Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

We do have some genuine talent coming through behind them now.

Yeah but we need to do more than replace them. We need to find, develop and retain another 6 or so genuine guns on top of that.

Unless the AFL gift us a high PP next year, this is likely to be the last draft where we have multiple top end picks. Unless we continue to lose highly rated kids and get picks back, or our academy produces multiple top end kids. Our 2015, 2016 and 2017 kids will make up the core of our "next" team.

After Robbo I think rich has been our hardest at the contest player this year. He's taken some almighty impacts. I can't fault his endeavour. Haven't said that in past years about him
He has taken some very brave marks going back with the flight.
I have got no qualms with Richy this year. Other than his disposal at times, has let him down a bit.

Dayne Beams does locker talk very well, him and Keyes banter had me lol'ing.. worth the watch. Dan McStay could hardly string 2 words together when he arrived, always seemed so nervous.. much smoother now. Gee I hope we hold onto these Guys, much more attached to the group that Longer, doc, polec, aish etc

Dayne Beams does locker talk very well, him and Keyes banter had me lol'ing.. worth the watch. Dan McStay could hardly string 2 words together when he arrived, always seemed so nervous.. much smoother now. Gee I hope we hold onto these Guys, much more attached to the group that Longer, doc, polec, aish etc

Agree, always makes me smile with his interviews. I worry though he'll break someone's nose one day, the way he shoves that mic up their nose:D

..and I also feel so much more attached to our young ones this time around. Not sure why, just do. Maybe it's the hope they bring and just plain likeable..

Nothing political here but I love the indigenous round of AFL. It is something I think that they have made genuinely meaningful to more than just the indigenous players. Great weekend of footy for so many reasons
I both like it and dislike it.

On one hand, we have a round celebrating people groups who are generally underrepresented in society, and even better - in a sport where they have a higher-than-average representation rate. To me, this is an excellent initiative. I don't mind the multicultural round either - spreading the sport to more people in foreign languages is a sound initiative.

On the other hand, we get the AFL sticking its nose into political movements and arguments where it doesn't belong. They do this with the recognise campaign, same sex marriage, refugees... Really, anywhere they like... It's not even that I disagree with their positions - i find it about 50/50 - but I don't agree with sports, businesses, etc, using their platforms to push political agendas.

On the other hand, we get the AFL sticking its nose into political movements and arguments where it doesn't belong. They do this with the recognise campaign, same sex marriage, refugees... Really, anywhere they like... It's not even that I disagree with their positions - i find it about 50/50 - but I don't agree with sports, businesses, etc, using their platforms to push political agendas.

The AFL wants to make it clear they embrace indigenous people as well as the LGBTI community. Could chalk it down to business if you want to.

Regardless, I'm not sure putting these issues under the banner of "political agendas" is truly accurate. It's not like they are endorsing a particular political party or anything and putting half the electorate offside for no good reason.

If people are genuinely still opposed to same sex marriage or reconciliation with indigenous Australians, I hope they do feel marginalised by the AFL's stance. They deserve to be. They can ride with Margaret Court on Budget Brothers Airlines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL wants to make it clear they embrace indigenous people as well as the LGBTI community. Could chalk it down to business if you want to.

Regardless, I'm not sure putting these issues under the banner of "political agendas" is truly accurate. It's not like they are endorsing a particular political party or anything and putting half the electorate offside for no good reason.

If people are genuinely still opposed to same sex marriage or reconciliation with indigenous Australians, I hope they do feel marginalised by the AFL's stance. They deserve to be. They can ride with Margaret Court on Budget Brothers Airlines.

I have no issue with the concept of an Indigenous round. I dont like them getting involved in the 'recognise' debate, which they do. It is on every jersey and the field. I personally dont have an opinion on it yet - it will come down to what the constitutional amendment text actually says. But it is a political issue.

Likewise, I have no issue with the AFL being against homophobia, and encouraging people to feel welcome, regardless of sexual orientation. I am absolutely against vilification (of the LGBTIQ community, or of Margaret Court, who stated that her religious belief was against same sex marriage but for loving everyone, even those she disagreed with - and ever since she has been the victim of so much intolerance because of her religious beliefs, it is truly shameful). The same sex marriage debate though is a political one.

I dont have a problem with debate, I just dont like seeing AFL and businesses bandwagonning on topics they have no relevance to.

Agree with Margaret Court or not, she is just as entitled to her opinions and choices as those opposing her views..

Was anyone saying she wasn't entitled to her opinion? I always find it odd when people make responses like that, because it seems to contain an implicit plea for free speech while simultaneously tut tutting at the person who exercised their free speech in criticising them to begin with.

Agree with Margaret Court or not, she is just as entitled to her opinions and choices as those opposing her views..

Of course she is entitled to it. We are also entitled to say how stupid her opinion is.

...was I not surprised it was you who responded first?

Well considering I was the one who brought up Margaret Court, you'll have to forgive me for making the outlandish assumption that your response was at least partly addressed to me.

Well considering I was the one who brought up Margaret Court, you'll have to forgive me for making the outlandish assumption that your response was at least partly addressed to me.

This may surprise you, but no.........I was annoyed at the treatment she got on The Project last night, and a couple of articles in general.

Of course she is entitled to it. We are also entitled to say how stupid her opinion is.

Yep... and it's always amusing when Fundamentalist Christians say "I love everyone regardless, however..." and then go on to come up with some backward-ass reasoning for denying a minority group the same rights everyone enjoys. She's basically saying "I love you, but you're inferior". And they're meant to just be okay with that.

It's the equivalent of when my uncle says "I'm not racist but..." and then goes on to call aboriginal people lazy drunks.

EDIT: Changed "Christians" to "Fundamentalist Christians". An important distinction.

Last edited:
If she didn't want to ignite a public debate, why did she send her boycott threat into a mass-circulated newspaper? Why not send it as a private letter? She availed herself of the pulpit and must wear the consequences.

No sympathy whatsoever. Her ideas are repugnant. She is literally refusing to fly with an airline that has the temerity to support extending marriage rights to homosexual couples. But she "loves them" apparently.

Yep... and it's always amusing when Christians say "I love everyone regardless, however..." and then go on to come up with some backward-ass reasoning for denying a minority group the same rights.

It's the equivalent of when my uncle says "I'm not racist but..." and then goes on to call aboriginal people lazy drunks.

This country is the land of the silent racist. Particularly the older generations. You only have to see what they like and share on facebook to know it.

I can't cop religion at all but if people want to believe in a god or whatever else that is their business. Just don't push it on others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back