Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

You are not a great band unless your keyboard player wears a cape.

The number of people over the years who have said to me Rick Wakeman is an amazing keyboard player, but such a dickhead.
Funny how there is still no modern instrument sounds like a mini-moog.

The number of people over the years who have said to me Rick Wakeman is an amazing keyboard player, but such a dickhead.
Funny how there is still no modern instrument sounds like a mini-moog.

A friend who's wife works for JJJ got us free tickets to see Yes about 10 years ago. I've never been a fan but they were good. Wakeman looked like something straight out of Spinal Tapp though. He was wearing a wizard cape. I've never been anywhere in the world where so many middle age men with ponytails draped over bald patches were congregating. It was like where all the world's eels meet up in the Sargasso Sea.

A friend who's wife works for JJJ got us free tickets to see Yes about 10 years ago. I've never been a fan but they were good. Wakeman looked like something straight out of Spinal Tapp though. He was wearing a wizard cape. I've never been anywhere in the world where so many middle age men with ponytails draped over bald patches were congregating. It was like where all the world's eels meet up in the Sargasso Sea.

What are JJJ doing getting Yes tickets , are they catering to the "aging hippy" genre now or did you end up with them because none of their listeners rang in to get them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are JJJ doing getting Yes tickets , are they catering to the "aging hippy" genre now or did you end up with them because none of their listeners rang in to get them?
They used to get tickets to everything but you had to request them and they kind of raffle them off. Yes didn’t have many takers. The Strokes was the only goodish band I got tickets for through her.

You're like the male version of Hyacinth Bucket

You know you’re on an internet forum when people are incredulous about people having friends.

Anyone here thinking that 'Age is just a number' well I can tell you its not entirely true. Last night I played a game of basketball in a competition catering mainly for men in their 40's and 30's. First game for me competitively in 28 years,
the last was in a local comp in Elwood C grade i believe maybe D...if there was one.

Anyway I was in the mindset that I would cope no matter what...I knew I could play reasonably well, perhaps more of a notion about readiness to step back in time. Not saying you cant but omg, once I got on court?...Some of these guys were fast and quite skilled. Long ways from jungle ball down the peanut farm when practicing for games all those years ago.

I survived...but the thing that hit me most was, that despite preparation with plenty of gym and swim work, my lack of sustainable aerobic capacity was at woeful levels...(notwithstanding loosing 16kgs from 126kgs at worst to now 110 kgs. I'm 184 cms so probably another 10kgs to go. I've always been solidly built but still had some moves. Nonetheless it was a massive leap from notion to reality.

I managed about 10mins on the court. Playing a subbing role as the lone bench man being the 6th in the squad. Brand new to the team I felt I could find the right space just couldn't keep up with the up and back defence to offence etc...
None the less a thoroughly amazing time, just to get back on the court...Inspired by my 13 yr old grandson...watching so many games and training sessions...i just got sick of watching and wanted to feel that buzz that only taking the field can provide..

Yes I have a long way to go...but I've been asked to play again, albeit in a very modest role...I'm very happy to have got that far. It just goes to show even at 62 its not too late ...you just to have a little bucket close by incase of that inevitable moment when you are seduced into pushing too hard.. but all in all...loved the experience.

Now to work on the aerobic side...running and jogging I guess ..intervals etc ..not sure!

Anyone here thinking that 'Age is just a number' well I can tell you its not entirely true. Last night I played a game of basketball in a competition catering mainly for men in their 40's and 30's. First game for me competitively in 28 years,
the last was in a local comp in Elwood C grade i believe maybe D...if there was one.

Anyway I was in the mindset that I would cope no matter what...I knew I could play reasonably well, perhaps more of a notion about readiness to step back in time. Not saying you cant but omg, once I got on court?...Some of these guys were fast and quite skilled. Long ways from jungle ball down the peanut farm when practicing for games all those years ago.

I survived...but the thing that hit me most was, that despite preparation with plenty of gym and swim work, my lack of sustainable aerobic capacity was at woeful levels...(notwithstanding loosing 16kgs from 126kgs at worst to now 110 kgs. I'm 184 cms so probably another 10kgs to go. I've always been solidly built but still had some moves. Nonetheless it was a massive leap from notion to reality.

I managed about 10mins on the court. Playing a subbing role as the lone bench man being the 6th in the squad. Brand new to the team I felt I could find the right space just couldn't keep up with the up and back defence to offence etc...
None the less a thoroughly amazing time, just to get back on the court...Inspired by my 13 yr old grandson...watching so many games and training sessions...i just got sick of watching and wanted to feel that buzz that only taking the field can provide..

Yes I have a long way to go...but I've been asked to play again, albeit in a very modest role...I'm very happy to have got that far. It just goes to show even at 62 its not too late ...you just to have a little bucket close by incase of that inevitable moment when you are seduced into pushing too hard.. but all in all...loved the experience.

Now to work on the aerobic side...running and jogging I guess ..intervals etc ..not sure!
Before the pandemic I ran a 1hour .53 minute half marathon at 59.
At 62, I run with mates on a Monday, last run we needed to stop 3 times in a 6 k run.

My cardiovascular capacity has dropped off a cliff. Dont know if I will ever get it back.

Love this so much prophetic.

Have been involved in basketball for decades and play masters - will see you at the masters last one was on the Gold Coast. My kids play and I am in a governance role here in Tas. Rolled my ankle a couple of weeks ago playing and damn frustrated wanting to get back.

Inspiring post, I need to get back on the court. You learn to play smarter, not run as much, occasional hold on the rebound and read the play. They may be fast does not mean they play smart. If you are on the court you are doing well - respect!!!!

Great post, thanks for doings so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back