The Real GWS (Club AFL) Academy Advantage 2017 Spelt Out

Remove this Banner Ad

You being able to access kids in traditional AFL areas is like St Kilda being the only club allowed to go into the Sandringham Dragons zone and help develop players with no other club having realistic access to those players unless St Kilda deemed them not worth drafting.

Does that sound fair?
What does your statement have to do with what I said?

What does your statement have to do with what I said?

Quite simple. You've been allowed open access to zones of kids playing AFL that no other clubs had previous permission to go in and help develop.

Your club isn't doing anything any other club couldn't do. The difference is you were allowed to by the AFL. Every other club was barred from doing it.

Quite simple. You've been allowed open access to zones of kids playing AFL that no other clubs had previous permission to go in and help develop.

Your club isn't doing anything any other club couldn't do. The difference is you were allowed to by the AFL. Every other club was barred from doing it.
Find a spot in your own state and build one.

Or is it a case of you not wanting your club or sponsors to pay for it so dont want other clubs to be allowed to.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Find a spot in your own state and build one.

Or is it a case of you not wanting your club or sponsors to pay for it so dont want other clubs to be allowed to.

What part of the AFL doesn't allow Victoria clubs to do that don't you understand?

I'll put it as simple as I can in big letters so maybe it'll sink in...

WE AREN'T ALLOWED TO BUILD ACADEMIES IN VICTORIA. THE AFL DOESN'T ALLOW IT.

What part of the AFL doesn't allow Victoria clubs to do that don't you understand?

Build it and force their hand. I mean vics have every other advantage known to man. Surely eddie would help get this across.

Build it and force their hand. I mean vics have every other advantage known to man. Surely eddie would help get this across.

Yeah we should plough a heap of money into something the AFL, all 17 other clubs and the TAC either won't allow or support. That'd be a great investment.

Exactly what advantages do we have that you don't? A father son scheme that relies on players playing a hundred games, then actually having a son then them actually choosing to play football then actually being good enough?

That's well and truly offset by the benefits of an academy. After that the benefit is?

Yeah we should plough a heap of money into something the AFL, all 17 other clubs and the TAC either won't allow or support. That'd be a great investment.

Exactly what advantages do we have that you don't? A father son scheme that relies on players playing a hundred games, then actually having a son then them actually choosing to play football then actually being good enough?

That's well and truly offset by the benefits of an academy. After that the benefit is?

So what i said is true. You dont want your club to invest in the kids but in the same breath dont want others to do the same.
Rather top heavy comp you have there. But wait you have f/s, go home factor and the premier state and junior competitions in the country based in your state to draw from. No wonder you dont want your club doing anything

What advantages? Haha

They have been listed many a time.

The thing is the only clubs that can't access F/S are GC and GWS because they've been in the comp 5 or so years. Brisbane and Sydney have always had them, Adelaide and West Coast now have access to F/S although none of note (that I know) have come into the draft system besides Jarman who ended up in the rookie draft... Port and Freo surely close to their first F/S's. Suddenly it isn't an advantage at all to Victorian clubs...

So what i said is true. You dont want your club to invest in the kids but in the same breath dont want others to do the same.
Rather top heavy comp you have there. But wait you have f/s, go home factor and the premier state and junior competitions in the country based in your state to draw from. No wonder you dont want your club doing anything

What advantages? Haha

They have been listed many a time.

Tell me... Why would Victorian clubs plow money in creating academies to develop players when they get no priority to those players? Yes it's about development but what's the point of developing players for other clubs? Like everything you need return on investment to make it worth your money.

Tell me... Why would Victorian clubs plow money in creating academies to develop players when they get no priority to those players? Yes it's about development but what's the point of developing players for other clubs? Like everything you need return on investment to make it worth your money.

This is the part where you organise your academies and then use the powers you vics have and demand the access.

But its interesting you make that argument because when the northern clubs do we are called selfish.....

This is the part where you organise your academies and then use the powers you vics have and demand the access.

But its interesting you make that argument because when the northern clubs do we are called selfish.....

Youre deliousinal if you think because we build it the AFL will allow it...
When have I stated it's selfish to put forward the argument? It's either every club has academies and priority to their academy players or none do...

We are getting a return on what we invested in the TAC. The trouble is you get the exact same return from the TAC we do despite having contributed next to nothing to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next generation academy?

You have an academy offering pathways to kids in afl heartland. How are indigenous kids and migrants lost to the game when they live in Victoria?

Youre deliousinal if you think because we build it the AFL will allow it...
When have I stated it's selfish to put forward the argument? It's either every club has academies and priority to their academy players or none do...
He's delusional.

Youve already got the 1st step with the next gen academies.

You guys just dont want your clubs to do it.

Yeah, we don't want our clubs to generate an unfair advantage over the competition.

Next gen academies aren't the first step.

Yeah, we don't want our clubs to generate an unfair advantage over the competition.

Next gen academies aren't the first step.
Haha yeah, no travel, the premier youth and state comp, Home city GF, bigger 3rd party deals than the north and go home factor.
But this is where you draw the line?

No, you just dont want your club investing in youth.
But dont want other clubs to do it.

Haha yeah, no travel, the premier youth and state comp, Home city GF, bigger 3rd party deals than the north and go home factor.
But this is where you draw the line?

No, you just dont want your club investing in youth.
But dont want other clubs to do it.

North probably travel more than any other vic team considering we play some home games in a different state.

The success of the TAC cup is really irrelevant as no clubs except GWS get any priority access to their players.

I've already showed previously that there is sfa 'go home factor' in the AFL. Plenty of victorian move interstate voluntarily to play footy. Look at all your mature age players for all the examples you need.

3rd party deals? Really? Please provide some examples because it just sounds like more deflection from you.

Home GF? Take it up with Gil. That's not a good enough reason. The Eagles, Crows, Port, Swans and Lions have overcome GF's based at the MCG to win flags and I don't hear them sooking or using it as a reason to have an academy.

I'd love for North to have an academy that gives us unrivalled access to some of the best players in the draft every year. Unfortunately, the AFL won't allow it. We have already lobbied hard to have a full academy in Tassie and were told to * off. So we have tried but the AFL won't allow it.

North probably travel more than any other vic team considering we play some home games in a different state.

Anymore than other vic teams? Probably?

You sell your home games. We are talking about away travel

The success of the TAC cup is really irrelevant as no clubs except GWS get any priority access to their players.

Yep until their 1st contract is up and they head back home. Really beneficial.

I've already showed previously that there is sfa 'go home factor' in the AFL. Plenty of victorian move interstate voluntarily to play footy. Look at all your mature age players for all the examples you need.

Brisbane Giants and Suns say otherwise.
Swans just coming off a massively successful streak so we shall see there.

But once again heartland blind to it. Funny that

3rd party deals? Really? Please provide some examples because it just sounds like more deflection from you.

Common sense.
Players cant walk out their own door in the heartland. Can do practically anything in the frontier.
Of course 3rd party deals will be bigger in the heartland states.

Home GF? Take it up with Gil. That's not a good enough reason. The Eagles, Crows, Port, Swans and Lions have overcome GF's based at the MCG to win flags and I don't hear them sooking or using it as a reason to have an academy.

Over coming an advantage doesnt take away the advantage.

As for the sooking? Just providing an alternate view to yours and the similar sooking all thread about academies.

Interesting talking about vic benefits is sooking but discussing Giants benefits isnt.

I'd love for North to have an academy that gives us unrivalled access to some of the best players in the draft every year. Unfortunately, the AFL won't allow it. We have already lobbied hard to have a full academy in Tassie and were told to **** off. So we have tried but the AFL won't allow it.

So you do have an academy setup going. Interesting. Its priority access by the way.

Last edited:
WTF? The AFL mostly fund the TAC comp on top of a few sponsors $$$, your club invests nothing to it.

I can let you into a little secret ... I dont think I should say it ... but who cares I will.

Last year when the AFL distributed regions for Victorian clubs academies there was a large behind the scenes push back from some Victorian teams ... it was all negative it was all about $$$. It was so hypocritical it was ridiculous.

In certain circles it was like a bunch of kids wanting what the new kid on the block had in his lunch box .... when the AFL offered to change the lunchbox ... OMG it was like pulling teeth!!! :rolleyes:

WTF? The AFL mostly fund the TAC comp on top of a few sponsors $$$, your club invests nothing to it.

Err who do you think the major stake holders of the AFL are?

WTF indeed on your behalf. Do you even football?

Without my club and all the other 17 clubs the AFL makes no revenue because they have no product.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back