The rain

Remove this Banner Ad

Feeling ostracised and lonely, the rain finally has its own thread.

Post your stories about the rains.

392f.jpg

200w.gif

I've had enough. I live on NSW side of the Murray, people are out making sandbags, the amount of panic and hysteria is crazy. There is a levee bank here, absolutely no way the town can flood. Apart from about 2 hours this arvo, it has rained all day, yesterday wasn't much better. 2 years ago everybody around here was whinging about being in a drought. Can't win.

I've had enough. I live on NSW side of the Murray, people are out making sandbags, the amount of panic and hysteria is crazy. There is a levee bank here, absolutely no way the town can flood. Apart from about 2 hours this arvo, it has rained all day, yesterday wasn't much better. 2 years ago everybody around here was whinging about being in a drought. Can't win.
Bold of you to do the people complaining about a drought can't complain about a flood
Stupid but bold

From the government warnings and media reports you would think the whole of Victoria is underwater. The reality is that a few places have flooded that are regularly prone to flooding. For example, Seymour flooded in 1870, 1917, 1923, 1934, 1939, 1953, 1961, 1966, 1973, 2013. Rochester flooded in 1870, 1919, 1956, 2011. Thousands of homes in Castlemaine are without power because of water levels at the substation - when the substation could have easily been relocated to nearby slightly higher ground years ago.

In my area we've got the usual two roads that get water over them when there's a lot of rain. Strangely, there's no appetite by Geelong council to raise the level of those roads.

My son is in the local SES. He says there's been a big demand for sandbags. But the only water damage has been where people's drains have been blocked.

All fun and games till the levee breaks.
Then you'll wish you had sandbags.

From the government warnings and media reports you would think the whole of Victoria is underwater. The reality is that a few places have flooded that are regularly prone to flooding. For example, Seymour flooded in 1870, 1917, 1923, 1934, 1939, 1953, 1961, 1966, 1973, 2013. Rochester flooded in 1870, 1919, 1956, 2011. Thousands of homes in Castlemaine are without power because of water levels at the substation - when the substation could have easily been relocated to nearby slightly higher ground years ago.

In my area we've got the usual two roads that get water over them when there's a lot of rain. Strangely, there's no appetite by Geelong council to raise the level of those roads.

My son is in the local SES. He says there's been a big demand for sandbags. But the only water damage has been where people's drains have been blocked.
Take it you don't travel much outside your little bubble. You son sounds like he doesn't either. Lucky you to be in a area with no flooding. Go look at the Vic traffic report and see how many roads have flooded with no access too.

This isn't a minor event. Even Maryibnong was told to evacuate just an hour ago.

Last edited:
Take it you don't travel much outside your little bubble. You son sounds like he doesn't either. Lucky you to be in a area with no flooding. Go look at the Vic traffic report and see how many roads have flooded with no access too.

This isn't a minor event. Even Maryibnong was told to evacuate just an hour ago.

Of course it's not a minor event for those impacted. But alarmism to scare a whole state is counterproductive. The suburb of Maribyrnong is not being evacuated. There's a number of properties near the river that are under threat, in an area that has had 27 recorded floods since 1871 with large floods occurring approximately every 10-20 years.

Those maps you posted can be misleading and lead to unnecessary anxiety. I live near one of those big red circles. When I click on it I see the same two roads are closed that always close when there's heavy rain. The local residents just shrug their shoulders and drive the long way to the supermarket. Drilling down into the scary orange triangles in Geelong there's flooding at Edward's Point and Point Wilson - where no one lives. Then a couple of 'requests for assistance' which are usually blocked drains or leaking roofs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just pray Lake Eildon doesn't spill. It went from 97.7 yesterday and now it's 99.5.
spudmaster topical .... :O

Yikes. It's crazy that I saw Lake Eildon in June 2019 and the water level was so low I was shocked lol.

My boyfriend lives in Yarra Glen (on higher ground thankfully) and he shared this with me:

310579925_362122766069221_357127390887831800_n.jpg

The Yarra has flooded there before; it spreads to nearby wetlands/low-lying areas by the racecourse and main shopping centre.

spudmaster topical .... :O

Yikes. It's crazy that I saw Lake Eildon in June 2019 and the water level was so low I was shocked lol.

My boyfriend lives in Yarra Glen (on higher ground thankfully) and he shared this with me:

View attachment 1536065

The Yarra has flooded there before; it spreads to nearby wetlands/low-lying areas by the racecourse and main shopping centre.
Whoa topical indeed mate!
Appreciate the tag 👍

Of course it's not a minor event for those impacted. But alarmism to scare a whole state is counterproductive. The suburb of Maribyrnong is not being evacuated. There's a number of properties near the river that are under threat, in an area that has had 27 recorded floods since 1871 with large floods occurring approximately every 10-20 years.

Those maps you posted can be misleading and lead to unnecessary anxiety. I live near one of those big red circles. When I click on it I see the same two roads are closed that always close when there's heavy rain. The local residents just shrug their shoulders and drive the long way to the supermarket. Drilling down into the scary orange triangles in Geelong there's flooding at Edward's Point and Point Wilson - where no one lives. Then a couple of 'requests for assistance' which are usually blocked drains or leaking roofs.
being a bit of a flog today aren't you

1665719779704.png
1665720007091.png

You wouldn't happen to work for the VRC would you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back