The real legacy of Trump

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
3 years ago I told you that the biggest threat of trump is his impact on the rest of the world. The rise of autocracy with the americans no longer pushing the world to embrace democracy and multilateralism. Its created a mass vacuum and autocracy always fills it up as democracy is fragile.

despite the share of democratic countries continually rising ever since the end of the world war this trend has now not only stopped but started to reverse. We have lost eight countries to democracy this past year. this is what we should be talking about. Not US health care. Not minor wars in the middle east. not even climate change. The turn back to autocracy is a fundamental change in humanity and its growing. It will change the course of the human race for the worse if we dont stop it now.

Feb 11, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
A despicable series of events ranging from willfully evil to cartoon villainy. Its one thing to like a bad guy on TV or film, its quite another to like and/or support those same types in real life. I keep seeing polls where many US states still support him over 40% which I consider incredibly high and frightening. It goes to show sadly that facts and education are not cures for ignorance as the evidence is out there in the tonnes. The issue of rolling back environmental protections on water supplies ALONE should be enough to concern everyone over there. Yet a significant amount of people do not care.

I maintain that Trump is a symptom of the problem, not the cause.

We've seen communication channels opened up more than ever, instant access to almost everyone for almost everyone. That has resulted in politics moving at a faster pace, large swells of public support behind movements has lead to lots of momentum. Except those large swells are a small pocket of society, those great broad communication channels don't actually include a large part of society at all.

So this momentum cuts against the grain for big voting blocks and they've taken their chance to speak when they've felt it's their turn - at the elections.

Most people are cut out of the discussion on twitter and other social media but those there treat it as if it's a cross section of society, that all their opinions are mostly agreed with and the world reflects their perspective of reality. Then they get the jarring stop at the elections.

This election for the Democrats should be a slam dunk, they only needed to be practically the republican party minus Trump and they would win. Instead they have taken up the flag on climate policy, social policy, health and taxation and walked left with their vocal supporters, walking away from that massive middle American voting block.

This election for the Republicans should be a slam dunk, they only needed to not be seen to be lead by a guy carrying the baggage of Trump - because they win on policy.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong

We've seen communication channels opened up more than ever, instant access to almost everyone for almost everyone. That has resulted in politics moving at a faster pace, large swells of public support behind movements has lead to lots of momentum. Except those large swells are a small pocket of society, those great broad communication channels don't actually include a large part of society at all.

So this momentum cuts against the grain for big voting blocks and they've taken their chance to speak when they've felt it's their turn - at the elections.

Most people are cut out of the discussion on twitter and other social media but those there treat it as if it's a cross section of society, that all their opinions are mostly agreed with and the world reflects their perspective of reality. Then they get the jarring stop at the elections.

This election for the Democrats should be a slam dunk, they only needed to be practically the republican party minus Trump and they would win. Instead they have taken up the flag on climate policy, social policy, health and taxation and walked left with their vocal supporters, walking away from that massive middle American voting block.

This election for the Republicans should be a slam dunk, they only needed to not be seen to be lead by a guy carrying the baggage of Trump - because they win on policy.
Trump is the symptom of some problems. he is the symptom of a lack of support for unskilled workers during globalisation. He is the symptom of academics pushing extreme identitarian ideology into the left side of politics. He is the symptom of the bushs middle eastern wars. but his love of autocrats and bilateralism is something that he started pushing in the west And its created a vacume In the rest of the world.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood

This is true. How do you get a situation where that debate is the best a country supposedly free and democratic can do?
3 years ago I told you that the biggest threat of trump is his impact on the rest of the world. The rise of autocracy with the americans no longer pushing the world to embrace democracy and multilateralism. Its created a mass vacuum and autocracy always fills it up as democracy is fragile

So people need to protect their own Democracies? Why the * is anyone still listening to the US?
Independence of the Nation State is crucial. Instead we have a situation where its follow China and their money to spite it being a total totalitarian dictatorship or follow the US which crowned itself in glory today.

More independent nations are needed. Not some bullshit carry on about super powers.

3 years ago I told you that the biggest threat of trump is his impact on the rest of the world. The rise of autocracy with the americans no longer pushing the world to embrace democracy and multilateralism. Its created a mass vacuum and autocracy always fills it up as democracy is fragile.

despite the share of democratic countries continually rising ever since the end of the world war this trend has now not only stopped but started to reverse. We have lost eight countries to democracy this past year. this is what we should be talking about. Not US health care. Not minor wars in the middle east. not even climate change. The turn back to autocracy is a fundamental change in humanity and its growing. It will change the course of the human race for the worse if we dont stop it now.

we can add WA to that list, with the government undermining democracy and ignoring the constitution rather than putting it to the people.

It will be 50 years before we know what actually happened.

but the writing is on the wall. If trump has another 4 years its the end of democracy as a poweful force on this planet.
Why is up to Trump or the United States to keep Hungry as a democracy? Why can’t the EU and it’s nations be the influencer? Why is up to the USA?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
the end of democracy heh?

just a bit over dramatic
its already happening. As of this year the majority of people on this planet no longer live in democracies. Turkey, russia and hungry are no longer democracies. China is dramatically catching up in wealth and global influence. It is swaying smaller countries. Even the USAs democratic institutions are struggling to maintain the peoples trust. As soon as the people lose trust in the free media and public services independency then Democracy is dead in the USA. A president with control of both the senate and house and supreme court will simply become a dictator if no one trusts the media or public service to be independent.

Last edited:
It doesnt matter who is responsible. Its happening and donald trump is the change that is enabling it.
Why is the change Donald trump that is enabled it and not Scott Morrison?

because its the usa that has driven the spread of world democracy since the end of world war 2.
How have they done that?

Back