these equations on the final day. Awfully stressful. Try to stay calm boys

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It must have really sucked in 2012 when you thought you had qualified only for Chelsea to troll you guys with an unlikely CL win.
There's a bit of a running theme in that with us and Chelsea of late. campaigners

Was thinking the other day is it only Spurs that have choked up a champions league place on the last day. Lasagna-gate was very funny to everyone else but must have been gutting to Spurs. And then making it and getting booted by Chelsea must have been equally galling.

Must say if we managed to utensil up on the weekend I won't be too upset. We lose money but we're pretty sound financially nowadays. We might miss out on a player or two but I'm finding that I'm preferring signing with potential, flaws and all to ready made stars.

Europa is a lesser comp, but a good comp. And I'd look forward to us playing in it.

Only thing that would really annoy me would be the press making a meal of it all summer.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was thinking the other day is it only Spurs that have choked up a champions league place on the last day. Lasagna-gate was very funny to everyone else but must have been gutting to Spurs. And then making it and getting booted by Chelsea must have been equally galling.

Must say if we managed to utensil up on the weekend I won't be too upset. We lose money but we're pretty sound financially nowadays. We might miss out on a player or two but I'm finding that I'm preferring signing with potential, flaws and all to ready made stars.

Europa is a lesser comp, but a good comp. And I'd look forward to us playing in it.
Everton kind of ****ed up when they qualified and then lost in the play off.

Yeah we've been unlucky. The season we finished fourth we really should have come third. Harry became ill and was hospitalised and then he was courting the England job. Team lost focus and Arsenal pipped us for third. Lasagne gate season to be fair we were punching above our weight but it was still typical Spurs

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.

Only thing that would really annoy me would be the press making a meal of it all summer.
Not to mention, you're pretty set players wise. Lots of cracking young talent. A year out of the CL wont hurt you too much. Having said that, you will finish 3rd.

Back