The rankings (from best to worst) of the 126 VFL-AFL premiership teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair spot
Carlton 95 had a better win loss and didn’t have a finals scare as Geelong did in Qf

Percentage is also a good comparison point

Bears lost by just 13 pts in the opening final 1st vs 8th, so a little bit of a scare or at least something to think about. But the Blues then won the next two finals rather like Geelong did this season.

Whilst I have no doubt the 2022 Geelong side would beat 2000 Essendon by 15 goals... That 2000 side was so dominant for the time

Eagles 92 ahead of eagles 94 .. interesting
Peak Matera vs perhaps a more peak Gary Sr. Still astounded by the fact the Eagles had just four goalkickers in that match, Sumich 6, Matera 5, Wilson 2 Evans 3 i think. Staggering, Geelong had several more as a spread this season. I doubt any Grand Final side scoring 16 or more goals ever had them accumulated by as few as four players.

Last edited:
So since Carlton 1908 were in an 8 team competition, with two expansion sides, one of which (Richmond) they beat 24 times in a row - in an amateur competition where players had to work full time jobs, the league was a state league too, with no fitness coach, conditioning coach, team psychologists, line coaches, club CEO, etc

They're a top 10 team of all time? Even with an Argus System that allowed clubs to challenge grand final defeats

This list is simplistic and written by a child

I was searching for where Geelong 2009 team ranked (47th) - they defeated the Saints to win the flag who had only lost two games prior to the GF by under a goal and % of 155

Ditto Hawthorn defeating the Cats in 2008 (that flag ranked 62). It takes a fairly super team to beat a super team is all im saying.

Nothing to get over matey.

This is clearly a "Essendon 2000 is da bestest team eva" thread. Like it has been for the past many years.

If the OP's criteria is winning % and % overall, then why isn't Carlton's 1908 team on top with the same winning percentage and superior percentage of 173.7%? And don't say "it's because they're not a relatively modern team" because they're higher than many modern premiership teams who'd all easily account for them.

Also, the way these threads have been worded over the years, it isn't being treated as opinion. It's being treated as objective fact.
That’s because it is.

I was searching for where Geelong 2009 team ranked (47th) - they defeated the Saints to win the flag who had only lost two games prior to the GF by under a goal and % of 155

Ditto Hawthorn defeating the Cats in 2008 (that flag ranked 62). It takes a fairly super team to beat a super team is all im saying.
And Geelong couldn’t even beat Hawthorn this year; may as well hand over the cup to them!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am pumped for this to see where Collingwood 2023 are ranked but then I see Dan26 suspended in a tragedy for his followers
Haha was thinking about this.

On the positive side, a minor premiership and undefeated in finals. Difficult fixture due to finishing third last year.

On the negative, a low ish percentage and not really dominant in finals (scraped through in all three games)

Won their 3 finals by a combined margin of 12 points, and made premiership players of Billy Frampton and Mason Cox.

Would have to be mid-low, despite finishing top of the ladder.

Brisbane played a horrible game, but still nearly got over the top of them on the day

Still, I don't reckon they'd care one bit. A flag's a flag

Won their 3 finals by a combined margin of 12 points, and made premiership players of Billy Frampton and Mason Cox.

Would have to be mid-low, despite finishing top of the ladder.

Brisbane played a horrible game, but still nearly got over the top of them on the day

Still, I don't reckon they'd care one bit. A flag's a flag
??? The Mason Cox that won the ruck for the day, the only ruck in the finals series to beat the big O in the hitouts?

??? The Mason Cox that won the ruck for the day, the only ruck in the finals series to beat the big O in the hitouts?
Hitouts are the least influential output of a ruckman on the result of a football game.

Big O had a game high 10 clearances, equal game high contested possessions and doubled Cox's disposal tally. It was the Brisbane midfielders who were beaten, not the ruckman.

Burying the lead here, what did Dan do to get suspended?
Looks like something to do with the Voice referendum thread on the politics board.

I really like this annual thread. We may not agree with all the rankings, but that's the fun of Bigfooty. It's an annual tradition like putting the Christmas tree up.

Hitouts are the least influential output of a ruckman on the result of a football game.

Big O had a game high 10 clearances, equal game high contested possessions and doubled Cox's disposal tally. It was the Brisbane midfielders who were beaten, not the ruckman.

I wonder what could have helped the Brisbane mids 🤔

Remove this Banner Ad

Back