Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

I don't really discriminate between different forms of the game, I love Tests and T20 equally but for different reasons, ODIs I'm not hugely invested in until the World Cup comes around. I know a few old stalwarts who refused to watch any T20 a few years ago but now happily watch and enjoy the BBL each night. It is an incredibly successful competition not to be sneezed at, from memory it is in the top 10 competitions in the world for average attendance per game.

1_64800010.jpg

Yeah there is a lot of variation but I don't know just never really gotten into it... it's just too far in favour of the batsmen I guess.

It's more about adjusting expectations. Of course with less overs, batsman will value their wicket less. Was the same with 50-overs games to. In my mind these days, an average run rate in tests is 3-4 rpo, in ODI it's 5-6 and in T20 it's 7-8.

We don't have many writers on AFL in QLD but Andrew Stafford writes some good intelligent stuff during the season. His articles on music, the environment, birding and mental health are also well-written and interesting regardless of personal views. interests or opinions. He's a freelancer who is committed to his craft and in this modern age of journalism does it tough at times. Consider supporting him via his Patreon page for as little as a $1 a month and then hassle him to write even more about AFL: https://www.patreon.com/andrewstafford/posts

Last edited:
Micky Conlon was a tank. Looked so much bigger than everyone else during that time.
Yes there must have been a great gym at Fitzroy, Osborne went from quite skinny to a tank in a preseason too...

Even though I have a phobia for birds, I do like seeing all the different types we get in our treed backyard.....as long as they keep their distance!;)

Today we saw 4 white tailed black cockatoos (can have yellow or red tails as well)....we knew they were different to anything we'd seen before, so looked up to see what they were. Even being from the country, I'd never seen them before.....and supposedly they aren't very common so far south.

.....and boy oh boy, what a racket they made!! They didn't hang around for long, about 5mins....just wish they'd gone to the birdbath for a drink, could've got photo of them..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even though I have a phobia for birds, I do like seeing all the different types we get in our treed backyard.....as long as they keep their distance!;)

Today we saw 4 white tailed black cockatoos (can have yellow or red tails as well)....we knew they were different to anything we'd seen before, so looked up to see what they were. Even being from the country, I'd never seen them before.....and supposedly they aren't very common so far south.

.....and boy oh boy, what a racket they made!! They didn't hang around for long, about 5mins....just wish they'd gone to the birdbath for a drink, could've got photo of them..
More and more sightings of the black cockatoos further south of where they are usually located. Seen 3 of them in Redcliffe a suburb north of Brisbane a few times over the past 2 years which is odd considering how urbanised the peninsular is. They might be tamed somewhat though since you can pretty much go right up to them within 3 feet or so...

Possibly.....seeing more galahs (real feathered type;)) down here in melbourne than on the 3hr drive up home. They were always on the side of the roads in their hundreds not all that long ago, hardly see them up there now. Plenty of the white cocky's still up there, but get them down here now too.

Things are changing enough to wonder the reason..

Climate change related migration?
Haven't looked at the hard data but just going from anecdotal evidence they have seemed to be more prone to moving into closer proximity to urbanised environments. Climate change migration is a pretty big call so I'm not sure on that but the human influenced destruction of their native habitat certainly doesn't help and could force these birds and other species to migrate to greener pastures. Or maybe it's not all doom and gloom but instead caused a population explosion resulting in migration due to competition? Dunno.

Speaking of wildlife migrations... this is now a massive, massive concern. The Mooloolaba encounter a couple of years ago can't be dismissed as a freak incident anymore.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...d/news-story/4ad2af02f806532b560178b3b6d69720

I don't know what the solutions are, but the government needs to act NOW on finding out. Could be absolutely disastrous long term.

Unfortunately some of the solutions will be rather unpopular...

He said as water temperatures rise, the stingers drift further south, and could become a staple of beaches as far south as the Sunshine Coast.

"We've known that irukandji have been down, certainly in the southern end of Fraser Island, for the better part of 10 to 12 years now," he said.

"We actually found them there originally, we made comment about them being down there and we were told, not so politely, that we didn't know what we were doing, and that we should stay out of the area.

"So we did and we then published a couple of years ago showing quite nicely that irukandji jellyfish over the last 50 years are slowly, but surely, moving south," Professor Seymour said.

"It's not a matter of if they get down to places like the Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast, but when they get down there."

Still stuff like this research, on predicting the blooms, is very helpful.

They found that a drop in the strong south-east trade winds, which blow across the ocean, coincided with the arrival of the jellyfish.

The jellyfish prefer the calm waters that a drop in trade winds bring
"Normally, the trade winds are the dominant winds, and they make really turbulent waters - it's cloudy, it's rough, it's not real pleasant," said Dr Gershwin.

"And Irukandji are really delicate little guys. They are like the orchids of the jellyfish family - delicate souls. They don't like turbulence, they don't like cloudy water. They like it as flat and calm and clear as possible."

And these improved conditions occur when the trade winds drop, allowing the stingers to rise from the depths and drift to shore.

Scientists say monitoring these offshore winds could give at least a day's warning of their appearance - time enough to warn bathers or even to close beaches.

Btw, the scientist mentioned in that last article - Lisa-Ann Gershwin has a fantastic book "Stung!: On Jellyfish Blooms and the Future of the Oceans" which I would strongly recommend :)

Haven't looked at the hard data but just going from anecdotal evidence they have seemed to be more prone to moving into closer proximity to urbanised environments. Climate change migration is a pretty big call so I'm not sure on that but the human influenced destruction of their native habitat certainly doesn't help and could force these birds and other species to migrate to greener pastures. Or maybe it's not all doom and gloom but instead caused a population explosion resulting in migration due to competition? Dunno.
I listen to The Science Show each week on ABC radio (actually I listen to the online podcast on the bus), there is real evidence of many aquatic and terrestrial animals migrating much further south in Australia than their traditional migratory boundaries. All the scientists link it to climate change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back