Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

'3 game membership' is a bit of a misnomer, isn't it? It's really just a ticket package. That said, there are non-attendance memberships, which I think are reasonable to be counted as those who can't or don't want to attend games, but support with membership. Even though supporter membership is cheaper than 3 game packages, they are giving their money for no return (other than actual membership) as opposed to those who are really only buying entry to 3 games.
It's an age old debate. What should be considered or counted as membership, other than what's on the invoice? Are they still counting cats & dogs?

Great article on one of the NRL's best referees of all time. Well worth consdiering the next time you feel compelled to bag an umpire or any official.

Death threats and ongoing criticism force Cecchin to quit the NRL

Matt Cecchin was in the bar of an Auckland hotel hours after the World Cup semi-final between Tonga and England last November when his phone rang. It was the New Zealand Police.

“We’ve picked up hundreds and hundreds of messages and they are death threats,” the leading referee was told. “We’ve contacted your family members because they have been targeted as well. Don’t leave the hotel. We will pick you up and take you to the airport. Back in Australia, you’ll be picked up by the Australian Federal Police.”

Cecchin will referee his 300th NRL game this Sunday when Penrith play Canberra at Panthers Stadium and it will be one of his last.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...-cecchin-to-quit-the-nrl-20180802-p4zv6x.html

Caught up with someone who works in health insurance and they were telling me that one of the biggest growth in claims in the last couple of years is for mouth guards for school age females. Mostly assumed to come from growth footy due to the AFLW
But they still won't wear headgear. I inherited a team at the start of the year, I gave a big talk to the parents about headgear (especially when so many parents are concerned about body contact etc). One kid wears headgear, my kid.

Lost a player for the year to concussion last week, mind you I didn't see the incident and can't say that headgear would have helped or not.

Certainly a lot more interest and participation numbers in girls footy athe the moment

But they still won't wear headgear. I inherited a team at the start of the year, I gave a big talk to the parents about headgear (especially when so many parents are concerned about body contact etc). One kid wears headgear, my kid.

Lost a player for the year to concussion last week, mind you I didn't see the incident and can't say that headgear would have helped or not.

Certainly a lot more interest and participation numbers in girls footy athe the moment
One of my grand children a couple of years ago was playing Aussie Rules and one of the kids got concussed. All the parents/coaches got together and decided that they would all wear headgear. It lasted 3-4 weeks before there was only 2 left wearing it, the kids were all complaining it was annoying and made them hot and sweaty.

It has been discussed numerous times but the research says that headgear does not stop/minimize concussion, if there was definitive peer reviewed research that proved a benefit to wearing headgear it would be much like motorbike helmets ie. it would be made compulsory IMO.

Great article on one of the NRL's best referees of all time. Well worth consdiering the next time you feel compelled to bag an umpire or any official.
I seriously doubt anyone has accused Cecchin of being one of the best current refs, let alone of all time. That aside, the article is quite disturbing.

I don’t mind this rule. Would worry about 11 point turnarounds becoming very common.

1CA74645-EB6F-44EC-B280-6A9DC4BF005A.jpeg

"Razor" Ray Chamberlain.

An umpire should NOT have that much profile. Our match against Collingwood was brilliant, because the umpires were invisible. They did a great job in that game. Unfortunately due to Rays big profile, any game he umpires he becomes a spectacle, and he seems to relish in it, which means he probably isn't making the best decisions. Not just saying this because we lost either, I've noticed it in a lot of games he umpires (especially when the channel 7 commentary team is around).

'3 game membership' is a bit of a misnomer, isn't it? It's really just a ticket package. That said, there are non-attendance memberships, which I think are reasonable to be counted as those who can't or don't want to attend games, but support with membership. Even though supporter membership is cheaper than 3 game packages, they are giving their money for no return (other than actual membership) as opposed to those who are really only buying entry to 3 games.
It's an age old debate. What should be considered or counted as membership, other than what's on the invoice? Are they still counting cats & dogs?

There is also the one game membership that are given free..the recipient may not actually support that club...Eg the 170,000 Auskicks kids that are given a one game membership....The Dogs also have a one game membership with Vic Uni for staff & students..

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/membership/vuoffer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I knew my supporters membership wasn't even considered to be good enough to be in the count, I wouldn't worry about buying another one. Would be no more from me.

We no longer go to the footy, but I buy that membership just to still feel part of my team and help out financially as best I can.

That would be an absolute insult to the people who buy the lesser memberships, for whatever reason they do that.

There is also the one game membership that are given free..the recipient may not actually support that club...Eg the 170,000 Auskicks kids that are given a one game membership....The Dogs also have a one game membership with Vic Uni for staff & students..

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/membership/vuoffer
I didn't know this existed, let alone counted. That's hilarious, yet a little sad, if that makes up our numbers.

If I knew my supporters membership wasn't even considered to be good enough to be in the count, I wouldn't worry about buying another one. Would be no more from me.

We no longer go to the footy, but I buy that membership just to still feel part of my team and help out financially as best I can.

That would be an absolute insult to the people who buy the lesser memberships, for whatever reason they do that.
I don't think anyone suggests that. Supporter members are a legitimate thing, and probably more credible than 3 game memberships.

I don't think anyone suggests that. Supporter members are a legitimate thing, and probably more credible than 3 game memberships.

My mother is a dyed-in-the-wool Lion (got her first Lions tat after we beat the Hawks) including a Player Sponsorship, however she lives in Adelaide and thus only has a three-game membership so she can at least get to a couple of games a year.

My mother is a dyed-in-the-wool Lion (got her first Lions tat after we beat the Hawks) including a Player Sponsorship, however she lives in Adelaide and thus only has a three-game membership so she can at least get to a couple of games a year.
Fair enough. I should note though, that membership isn't a judgement on anyone's dedication/love/support for the team. I've supported for 18 years, but only took up membership in 2013. In terms of counting memberships though, there needs to be some distinction in what actually constitutes a member.
As Pope pointed out, there are even such things as free, one game members.
There's no questioning Linda's love for the club.

Have just been on the Cats board and noticed they had terrific blue and white footy related stuff down each side of the pages..

..wondered if we could do similar on our board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back