Game Day The real elephant in the room.

BrunswickDog

Team Captain
Jul 18, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We've wiped debt. We can't we bring on a kicking coach????

After last season i said the same thing, and we're worse this year.

I watched tory dickson try to teach dunkley how to kick before the gf last year. That should have been the impetus for a change.

Absolutely disgraceful our kicking

Erect

Club Legend
Aug 11, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The real reason we don't score as heavy as other teams is because we are unable to score out the back, mostly due to lack of genuine speed in the side and lack of forward smarts. No wonder JJ, Dickson and Picken are the only players that can consistently get out the back and have an easy shot.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Goal kicking...

Just ******* fix it, Dogs. I don't care how much you have to pay, but get a coach and make them practice non-stop over summer until their feet are sore.

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We've wiped debt. We can't we bring on a kicking coach????

After last season i said the same thing, and we're worse this year.

I watched tory dickson try to teach dunkley how to kick before the gf last year. That should have been the impetus for a change.

Absolutely disgraceful our kicking
Not sure if it's as simple as that though. I don't know how much we spend when it comes to our football dept, but there is a cap. Maybe we're close to it and that's why we don't have a goal kicking coach or maybe we aren't close and are too stubborn to get a coach. Neither would surprise me.

May 30, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics
Not sure if it's as simple as that though. I don't know how much we spend when it comes to our football dept, but there is a cap. Maybe we're close to it and that's why we don't have a goal kicking coach or maybe we aren't close and are too stubborn to get a coach. Neither would surprise me.

We don't even have a senior assistant. I struggle to believe that we are near the spend of other clubs in terms of personnel.

As for the goal kicking, absolutely deplorable and a disgrace that Jake stringer can stand in the defensive zone doing double teapots, mark an intercept that is kicked right to him, then push it across the face from 20 out. That's not an AFL level skillset from a guy with immense talent.

Lex22

Club Legend
Jun 8, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think it's more a lack of natural forwards then bad kicking necessarily. If players are played out their position then things like this happen.

Also tonight there were a lot of low percentage shots missed which probably exaggerated our so called dominance of the match. It's not as if we missed 10 sitters from 30m out straight in front.

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We don't even have a senior assistant. I struggle to believe that we are near the spend of other clubs in terms of personnel.

As for the goal kicking, absolutely deplorable and a disgrace that Jake stringer can stand in the defensive zone doing double teapots, mark an intercept that is kicked right to him, then push it across the face from 20 out. That's not an AFL level skillset from a guy with immense talent.
No but I'm thinking we have quite a hefty recruiting department compared to other clubs.

Agree on the Stringer front though. Give him time to think and he's average at best. Rush him forcing him to play on instinct and he's a savage and sublimely skilled beast.

olimauldon

Senior List
Mar 14, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Who are our goal kicking and forwards coach? If we even have one that is.

Also, I am completely bewildered at the fact that we are consistently shocking at kicking for goal. All AFL players should be able to kick at least 8/10 shots at goal from 30m or less. Honestly I have no confidence whatsoever in Stringer having shots for goal anymore. He was literally 20m out, if that, and still managed to miss. And what has happened to Bont's goal kicking?? Used to have so much assurance that he would be able to slot them from inside 50 from almost anywhere but now he is seriously kicking at 34% 34%!!!! He really should have 35+ goals for the year which is so disappointing.

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A combo of two things that I can tell.

We don't win clearances as much anymore so most of our moving the ball forward is slowed down, so we don't get any out the back and therefore our shots on goal are from more difficult positions.

Secondly, the majority of our players have the yips or are just very poor kicks for goal.

The first reason is understandable. The second simply isn't acceptable and it has cost us many games this year.

Only 7 times this year have we kicked more goals than points.

Im quite sick of it. We have many issues, but this is certainly one of them

ThirdLegUp

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There are a few giraffe's in this room too, people can see them, they just don't seem to mind, maybe even encouraging it. I keep wondering if at some point, anyone else will ponder at why these giraffe's have put in more effort playing with budgies, heads, paper cut outs and clag then what we have seen on the field.
There is a point where goofy becomes problematic. Like the cute girl who is goofy and makes you laugh because she has strange habits, and differs from the others... then one day you wake up to find she has been sitting up in bed rocking back and forth, staring at you for 7 hours while you slept. Her cute little giggle isn't so cute... and you suddenly think back and wonder if it ever actually was...

Eliteflyboy

All Australian
Aug 2, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There are a few giraffe's in this room too, people can see them, they just don't seem to mind, maybe even encouraging it. I keep wondering if at some point, anyone else will ponder at why these giraffe's have put in more effort playing with budgies, heads, paper cut outs and clag then what we have seen on the field.
There is a point where goofy becomes problematic. Like the cute girl who is goofy and makes you laugh because she has strange habits, and differs from the others... then one day you wake up to find she has been sitting up in bed rocking back and forth, staring at you for 7 hours while you slept. Her cute little giggle isn't so cute... and you suddenly think back and wonder if it ever actually was...

Just curious, did this actually happen to you? :tearsofjoy:

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A big part of it is that we rarely generate easy shots, so many from 45+ towards the boundary. Never have the guy over the top in the goal square with the sit. Ball movement and forward structure has everything to do with our accuracy
This is absolutely the problem. We don't get many clean and quick entries that hit players lace out 25m from goal.

We still miss sitters but set shots taken from on or outside the fifty are low percentage.

We also handball ridiculously inside the fifty and turn it over week after week. I know it's to find a player in a better position but I'd rather a flying shot in hope than an opposition goal.

Still the same problems two years on....

Did you hear the Bont talk about goal kicking practise on ‘Freedom in a Cage?’ Our trainers and physios won’t allow players more than 10 shots at goal at the end of a training session, lest the players overdo it & suffer burnout .

That’s not a sorry indication that the robots are taking over our beautiful game.

We should have several sessions devoted to goal kicking , and push to be allowed on the turf at our home stadium Marvel.

Luder

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Still the same problems two years on....

Did you hear the Bont talk about goal kicking practise on ‘Freedom in a Cage?’ Our trainers and physios won’t allow players more than 10 shots at goal at the end of a training session, lest the players overdo it & suffer burnout .

That’s not a sorry indication that the robots are taking over our beautiful game.

We should have several sessions devoted to goal kicking , and push to be allowed on the turf at our home stadium Marvel.
Compare it to Fev who would kick 100+ shots after every training

Back