Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

I love all the kids signing extensions with their respective clubs. IMO they should all be standard 4 year contracts to start with. Do a footy apprenticeship, body matures, get some games under your belt and something outside footy (just in case). There are to many kids being cast out at 20 years of age.

Even then I'd say the pressure would only start to realistically build next year. That's when we should start to see more in the way of results

Agreed. If we've won one game halfway through next year, pressure will start to build.

Agreed. If we've won one game halfway through next year, pressure will start to build.
I think, in Fagan’s favour is that everyone, including Barrett himself can see the improvement in Brisbane’s game.
If we start to cop floggings week in, week out and look as though we are regressing then the pressure will come.

I find it interesting you can see the change when Fagan came in

Was mentioned at the coaches club function. They have been working not only on the players discipline, but they have also been working at improving relations with the umpires on a more personal level. Eg, they put the pictures and names of all the umpires up in the locker room when they play at the gabba, the coaching staff always go and say hello etc. Essentially they schmooze them.

Davis is our umpires rep, he is the one that talks to the umpires each week about clarification on calls or rules. Even if they get a raw deal they are never aggressive, and Fagan will never comment publicly on umpiring of a game.

Weird time to start heaping pressure on him from Purple.

If we are 1-10 same time next year then the pressure starts to build on Fagen. He won't get the sack next year, regardless of results, but as of round 1 next year the honey moon is over.

As leigh matthews said ' No matter who it is and no matter the circumstances you win loss will eventually get you..

In recent times I've become something of an afficianado of efforts at manning the mark while your opposition takes set shots. Quite like our frequent two-man performances, actually. Still, was rather impressed with Black's spin here, and it did seem to do the trick:

Hopefully that knee injury is decidely on the mild end. You don't like see anyone injured (Essendon's uncles aside).

Last edited:
In recent times I've become something of an afficianado of efforts at manning the mark while your opposition takes set shots. Quite like our frequent two-man performances, actually. Still, was rather impressed with Black's spin here, and it did seem to do the trick:

Hopefully that knee injury is decidely on the mild end. You don't like see anyone injured (Essendon's uncles aside).

Not a huge fun of carrying on too much on the mark. Don’t want it to end up like the greatest movie of all time Baseketball with psych-outs.

There is a story about Clayton Oliver ordering a parmi and chips at a lunch 1 week into his career at a small club lunch, and how that raised eye browes around the table. I also recall Gary Ablett saying he doesent so much as have bacon and eggs on toast during an interview a few years ago.

I know I will rile people but I constantly see examples of social media of our professionalism lacking In areas with some players.

There is a story about Clayton Oliver ordering a parmi and chips at a lunch 1 week into his career at a small club lunch, and how that raised eye browes around the table. I also recall Gary Ablett saying he doesent so much as have bacon and eggs on toast during an interview a few years ago.

I know I will rile people but I constantly see examples of social media of our professionalism lacking In areas with some players.
I'm pretty sure we have a dietitian on staff, not sure if full time or consultancy arrangement. At a guess I would say our players would be eating within set guidelines, they would be allowed treat/junk foods you would think 1-2 times a week, IIRC they can virtually eat anything they want after a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think some of that arises from the age of players. Guys who get started a few years later appreciate the opportunity enough to put 100% focus on professionalism (Ieagles) Teenagers don't have consequential thinking skills yet so can't focus as well.

The sooner the draft age is raised to 20 the better!!

But mostly importantly, it's a parma not a parmi o_O

Didn't know where else to put this but they are talking about reducing the teams to 16 on the field and 4 reserves I feel this will help teams like the Northern teams like the Suns and Lions who struggle to produce 22 afl standard players to climb the ladder quicker. Thoughts ???

Didn't know where else to put this but they are talking about reducing the teams to 16 on the field and 4 reserves I feel this will help teams like the Northern teams like the Suns and Lions who struggle to produce 22 afl standard players to climb the ladder quicker. Thoughts ???
Absolutely hate the idea, IMO it would not stop the congestion issue, coaches will still want masses of players hovering around the contest, there will just be less players on the outside.

Please don't tamper with the fundamentals of the game, must be 18 players on the field and unrestricted movement around the ground ie. I hate the idea of zones. No super goals PLEASE! Don't turn the game into a bigger version of AFLX.

Leigh Matthews on macquarie sports radio said the umps just need to pay more free kicks, either for holding the ball all or incorrect disposal. the players will spread out if more free kicks are paid. Also in favour of reducing interchanges by half.
If this happened I would be happy.

The umpires don't pay 99% of incorrect disposals in games these days. I find it really frustrating.

I don't believe in coincidences. So I find it very frustrating when the correlation between the increase in interchange numbers and congestion just get refuted.

Leigh Matthews on macquarie sports radio said the umps just need to pay more free kicks, either for holding the ball all or incorrect disposal. the players will spread out if more free kicks are paid. Also in favour of reducing interchanges by half.

They started paying more frees in the SANFL which helped open the game up

Have been saying this for as long as congestion has been a topic of discussion. If you can't see an infringement at 90% of stoppages, you're not paying attention, and it will force players to spread.

Fages will be fine, hes got the bye to recover.

What a great initiative The Big Freeze is. Buckley wearing the firemen outfit and then mentioning the fireman who was recently diagnosed with MND and the cameras panning to him in a wheelchair with his family all in Magpies gear was an emotional moment, I must be turning into a sook.

Fages will be fine, hes got the bye to recover.

What a great initiative The Big Freeze is. Buckley wearing the firemen outfit and then mentioning the fireman who was recently diagnosed with MND and the cameras panning to him in a wheelchair with his family all in Magpies gear was an emotional moment, I must be turning into a sook.

Agree with the sentiment......Bucks is getting harder and harder to dislike. Never thought it was possible, but there it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back