Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

First time posting. Don't know much about AFL but started supporting Lions in 2015. Take my family (including 6 and 8 year olds) to all the afternoon games. I think we have core of a very good team going forward. As a result, my only hope is that list management and coaches are directing the team with the following 2020 team in mind:

Backs
Rich
Andrews (c)
Mayes
Witherden (rotate through middle)
McStay
Cox

Middle
A Smith
Berry
McCluggage
Mathieson
First Draft Pick 2017 (Inside Bull)
First Draft Pick 2018 (Outside Speed with class disposal)

Forwards
Taylor
Schache
Hipwood
Zorko (I think will still be a star in his mid 30's)
Second Draft Pick 2017 (Lightening Speed)
Second Draft Pick 2018

Interchange
N Robbo
J Walker (chop out ruck, play both ends)
Third Draft Pick 2017 (Mid)
Cutler

Would still be a young team in 2020 so flag unlikely that year but the few years after would be possible. All three areas of the ground would be developing together. What does this mean we have to do between now and this 2020 team?
1. Ensure above players are re-contracted.
2. Try to trade out older players with currency who won't be around for flag tilt eg Hanley last year (this will have to be done over time as young players develop).
3. Only trade in players who will be in flag tilt side and who will be better than the above when the above are developed. 2019 draft picks could be used to trade in quality talent (star players who can see our improvement and want to be part of a team contending).
4. Nail our round 1 draft picks and continue to jag some second, third and fourth round draft stars (eg Andrews, Witherden, Mathieson).
5. Get as many games into above listed players as possible.
6. Drive culture of youngsters leading the club. Appoint Andrews captain 2019 with Zorko, Berry, McCluggage and Witherden his leadership team.

Overall, I'm in for the long haul and am willing to put up with my wife giving me the 'lets go home look' at 3/4 time in the short term so long as we are working to a plan that broadly resembles the above.

First time posting. Don't know much about AFL but started supporting Lions in 2015. Take my family (including 6 and 8 year olds) to all the afternoon games. I think we have core of a very good team going forward. As a result, my only hope is that list management and coaches are directing the team with the following 2020 team in mind:

Backs
Rich
Andrews (c)
Mayes
McStay
Cox

Middle
A Smith
Berry
McCluggage
Mathieson

Forwards
Taylor
Schache
Hipwood
Second Draft Pick 2018

Interchange
N Robbo
Cutler

Would still be a young team in 2020 so flag unlikely that year but the few years after would be possible. All three areas of the ground would be developing together. What does this mean we have to do between now and this 2020 team?
2. Try to trade out older players with currency who won't be around for flag tilt eg Hanley last year (this will have to be done over time as young players develop).
3. Only trade in players who will be in flag tilt side and who will be better than the above when the above are developed. 2019 draft picks could be used to trade in quality talent (star players who can see our improvement and want to be part of a team contending).
4. Nail our round 1 draft picks and continue to jag some second, third and fourth round draft stars (eg Andrews, Witherden, Mathieson).
6. Drive culture of youngsters leading the club. Appoint Andrews captain 2019 with Zorko, Berry, McCluggage and Witherden his leadership team.

Overall, I'm in for the long haul and am willing to put up with my wife giving me the 'lets go home look' at 3/4 time in the short term so long as we are working to a plan that broadly resembles the above.

Ballenden?

There's a pretty bad god complex on our board. How about instead of smashing these blokes we try lift em up? I know a few guys who were awful a few years ago, I came back and now I love reading what they have to say.

I reckon there's a few posters who enjoy the smell of their own farts

There's a pretty bad god complex on our board. How about instead of smashing these blokes we try lift em up? I know a few guys who were awful a few years ago, I came back and now I love reading what they have to say.

What the * are you talking about?

Well no one else is going to enjoy them BP.

Are they?

Each to their own, no judgment here, we all have our fetish's.

In reality your probably right he will be drafted due to the Academy link. Hopefully will be a star. I focused more on what I believe to be our immediate needs in getting in young midfielders and some speed up forward.

I'm with you. Ballenden being drafted doesn't fill me with a lot of excitement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Backs
Rich
Andrews (c)
Mayes
McStay
Cox

Middle
A Smith
Berry
McCluggage
Mathieson

Forwards
Taylor
Schache
Hipwood
Second Draft Pick 2018

Interchange
N Robbo
Cutler

Welcome aboard the BF train! Toot toot!

Interesting that Garry Lyon mentioned about Allan Christensen that he didn't give himself every opportunity to not get re-injured after his initial shoulder injury.

Sounds like there is either something more to Christensen's injury or rumours are just getting spread without merit.

Where there's smoke, there's fire IMO.

Interesting that Garry Lyon mentioned about Allan Christensen that he didn't give himself every opportunity to not get re-injured after his initial shoulder injury.

Sounds like there is either something more to Christensen's injury or rumours are just getting spread without merit.

How so? Surely doctors' advice is the determining factor on when it's okay to play.

How do you give yourself every opportunity to not do something?

It is not like a muscle tear or anything like that. Needing to get strength back into the muscles to get yourself ready to go.
Its a bloody broken bone.
Medical report would determine when your bone has healed ready to go.
A players responsibility is to be physically ready to go when medically cleared. If he wasn't then he would be more likely to be injured in some other way. Like a hammy or something like that.

The insinuation is fairly obviously without it being expressly stated.

Now whether it is true or not, who knows.

Given everyone who went to training in pre season was reporting him as being in top shape and absolutely flying I find it a hard insinuation to reconcile

It is not like a muscle tear or anything like that. Needing to get strength back into the muscles to get yourself ready to go.
Its a bloody broken bone.
Medical report would determine when your bone has healed ready to go.
A players responsibility is to be physically ready to go when medically cleared. If he wasn't then he would be more likely to be injured in some other way. Like a hammy or something like that.
The bone healing, while the main part of the healing process, is no the only part. While the shoulder is healing the player can not do any strength exercises with that arm. I would imagine a player would lose a certain amount of muscle mass while the shoulder heals.

Given everyone who went to training in pre season was reporting him as being in top shape and absolutely flying I find it a hard insinuation to reconcile
Not that I am making a connection or insinuation, but Cousins was always in tip top pre season shape. So there can be more to it than just showing up in shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back