Certified Legendary Thread The Random Non Footy Chat Thread - General Non Footy talk PART 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Why did they leave? And where did they go?

Did 750,000 just walk down from Asia one day?
Haha!
Where did they go?
Didn't our forefathers shoot the s**t out of them?
And introduce diseases that ravaged the population?
I might be poor in education as far as the indigenous go, but I sure as hell know the impact white man had in this country.

I'm from a generation that was taught in government schools about European, American, Asian history.
And not one word about Aboriginal history.
Schools didn't teach beyond 200 years in Australian history.
That's a shame and I'm so much poorer for it.
In Primary school my best mate was indigenous. Yet I didn't understand his history or his struggles in our inherently racist country. I was young, but I make no excuses.
But I love Europe and I'm so much more interested in seeing the immense 2 Millenia history over seeing the few and far between historic monuments of Australia.
Sue me.

I guess what I am saying is that whilst we can't see the history of Australia in monuments we can feel it, particularly in the bush, under the stars. Nothing wrong with being interested in European history and I doubt I will sue you for it.

I guess what I am saying is that whilst we can't see the history of Australia in monuments we can feel it, particularly in the bush, under the stars. Nothing wrong with being interested in European history and I doubt I will sue you for it.
Don't think any of us don't feel just what it is to be Australian.
You are right, we don't have to have dark skin to feel for our land, our nature, our culture.
And believe me, there was no sweeter feeling, after five and a half weeks away, than seeing the red dirt of the NT from our plane.
We were home, and it felt damn good.

Love your passion jmac70 for Aboriginals and our true history.

image.jpeg

We can see it jmac, if we make the effort. And Aboriginal history is pushing 60k years in Australia.

I have toured rock art sites in the Grampians. In the 1990s there were dozens of known sites, and many were accessible. I worked for Parks Victoria in those days, so I had the information.

In Western Victoria, around Lake Condah, there is an ancient network of ancient eel traps, which extends for over 30kms. And the remains of stone huts, lived in by the Aboriginal eel farmers, who dried and traded eel. It is being put forward for World Heritage listing.

But more gob-smacking is the art work of the Burrup Peninsula of Western Australia. Mainly petroglyphs, and considered amongst the oldest art work on the planet, and there are an estimated one million art works in the area. That is not an exagerration, and it is unparalleled in the world. How many know about this? It is also under threat from mining.

This is why I get angry when we are described as a 'young' country. I know people dont mean offence with the statement, but it is wrong. I'm waiting for this country to grow up and recognise what we have.

Mona Lisa was indeed fascinating! I traveled to Paris in 2005 with my lovely wife, visited The Louvre as you do.

Saw Mona Lisa live and up close, or as close as the rope barriers and security guards allowed you to get. Was amazing for sure.

Best part was I managed to get a discreet photo of Mona Lisa whilst being flanked by my wife and a friend. They provided the cover and I quickly snapped a photo before anyone realised. Of course, security probably knew exactly what we were trying to achieve, but let you do your thing within reason.
went to The Louvre. Stood in front of the Mona Lisa for about 10 minutes.
Still don't get what is so special about it. Just another painting.

I should point out here that I have no understanding of art whatsoever. I guess my previous statement will attest to that.

I so like Salvador Dali though. Once again not that I understand good art from bad I just think his paintings are cool.

I do like Rembrandt.
Van Eyck is a special favourite

The Cruxifixion ^ above

IMG_1330.JPG

And next to the above The Fonal Judgment

Magnificent pieces

Watching Die Hard 2 on TV...being a pilot I notice there are so many holes in that plot I can't believe it ever got off the ground...pardon the pun.

Anyone with a $5 radio could communicate with a plane and planes all have alternate airports.

The whole premise of the movie is flawed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 375075
It certainly is small isn't it?
Why did you have to covertly photograph it?
We were there in 2015 and it was a snapfest.
Going back to the Louvre in July.
After a concert at Wembley Stadium in June! Talk about timing.....

Back in 2005 there were very visible signs saying no photography or something of the like. Hence the covert operation to obtain said photo.

Perhaps the rules have been relaxed somewhat 10 years later?

Nice photo by the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Magnificent city.

I loved everything about it.

I loved everything about Paris too! Especially the frequent trains and the professional buskers in the metro tunnels/subways.

I reckon one of my favourite things to do in Paris was to wake up in the morning and head to the nearest patisserie and get me a fix of Pane au raisin. (Not sure on spelling). It's a type of pastry that was so sweet and choc full of raisins. If you love raisin bread, this is a whole new stratosphere of deliciousness!

I also distinctly remember the hot young French ladies working the registers at the local G20 supermarket. They were out of this world attractive in my mind.

I really need to go back there for another two week visit.......

I loved everything about Paris too! Especially the frequent trains and the professional buskers in the metro tunnels/subways.

I reckon one of my favourite things to do in Paris was to wake up in the morning and head to the nearest patisserie and get me a fix of Pane au raisin. (Not sure on spelling). It's a type of pastry that was so sweet and choc full of raisins. If you love raisin bread, this is a whole new stratosphere of deliciousness!

I also distinctly remember the hot young French ladies working the registers at the local G20 supermarket. They were out of this world attractive in my mind.

I really need to go back there for another two week visit.......

Makes me want to go there again

The pastries are divine, yes!
And the bread.
And the cheeses.
And the wine.
And.....

Interesting note about our greatest ruckman, Len Thompson.

He debuted in 1965 on prelim final day, it was 18 September.

On 18 September 2007 he died. Same day 42 years apart.

I hired a car in France and after spending some time in Paris did a road trip. Took in Switzerland and northern Italy while I was at it.
Yes Paris is a beautiful city but to truly appreciate the country you need to visit the villages.
Each one is more beautiful than the last, all of them are postcards. What a countryside.
Ohh and the vineyards. You go in with a two litre or three litre plastic flagon and they fill it up straight from the barrell. Lovely wine and dirt cheap. (cash sale so no tax no need to bottle no VAT etc)
Bloody brilliant.

Interesting note about our greatest ruckman, Len Thompson.

He debuted in 1965 on prelim final day, it was 18 September.

On 18 September 2007 he died. Same day 42 years apart.
His birthday August 27 is shared by Don Bradman.

I hired a car in France and after spending some time in Paris did a road trip. Took in Switzerland and northern Italy while I was at it.
Yes Paris is a beautiful city but to truly appreciate the country you need to visit the villages.
Each one is more beautiful than the last, all of them are postcards. What a countryside.
Ohh and the vineyards. You go in with a two litre or three litre plastic flagon and they fill it up straight from the barrell. Lovely wine and dirt cheap. (cash sale so no tax no need to bottle no VAT etc)
Bloody brilliant.
And lovely drinking.

Some crusty bread.

Delicious.

When I did France, amongst other places, the young lady and I, she loved the breads, and wine.
What a great time.

And lovely drinking.

Some crusty bread.

Delicious.

When I did France, amongst other places, the young lady and I, she loved the breads, and wine.
What a great time.
Exactly.
I used to buy my wine like I mentioned above, then go to a deli and buy some lovely processed meats and cheeses and bread then find a lovely little place to park the car and treat myself to a superb little picnic, enjoying the beautiful scenery.
Once you have had a bit of practice you can find ways to travel, experiencing all that a country has to offer and do it at a reasonable cost.

Of course The Gimp would be horrified by such a thing but it is very enjoyable.

Exactly.
I used to buy my wine like I mentioned above, then go to a deli and buy some lovely processed meats and cheeses and bread then find a lovely little place to park the car and treat myself to a superb little picnic, enjoying the beautiful scenery.
Once you have had a bit of practice you can find ways to travel, experiencing all that a country has to offer and do it at a reasonable cost.

Of course The Gimp would be horrified by such a thing but it is very enjoyable.

I did the same as you.......only way to enjoy Paris and the scenery.

But was it better than IGA Thomastown ottoman?? :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back