Certified Legendary Thread The Random Non Footy Chat Thread - General Non Footy talk PART 2

Remove this Banner Ad

is that a whip in his hand... dear me.
We all see the world in different ways.

But generally speaking, nobody cares too much for sanctimonious do gooders telling everyone what they should think and how they should live etc.

But, were all different I guess

The people that go on about horse racing fe animal welfare are so obviously not horse people.
When they talk it is so far off the mark, that basically have no real love of horses

Just as an aside, are the folk who gamble on horses actually horse-lovers and know something about them (in your opinion/experience), or are they just gamblers?

I've ridden horses since age 5, in gymkhanas, eventing, hunting to hounds, as well as just ambling around, [too old now - bad back] but have never laid a bet (I don't gamble) and have always gotten the impression that the punters I have spoken with are not horse lovers at all.

But I may be prejudiced due to my views on gambling (and conceding without such vice most horses would by now be as rare as Clydesdales).

Just as an aside, are the folk who gamble on horses actually horse-lovers and know something about them (in your opinion/experience), or are they just gamblers?

I've ridden horses since age 5, in gymkhanas, eventing, hunting to hounds, as well as just ambling around, [too old now - bad back] but have never laid a bet (I don't gamble) and have always gotten the impression that the punters I have spoken with are not horse lovers at all.

But I may be prejudiced due to my views on gambling (and conceding without such vice most horses would by now be as rare as Clydesdales).
Many many people who gamble may have no love for the horse.
It's the gambling they love.
As a rule, the general regular race goer who likes actually watching them run tend to have more love for the horse.

More importantly the people in racing that work with the horses, in my experience love them, especially the strappers, and if I may say, particularly the girl strappers. It's not for the low pay.
They often get involved with a clear life goal with being there for them. I've seen it many many times.

Most trainers love their animals, treat them well.
Yes, there are rat bags and horrible people but my experience is most treat the horse with real affection.

I've worked with horses and I just love them as animals. Treat them like gold.
Loved taking them swimming, hosing them down ect.
One or two of them, I'm sure knew me because they'd come up for a snuggle.

I've known a horse or two that were very difficult to manage but once you knew their quirks you could work around it.

Was great experiences for me.

Also riding horses is something I've done, I'm ok at it, not great but ok. But always ride them with respect.
Though they should know you're the boss, ie you will direct them not let then wander and you just sit there.

Many many people who gamble may have no love for the horse.
It's the gambling they love.
As a rule, the general regular race goer who likes actually watching them run tend to have more love for the horse.

More importantly the people in racing that work with the horses, in my experience love them, especially the strappers, and if I may say, particularly the girl strappers. It's not for the low pay.
They often get involved with a clear life goal with being there for them. I've seen it many many times.

Most trainers love their animals, treat them well.
Yes, there are rat bags and horrible people but my experience is most treat the horse with real affection.

I've worked with horses and I just love them as animals. Treat them like gold.
Loved taking them swimming, hosing them down ect.
One or two of them, I'm sure knew me because they'd come up for a snuggle.

I've known a horse or two that were very difficult to manage but once you knew their quirks you could work around it.

Was great experiences for me.

Also riding horses is something I've done, I'm ok at it, not great but ok. But always ride them with respect.
Though they should know you're the boss, ie you will direct them not let then wander and you just sit there.
When I first got into racing, learned so much from Gerald Ryan and Shelley Hancox. The gave heaps of time to me asking the most basic question.
I was amazed at their knowledge and how they could recognise horses from afar as either from characteristic or breeding.
Think they are beautiful animals and some of them know it.
We were lucky that apart from the two that either went to have babies or make babies, all found homes with their strappers. (Girl strappers). We helped out with buying blankets and also money for up keep as we were grateful they found a home.

Thoughts on jumps racing Saintly Viewed
As I feel we'll be at cross purposes, it might be better to avoid a topic that will only inflame.
Doubt anyone will be persuaded so might be better to leave well enough alone.

As I feel we'll be at cross purposes, it might be better to avoid a topic that will only inflame.
Very wise.

On a slightly related and very unserious note, whenever people talk about racing being cruel to all those poor racehorses, what about the stallions? Do the animal activists think it was cruel to let the like of Sir Tristram and Zabeel live to a ripe old age having the greatest existence that any male (including humans) could ever imagine?

Very wise.

On a slightly related and very unserious note, whenever people talk about racing being cruel to all those poor racehorses, what about the stallions? Do the animal activists think it was cruel to let the like of Sir Tristram and Zabeel live to a ripe old age having the greatest existence that any male (including humans) could ever imagine?

My favourite race was Bonecrushers triumph in the 'Lavazza black tea and scons classic' at Bathurst in the 4th.

Very wise.

Having visited studs over time, when the big bulls of stallions come out they seem very very happy with life

My favourite race was Bonecrushers triumph in the 'Lavazza black tea and scons classic' at Bathurst in the 4th.
Not sure id be doing stand up any time soon.
But bonrcrusher was a great horse

Horses are trained to jump. Some are naturals at it and like it and they are the ones who do the jumps. The rest foul out early in their training and don't get selected. Training and riding a good jumper is an incredibly rewarding experience for both horse and rider. Back in the day I rode over Olympic jumps courses in county equestrian events and a well-trained good jumper and rider know exactly what they are doing - measuring the pace between jumps, lengthening stride and accelerating at the right time, recovering balance and stride after each different jump etc.

A good hunter is also a good jumper, as the prey animal will lead you over fences, hedges, fallen logs etc in its desperate attempt to avoid the hounds (I stopped hunting after a while because while the actual helter-skelter riding experience was a huge adrenaline rush, the end result wasn't).

I have no problem with jumpers per se - it is risky and death/injury to horse (and/or rider) can happen. So be it. I am no bleeding heart in that regard. It is not cruelty to horses.

But when it comes to horse-racing jumps I am conflicted, because being part of the gambling industry you never know how hard the horse is being pushed beyond its limits. Money tends to corrupt sport, and on balance it wouldn't distress me to see horse-racing jumps events disappear from public courses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure id be doing stand up any time soon.
But bonrcrusher was a great horse

I know.. followed him from his 1st at the Albury Wodonga Pub Crawl Classic all the way to the Melbourne Stakes Day at Flemington. And when it did us proud in the Dubai Desert Stake Sandwich Handicap.. illustrious career.

I know.. followed him from his 1st at the Albury Wodonga Pub Crawl Classic all the way to the Melbourne Stakes Day at Flemington. And when it did us proud in the Dubai Desert Stake Sandwich Handicap.. illustrious career.
The Melbourne Stakes was the original name for the mackinnon Stakes with the name change during the 1930s

Last edited:
The Melbourne Stakes was the original name for the McKinnnon Stakes with the name change during the 1930s
Cmon SV it was MacKinnon. And that legendary quote from Phar Lap from LKS Mac, "Weight can stop a train."

Heard a great story about the day they did the big Cup scene for Phar Lap, filmed at Caulfield. People were encouraged to come to the track dressed in period costume to be the backdrop crowd. The director, Simon Wincer, was nervous about how many takes he might need for the choreographed race scene when all this crowd was in attendance. He gave instructions to the jockeys about which horse needed to be where, who was meant to be leading when, and how the horses were meant to be all going hard then Phar Lap was required to hit the front at the post. The director said to the jockeys, "I know this is pretty complicated, but there are a lot of people here. How many takes do you think we will need?"

One of the hoops shyly said, "I dunno boss. Probably one."

And the director said that was when he decided he would never bet on a race again.

Cmon SV it was MacKinnon. And that legendary quote from Phar Lap from LKS Mac, "Weight can stop a train."

Heard a great story about the day they did the big Cup scene for Phar Lap, filmed at Caulfield. People were encouraged to come to the track dressed in period costume to be the backdrop crowd. The director, Simon Wincer, was nervous about how many takes he might need for the choreographed race scene when all this crowd was in attendance. He gave instructions to the jockeys about which horse needed to be where, who was meant to be leading when, and how the horses were meant to be all going hard then Phar Lap was required to hit the front at the post. The director said to the jockeys, "I know this is pretty complicated, but there are a lot of people here. How many takes do you think we will need?"

And the director said that was when he decided he would never bet on a race again.
Firstly yes my error in spelling, but didn't stop and say my spelling check might swap it around, as I had it was wrong in typing, ooops.as in LKS Mackinnon, my very bad.

Great story. Yep, jockeys can work things well if need be. But some are still not the brightest all the same

Heard a great story about the day they did the big Cup scene for Phar Lap, filmed at Caulfield. People were encouraged to come to the track dressed in period costume to be the backdrop crowd. The director, Simon Wincer, was nervous about how many takes he might need for the choreographed race scene when all this crowd was in attendance. He gave instructions to the jockeys about which horse needed to be where, who was meant to be leading when, and how the horses were meant to be all going hard then Phar Lap was required to hit the front at the post. am Tie director said to the jockeys, "I know this is pretty complicated, but there are a lot of people here. How many takes do you think we will need?"

i have a feeling and this is only from memory that it actually took 4 takes to get it right, and that was when they were trying to rig it so Towering Inferno (who was a very slow conveyance who was playing the part of Phar Lap) would win.
i love that movie so much. I think i have seen it maybe 10 times, one less time than "The Club"!

i have a feeling and this is only from memory that it actually took 4 takes to get it right, and that was when they were trying to rig it so Towering Inferno (who was a very slow conveyance who was playing the part of Phar Lap) would win.
i love that movie so much. I think i have seen it maybe 10 times, one less time than "The Club"!
Phar Lap was a better movie than The Club in my view.
The Clubs biggest flaw was all of a sudden we were playing Fitzroy in the grand final.

The Club was better as a play - saw the version a few years back with John Wood. Fantastic.
John wood mad Hawks supporter is better than actor John Howard who in my view not much of an actor.

The best thing about the club was all the old style Collingwood stuff we saw, and Kennedy was great as president

Phar Lap was a better movie than The Club in my view.
The Clubs biggest flaw was all of a sudden we were playing Fitzroy in the grand final.
Thats like choosing between your children! both were great fillums and i love them both for many reasons.
We studied the play "the Club" in year 12, it gave me such a great insight into it. I pretty much know the play off by heart. The movie was a pretty good adaption of the play.
What sucked about the movie was some of the actors playing football... boy oh boy they tried to hide how bad they were.. but couldnt!

Thats like choosing between your children! both were great fillums and i love them both for many reasons.
We studied the play "the Club" in year 12, it gave me such a great insight into it. I pretty much know the play off by heart. The movie was a pretty good adaption of the play.
What sucked about the movie was some of the actors playing football... boy oh boy they tried to hide how bad they were.. but couldnt!
Geoff Hayward would still get a game today albeit with a strike under the illicit drugs policy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back