Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael Hutchence
He used to buy weed from a hipster NZ guy called Roaul, who lived downstairs from me in in a small block of flats in Elsternwick in the early 1980's when they were in town. Sometimes with some other guys in the band. Quite a nice guy and sort of shy. He bought a Citroen DS Safari (wagon) off Roaul for way too much money and drove it back to Sydney. One time he had a tape of two songs they were tossing up for their new single. My friend and I were sax players mostly interested in jazz and he'd heard us practicing upstairs while he is smoking dope with Roaul. So he plays both these songs for me and asks me what I think and I tell him the second one is defiantly a hit - which was "Original Sin" and he got pretty excited and says "So you really like it ?" or something and I say no man, I don't like it at all, it's not the kind of music I am into but I can see it's gonna be a hit. He kind of freaked, couldn't understand why I didn't love it. So a bit of a w***er, as all rock stars are I suppose.

Last edited:
He used to buy weed from a guy Raul, who lived downstairs from me in in a small block of flats in Elsternwick in the early 1980's. Sometimes with some other guys in the band. Quite a nice guy and sort of shy. He bought a Citroen DS Safari (wagon) off Raul for way too much money and drove it back to Sydney. One time he had a tape of two songs they were tossing up for their new single. My friend and I were sax players mostly interested in jazz and he'd heard us practicing upstairs while he is smoking dope with Raul. So he plays both these songs for me and asks me what I think and I tell him the second one is defiantly a hit - which was "Original Sin" and he got pretty excited and says "So you really like it ?" or something and I say no man, I don't like it at all, it's not the kind of music I am into but I can see it's gonna be a hit. He kind of freaked, couldn't understand why I didn't love it. So a bit of a w***er, as all rock stars are I suppose.
Hardly the kind of track that needs sax or jazz input.

Even what found its way in was utterly redundant. They had an interesting sound, but never understood the fandom.

Just a series of ditties with staccato hooks and pounds of vocal reverb.

I think Mr Bungle killed New Wave for me.

Last edited:
Hardly the kind of track that needs sax or jazz input.
He was stoned and was asking for opinions on his bloody demo tape. Because I was a "jazz musician" or trying to be, he thought I knew more about music than he did, which I actually did, and so valued my opinion, until he asked for it and couldn't handle what I was telling him. I was right though, the song was a hit. I still don't like it or INXS. They were what they were - pop/rock with vague white funk influences late but basically fast food bogan FM McDonalds hamburger Muzak - which is why Port Adelaide love them and play that fu*&ing crap before the start of every home game. So sorry if you still have a hard on for him mate.

Last edited:

Yes, and eventually one gets found out if you have absolutely zero understanding of physics / thermodynamics when selling pie-in-the-sky dreams.

Elon is going to become this chick one day when dopey governments realise they've been shamwow'd repeatedly:

His manipulation of the crypto stuff is as dodgy as * but that chick was a straight out scammer. Musk is more a nut job futurist that doesn't see any reason not to do mad stuff. His Space X rockets that return to earth and land are pretty impressive.

He was stoned and was asking for opinions on his bloody demo tape. Because I was a "jazz musician" or trying to be, he thought I knew more about music than he did, which I actually did, and so valued my opinion, until he asked for it and couldn't handle what I was telling him. I was right though, the song was a hit. I still don't like it or INXS. They were what they were - pop/rock with vague white funk influences late but basically fast food bogan FM McDonalds hamburger Muzak - which is why Port Adelaide love them and play that fu*&ing crap before the start of every home game. So sorry if you still have a hard on for him mate.

I met him when I was an extra in Dog In Space when I was about 13. They rounded up alternative kids and I was so self conscious that every scene I was in got cut :(. He was shy as you said but quite affected as well. I was too much of a w***er about music to like them at the time but I don't mind them now. They started as an Aussie new wave band and were running against the current of hard rocking pub bands of the time which was at least something different.

Never liked INXS, knew them second hand when they lived on the north shore of Sydney in the early 80's. Went to a few party's some were at including Michael, had a quick chat but they were too cool for the likes of me.
Saw them twice once at a festival at Narara North of Sydney in 1984. In one night saw Sandii and the Sunsetz, The Pretenders, Simple Minds, INXS, Talking Heads and Mental as Anything.
Talking Heads played their Stop Making Sense set. Has spoilt me for rock concerts ever since.
INXS always sounded like they we a couple of tracks missing from their mixes.

His manipulation of the crypto stuff is as dodgy as fu** but that chick was a straight out scammer. Musk is more a nut job futurist that doesn't see any reason not to do mad stuff. His Space X rockets that return to earth and land are pretty impressive.
i suppose in the future if we all survive they will probably all be executed...but its ELON's willingness to be considered ridiculous , his outrageousness and his vulnerability (to a degree) that endears him to me. I guess when the time comes i will give him the choice as to which way he wants to depart this world.....but he'll still be in the queue.

Never liked INXS, knew them second hand when they lived on the north shore of Sydney in the early 80's. Went to a few party's some were at including Michael, had a quick chat but they were too cool for the likes of me.
Saw them twice once at a festival at Narara North of Sydney in 1984. In one night saw Sandii and the Sunsetz, The Pretenders, Simple Minds, INXS, Talking Heads and Mental as Anything.
Talking Heads played their Stop Making Sense set. Has spoilt me for rock concerts ever since.
INXS always sounded like they we a couple of tracks missing from their mixes.
Would have been good to see Talking Heads. I really like their early stuff. Just for something to do, here is my list of some of the best gigs I've been
to in no particular order:
Bob Marley & the Wailers at Festival Hall 1979
David Bowie at the MCG 1978 (Got in for free)
Bob Dylan at the Bowl in the rain and mud 1978 (Got in for free)
Art Pepper at the Prince of Wales 1981
Peter Tosh at the Bowl 1983
World Saxophone Quartet 1991
Sonny Stitt at the Beaconsfield Hotel early 80's
The Reels at the Chapel Street Festival early 80's
Pal Dog Food at Christ Church, Acland St, St Kilda Festival 1991
Unconscious Collective, Baden Powell Hotel, Spoleto Fringe Festival 1988
Birthday Party at Seaview Ballroom 1980 or 1981
Miles Davis, Concert Hall, 1988 (Got in for free)
Stevie Ray Vaughan, Concert Hall, 1984
:)

Last edited:
I met him when I was an extra in Dog In Space when I was about 13. They rounded up alternative kids and I was so self conscious that every scene I was in got cut :(. He was shy as you said but quite affected as well. I was too much of a w***er about music to like them at the time but I don't mind them now. They started as an Aussie new wave band and were running against the current of hard rocking pub bands of the time which was at least something different.
Nothing has changed then, that's good to know. A little irrelevant cling-on riding the coat tails of real stars.

Elon's tunnels are genuinely hilarious.

It's literally just Tesla's on underground roads which will apparently not suffer from traffic because Elon said so.

The positive thing is that his tunnels are the same diameter as as the London underground so when they inevitably fall into public hands they can at least be used for something useful by sticking trains in them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing has changed then, that's good to know. A little irrelevant cling-on riding the coat tails of real stars.

I did a screen test for a couple of shows over the years and when they put a camera on me I become an idiot. I look at the camera out of the corner of my eye and start to talk like a I'm slow. It's harder than it looks. We had a few friends in film school and I did a few student movies and was always given decent roles until they saw me fall apart in front of camera and then I was benched or put in the background. campaigners had no ability to spot talent when they saw it.

It's literally just Tesla's on underground roads which will apparently not suffer from traffic because Elon said so.

The positive thing is that his tunnels are the same diameter as as the London underground so when they inevitably fall into public hands they can at least be used for something useful by sticking trains in them.

As if the public are allowed to have anything in the US.

Redundant then?

I mean, there was a point until there wasn't a point, hypothetically?
Just couldn’t be bothered with you at 6.30 in the morning

I did a screen test for a couple of shows over the years and when they put a camera on me I become an idiot. I look at the camera out of the corner of my eye and start to talk like a I'm slow. It's harder than it looks. We had a few friends in film school and I did a few student movies and was always given decent roles until they saw me fall apart in front of camera and then I was benched or put in the background. campaigners had no ability to spot talent when they saw it.
It's like the human version of the observer effect.

I saw him at a grocery store in 1994. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

He's invented the car version of the Adelaide o-bahn

I saw him at a grocery store in 1994. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
Space cadet.

The ELON Ranger

Well I guess being laughed at it is the realm saved for comedians................ and those that have ideas, which at the time they are proposed, are somewhat laughable...often to prove genius, when the world catches up! Most artists will confess that their best works are oft born of their lesser unresolved ideas or exploration.
I have as one of my favorite quotations ... by Prof David BOHM, who has been described as one of the most significant theoretical physicists of the 20th century and who contributed unorthodox ideas to quantum theory, neuropsychology and the philosophy of mind.(wp)

''The ability to perceive or think differently is more important than the knowledge gained"

The up shot of which is,....Sure people can accuse people like ELON of being messy and ridiculous but he has the capacity to bring to the forefront, boldness and inventiveness of thought and action.....rare in itself. He's not the lone (interestingly an anagram for ELON) ranger either but I enjoy his spirit. I'd say Soul but Billionaires don't have one!

Last edited:

I just bought a new car
Just a little 4x2 hilux workmate white with black trim black nudge bar etc
I’m looking for some red mags to put in it
Saints Ute hahahah woo hookoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back