Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not as much into Touring Car racing as I was in the golden era of Holden/Ford & Brock/Moffat. The creation of the generic Car Of The Future, the increased push for parity and the demise of Holden and Ford as Australian manufacturers has, in my opinion, created a rather dull category. Nonetheless when I watch it I tend to ‘barrack’ for the GM product.

One Ford driver I’ve always had a soft spot for is Thomas Randle. A fellow Victorian and a driver who showed enormous potential in Europe in open wheelers until the money ran out. Back home he struggled to get into the main game, with a cancer diagnosis causing further interruptions to his life and career. Nonetheless his talent continues to shine through.

Anyhoo, I saw Thomas this morning on the Fox Footy Longest Kick into the Yarra River thingy where he was a ‘fill in’. Sporting a Nick Riewoldt badge and confessing to being a huge Saints fan now ensures I’ll be cheering him on at Bathurst and beyond.

Even if he is driving a bloody Mustang (or a Mustang variant of the COTF anyway) 🤪

06PclB8.jpg

I’m not as much into Touring Car racing as I was in the golden era of Holden/Ford & Brock/Moffat. The creation of the generic Car Of The Future, the increased push for parity and the demise of Holden and Ford as Australian manufacturers has, in my opinion, created a rather dull category. Nonetheless when I watch it I tend to ‘barrack’ for the GM product.

One Ford driver I’ve always had a soft spot for is Thomas Randle. A fellow Victorian and a driver who showed enormous potential in Europe in open wheelers until the money ran out. Back home he struggled to get into the main game, with a cancer diagnosis causing further interruptions to his life and career. Nonetheless his talent continues to shine through.

Anyhoo, I saw Thomas this morning on the Fox Footy Longest Kick into the Yarra River thingy where he was a ‘fill in’. Sporting a Nick Riewoldt badge and confessing to being a huge Saints fan now ensures I’ll be cheering him on at Bathurst and beyond.

Even if he is driving a bloody Mustang (or a Mustang variant of the COTF anyway) 🤪

06PclB8.jpg

He was on last night sporting a saints scarf, I forget which sporting show as I had them on background so whichever ones had a final episode thing.

Still can't support him for the majors though, still have to tow company line and support team 18, so he can come second.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
Did i just hear an add that said, "Don't get the wrong footy Ketchup....ask for Heinz"

KETCHUP!!!! KETCHUP!!! PIE WITH BLOODY KETCHUP!!!

* off Heinz, to paraphrase Pauline Hanson, go back where you came from.

Leave behind the Dead Horse.
Ok tomato ketchup, it’s not like they were spruiking brown sauce and imo Heinz is the best 🤣🤣

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Well when you’ve got a travel “habit“ you have to indulge, working hard is a necessity.

Have had the travel bug since we backpacked around the world for a year after we got married - my first visit to Aus - and have done many trips since, especially since my kids finished school.

So I’m not overly into material goods, drive a basic model HRV and prefer to spend my money on making memories. I write a blog for family and interested friends when we travel and make photo books when I get back and love revisiting all the places we’ve been.
Same here. Got the travel bug big time. The Broome to Darwin trip was ok for a trip first in three years so we said * it, over Christmas and new year going to Sumatra to see the orang-utans in the wild, and bathe Sumatra elephants who are in a national park sanctuary, then off to Java to travel overland for two weeks ending up in Bali.
Europe again next year. Need to keep working but cutting down to a 9 day fortnight.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
You can work smart not hard. Well maybe not smart but you can manipulate your life to suit your laziness. Realistically I just bought a house young and made a few investments because I was privileged enough to have family who could help me out with a deposit and knew I could * it all up and be okay. I disgust myself with how disengaged I am. I admire drive and ambition but just don't have it in me. People who make something from nothing are incredible.

Where are you going next DS? We are thinking of going back to Europe again next year. Try driving around the UK, Sicily and maybe Scandinavia or something if we can work it in. Tom Joad reckons some of those islands between Scotland and Norway are incredible. Perhaps something like the Shetlands after doing the UK.
Agreed with drive and ambition, I have none. Have held high management positions but hated every second, hated 'managing' people and their ****ed up emotional lives, like I gave a s**t.
Chucked it in to be just a cog in the wheel as a Systems Accountant, dropped a substantial amount in salary, but my mental well being is more important to me.

Luckily investments have paid off, but didn't bank on having an autistic kid that while extremely high functioning has the financial acumen of a toddler so she lives with us so we can't just up sticks and * off for months on end.
Looking to cut down to 4 days a week next year, luckily we cashed out on some investments last year and were too lazy to whack into our super (apart from the tax effect concessional accumulation of 50k each we put in to minimise CGT) so we are actually only losing about 3% a year when inflation is taken into account.
Shares are tanking so looking like I can't retire completely before 65.

Oh well sucks to be me.

Last edited:
Ok tomato ketchup, it’s not like they were spruiking brown sauce and imo Heinz is the best 🤣🤣

It is the best but it's still unAustralian to call it ketchup.

Agreed with drive and ambition, I have none. Have held high management positions but hated every second, hated 'managing' people and their *ed up emotional lives, like I gave a s**t.
Chucked it in to be just a cog in the wheel as a Systems Accountant, dropped a substantial amount in salary, but my mental well being is more important to me.

Luckily investments have paid off, but didn't bank on having an autistic kid that while extremely high functioning has the financial acumen of a toddler so she lives with us so we can't just up sticks and * off for months on end.
Looking to cut down to 4 days a week next year, luckily we cashed out on some investments last year and were too lazy to whack into our super (apart from the tax effect concessional accumulation of 50k each we put in to minimise CGT) so we are actually only losing about 3% a year when inflation is taken into account.
Shares are tanking so looking like I can't retire completely before 65.

Oh well sucks to be me.

Once you got into anything that sounded financial my brain just shut off. I have one kid who is an absolute hopeless case with money and one scrooge who will make a heap in what ever they do. I think my daughter is going to be a permanent drain on our resources and has my kind of s**t work ethic, it's not a great combo

Yeah, we bought some shares and crypto just before everything shat itself. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, everything has been luck so far.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Once you got into anything that sounded financial my brain just shut off. I have one kid who is an absolute hopeless case with money and one scrooge who will make a heap in what ever they do. I think my daughter is going to be a permanent drain on our resources and has my kind of s**t work ethic, it's not a great combo

Yeah, we bought some shares and crypto just before everything shat itself. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, everything has been luck so far.
Everything is always luck. Bought Telstra shares at 7.00 about 20 years ago, now worth about three.
As I said we left our cashed out investments in the bank, if we stuck it in super which is reliant on shares we would have lost a fortune, because its cash, we are about 10% better. Laziness is key to investing

I don’t know how you can do without Worcestershire sauce, I love it as a condiment but we also use it in quite a few recipes.

I love the stuff, its my go to on steak and lamb chops.
I don't normally choose to have tomato soup, but when i bow to group pressure, mine has a liberal dash of Worsteshire.

Its best when you get to the end of the bottle, as a lot of the spicy stuff has dropped to the bottom and its super concentrated.

They did a fruity HP for a bit and i could only find it in woolies
Csnt seem to see it anymore
Mightve been a limited release
But damn it was nice

HP fruity got replaced with a HP chicken & rice thing.

Never been big on tomato sauces, always went BBQ's myself and they did a mean one, believe they're still sold in the UK anyway.

HP fruity got replaced with a HP chicken & rice thing.

Never been big on tomato sauces, always went BBQ's myself and they did a mean one, believe they're still sold in the UK anyway.

I pretty much only use the Tomato sauce if i have a meat pie. But its got to be "Sauce" not Ketchup. I don't care if Heinz want to rationalize their product range.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
I love the stuff, its my go to on steak and lamb chops.
I don't normally choose to have tomato soup, but when i bow to group pressure, mine has a liberal dash of Worsteshire.

Its best when you get to the end of the bottle, as a lot of the spicy stuff has dropped to the bottom and its super concentrated.
Add some to mushrooms and bacon 😍😍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back