The race for top 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems wide open now other than the Eagles.

Swans well placed but probably have the toughest draw in the comp over the next 4 weeks. Get through with at least 2 wins and we should be ok for top 4 by the end of the season.

I still can't figure out if we are a genuine threat though. We are not as strong as 2014 to 2016 but 9 wins and 3 losses ( inc a 2 point and 10 point loss) is a good spot to be in obviously.

with our next 7 games containing geelong x2, sydney (neutral), adelaide (home), gws (away) and collingwood, we arent making top 4 unless we can get out of our current form slump. we absolutely have to win at least 3 of those but i only put us as favourites against adelaide on current form.

looking at fixtures im reckoning west coast, sydney, geelong with probably collingwood sneaking the last spot (they barely leave the state again and two of those are freo and suns). port have an easy fixture but i dont trust them at all.

Seems wide open now other than the Eagles.

Swans well placed but probably have the toughest draw in the comp over the next 4 weeks. Get through with at least 2 wins and we should be ok for top 4 by the end of the season.

I still can't figure out if we are a genuine threat though. We are not as strong as 2014 to 2016 but 9 wins and 3 losses ( inc a 2 point and 10 point loss) is a good spot to be in obviously.

Very tricky run home for the swans. Only 1 game (gold coast) that looks a lock and plenty of tricky opponents. Games like essendon away, GWS away and Hawthorn are potential banana skins and they're the easier games on paper. If the swans solidify top 4 with their draw it'll be well deserved and they'll be battle hardened for finals.

It’s too early to tell bar eagles who could go 6-5 and make top 4 still

But Richmond will make top 4

Swans will

...leaves one spot .....Melbourne ....I know pies win today but think dees will get on a roll again

Pies winning the flag would not surprise me.

Last week i would have laughed in the face of the idea, but makes a lot of sense. Alot of class in the middle, a few guys up forward who have stepped up: de goey and Stephenson (who could deservedly win the rising star) hoskin elliot, and some strong defenders in crisp and adams. Not to mention, they are used to playing in front of big crowds at the G.

Footy will footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cats v Tigs, Swans v Eagles and Port v Dees are the big three match ups in the next two weeks. We could be looking at one game separating from 2nd to 8th after the bye rounds with some sides who are capable of very good football (GWS, Hawks and possibly Adelaide) breathing down their necks. Looks like an exciting finals race this year!

Eagles, Swans, Tigers, Collingwood, Geelong, Port, Dees - All in line for top 4. None guaranteed yet although probably lock eagles in.

Hawks, Crows, GWS, North after the last spot. Tipping Hawks.

Pies winning the flag would not surprise me.

Last week i would have laughed in the face of the idea, but makes a lot of sense. Alot of class in the middle, a few guys up forward who have stepped up: de goey and Stephenson (who could deservedly win the rising star) hoskin elliot, and some strong defenders in crisp and adams. Not to mention, they are used to playing in front of big crowds at the G.

Footy will footy.

Like it.

Wouldn't me either. But if you look at who is locked in it is that even.

Could just as easily be GWS finishing 8th and getting on a roll with good match ups and a Sydney game.

That week off really does make it interesting.

Hawks, Crows, GWS, North after the last spot. Tipping Hawks.

If the last two weeks are a sign that GWS have remembered how to play, they will make it in a canter. They still have the strongest list in the competition. In particular, Kelly is now back and has found form. Even when he was in the team at the start of the year he didn’t look fit. Now he does.

Getting Greene back in a month or so will make a huge difference to them if he is properly ready. And if Scully is able to return in time for the finals they could go all the way.

If the last two weeks are a sign that GWS have remembered how to play, they will make it in a canter. They still have the strongest list in the competition. In particular, Kelly is now back and has found form. Even when he was in the team at the start of the year he didn’t look fit. Now he does.

Getting Greene back in a month or so will make a huge difference to them if he is properly ready. And if Scully is able to return in time for the finals they could go all the way.

They are poorly coached though

GWS resurgence in the last 2 weeks has certainly ignited 2018. Interested to see what damage they can do from here. Still, only an out-of-form Adelaide and Suns, we'll wait and see whether their form is consistent. West Coast (away), Richmond and Port (away) will be a stern test for them in a few weeks.

I feel Adelaide, Hawthorn and Essendon, despite being capable of good footy, will all come up short in the end, the 8 is getting too vicious. Something lofty like the Giants going 13-8-1 (54pts) could be the cutoff. I don't expect the 8 to change from here, although stranger things have happened to the Demons.

Either supporters are an intrinsically pessimistic group or people really believe in reverse jinxes going by most of the posts on here.

As someone fairly objective as my club is nowhere near it right now - WC look like a lock, Richmond likely to make it, Sydney next best bet and then one of Pies/Cats/Demons. Injuries might screw one or more of these teams up, hopefully not, but my guess would be the pies. Maybe recency bias at play here, but their next month looks straightforward and sets them up for a push in the second half of the year. Plus they’ve got the best midfield of those contenders and are finding a way to goal which is pretty convincing.

Just a random stat.

West Coast has nudged past Essendon into 3rd in club winning percentage (behind Collingwood and Carlton): 416-6-318

West Coast v Collingwood is also locked at 24-1-24. So their MCG clash in a few weeks is not only their 50th encounter, but will tip the h2h.

A very unbalanced draw this year and therefore top 4 favorites will be indicated at the end our round 17 at earliest.

e.g. Dees play Swans, Eagles (for the first time) and Giants in the last 3 rounds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back