Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Do you think Collingwood/Richmond/et al would be silent in the same position? FFS I heard complaints about the cost of flights to Brisbane this week! Those teams get the familiarity of playing where they play 13 & 14 times respectively during the season (we play 9) and you don’t think it’s an advantage?
As much as Scott is putting forward what we think is fair it’s also drawing a line at the advantage given against us. We should never just “take it” and if you think we should you don’t have our best interests at heart!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here here.

It’s not Scott talking of his own bat. Clearly from last night hearing Cooky get a bit choked up about it that this is the CEO, board and Scott.

I am glad they are going in to bat for the the Geelong town and region all which would benefit from a genuine home final and moreover it’s good siege mentality. Us v the world. All of the non Geelong media have it in for us as well. All having a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here here.

It’s not Scott talking of his own bat. Clearly from last night hearing Cooky get a bit choked up about it that this is the CEO, board and Scott.

I am glad they are going in to bat for the the Geelong town and region all which would benefit from a genuine home final and moreover it’s good siege mentality. Us v the world. All of the non Geelong media have it in for us as well. All having a go.

Was good to listen to the nuffies on SEN last night, pretty much a 50/50 split of "I don't see why they can't play a home final when everyone else can" vs "they need to buy a handbag!"

Also the whole whinging thing in that recent press conference, it amazes me that even some of the Geelong people in this thread fail to realise he was definitively responding to a specific question about it. Pretty sad that people would pot shot their own club without having all the facts at hand.

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Canberra? I mentioned two other places....did your read that?

Let's not forget we lost the home final, so not sure Scott's finals record would improve. He is behaving like a very nervous coach who is again afraid of losing.
Why don’t you take Geelong out of the equation and ask yourself if the team that finishes higher deserves the venue choice. Just try to look at the principle involved here. Don’t get sidetracked by other aspects of the situation-just focus on that.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Why don’t you take Geelong out of the equation and ask yourself if the team that finishes higher deserves the venue choice. Just try to look at the principle involved here. Don’t get sidetracked by other aspects of the situation-just focus on that.

I've always been consistent on this.

I didn't think it was fair that WCE AND Brisbane both had to play Carlton at the MCG in 1999 and 2000 respectively, because of some deal struck with the MCG. In both cases, Carlton were alive another week because of it.

I even think that the Brisbane Lions v Geelong PF in 2004 should have been at the Gabba, not the MCG. Brisbane finished higher than us, so deserved a second home final.

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Ok-so why didn't Scotty bring it up in 2011? 2012 if it all about the principle?

If you only want us to focus on the "principle" then why has the principle suddenly become important?

mmmm...it coincides with us losing finals at the G and Richmond and Collingwood playing finals.

Ok-so why didn't Scotty bring it up in 2011? 2012 if it all about the principle?

If you only want us to focus on the "principle" then why has the principle suddenly become important?

mmmm...it coincides with us losing finals at the G and Richmond and Collingwood playing finals.

Because when we played our finals at the MCG in those years, it was on the back of the idea that all finals are played at the largest available venue within the teams home state.

It was always something of an unknown with GC & GWS as to what would happen when they started playing finals and a waiting game for them to be in contention.

Once GWS was in a situation of playing finals (2016) the AFL confirmed that both them & GC would play their home finals on their home grounds, even though there are AFL venues with higher capacity within their states.

So it's a bit of an insult to Geelong when the AFL continually looks after the new teams and doesn't apply a standardised rule across the board - the capacity of the home grounds for both GC & GWS is lower than that of GMHBA, so why are Geelong home finals moved but their home finals aren't?

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong

K.Park’s increased capacity following redevelopments that began long ago is obviously a factor. The redevelopment is ongoing. The club has been on a long term plan to be a credible venue and to cement itself as a ground that others have to come to.
Why not get behind the club?

Because when we played our finals at the MCG in those years, it was on the back of the idea that all finals are played at the largest available venue within the teams home state.

It was always something of an unknown with GC & GWS as to what would happen when they started playing finals and a waiting game for them to be in contention.

Once GWS was in a situation of playing finals (2016) the AFL confirmed that both them & GC would play their home finals on their home grounds, even though there are AFL venues with higher capacity within their states.

So it's a bit of an insult to Geelong when the AFL continually looks after the new teams and doesn't apply a standardised rule across the board - the capacity of the home grounds for both GC & GWS is lower than that of GMHBA, so why are Geelong home finals moved but their home finals aren't?
EXCELLENT reply. I was thinking how to reply to that question, which is also a good one.

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

So why not bring it up every press conference in 2016, if you are right?

Yeah but he is whinging about having to play melb teams at home grounds. Gws were never going to lock out 50k like we would next week.

If gws were playing coll it would be intersting to see what they would do:

Scotts plan would see our stadium half full of pies fans with finals allocation and that would certainly be unique. It also denies a lot of our fans a chance to go.

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
K.Park’s increased capacity following redevelopments that began long ago is obviously a factor. The redevelopment is ongoing. The club has been on a long term plan to be a credible venue and to cement itself as a ground that others have to come to.
Why not get behind the club?

Because i dont agree and its all about scott losing at the G.

Yeah but he is whinging about having to play melb teams at home grounds. Gws were never going to lock out 50k like we would next week.

Scotts plan would see our stadium half full of pies fans with finals allocation and that would certainly be unique. It also denies a lot of our fans a chance to go.

Hmmm... Geelong members were allocated 27,500 seats when they went on sale on Wednesday and only 9,000 were bought

Seems a lot of our fans are missing out anyway - either choosing not to go or it's not convenient to go

And as for "every press conference" - how about it's in the media at the moment because the media continue to raise the issue also. The questions stopped being asked and we don't have to hear about it at times in the lead up to finals

No really.. i was answering a question... i am allowed a point of view .
Your pov is fine. But I really believe it is deeper.
People in the late 60's , 70's were unhappy we had to play Tigers in finals at the G.
It got hosed down.
I really don't believe CS is concerned about his W-L ratio in finals at the G. Our record at Geelong stinks.
But he knows we have to be better than we are capable of to match it with the Tigers and Pies at the G just to get to the GF.
Unlike WCE (or Swans etc, previously) who actually get 2 home finals en route to a GF, we don't. If he can be the spokesperson for change in that area during his tenure, he has done more for us than a 70:30 W-L ratio

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Hmmm... Geelong members were allocated 27,500 seats when they went on sale on Wednesday and only 9,000 were bought

Seems a lot of our fans are missing out anyway - either choosing not to go or it's not convenient to go

And as for "every press conference" - how about it's in the media at the moment because the media continue to raise the issue also. The questions stopped being asked and we don't have to hear about it at times in the lead up to finals

No ..CS has clearly put this on the agenda and now responds to the fire he lit.

If you are right, why didnt his weekly outrage start in 2016?

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Because i dont agree and its all about scott losing at the G.
Unlikely. The club put it on the agenda when they requested a final at Geelong earlier in the year. Scott is pushing the club line. If anything he is a sacrificial iamb because nobody expects the AFL to change it’s mind overnight-it’s going to take years of agitating to get this changed.
He’s not an idiot-as if he’d make it an issue if he had genuine concerns about playing at the G. Our record there this year is very good and the team will be looking forward to playing the pies there.
Aside from that, the current set up is neither fair nor consistently applied and the AFL at some point will need to address it.
And it’s not just about finals- the club clearly wants more home games in Geelong, and wants the big clubs to come and play us down there. It’s part of an evolving plan the club has been working on for many years. You know- if we build it, they will come. Good for them. The times are a changing, but they won’t change unless we push it.

Last edited:

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory

Its to do with what we’ve done to Kpark since 2011.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

We are asking now cause the stadium has had millions spent on it, and capacity significantly increased. Isn’t that obvious? The club wants a return on investment, cause they put a chunk of money into the development.

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
because the MCG holds way more people and Kardinia Park is hugely unfair due to the unique dimensions

no one cares about a GWS vs Bulldogs final

interstate sides deserve more of an advantage due to the increased travel requirements they have to do throughout the year
The MCG's capacity is not an issue, the capacity argument was already dealt with by Catters 070911 using the example of the Giants home ground.

Kardinia Park has had the same dimensions for the last 75 years since it became our home ground, nobody has claimed it is unfair, other than you. Aussie Rules evolved from the use of cricket grounds and as a result of cricket having no accepted standard dimensions our game has inherited that tradition. There are many different dimensions to other grounds and it has always been accepted as one of the unique and interesting aspects of our league and our game.

Many people do care about GWS vs Bulldogs including their members and supporters and the advertising sponsors.

It is interesting that you propagate arguments that even the AFL is not willing to enter into. Non-Victorian clubs already have a series of advantages which Victorian clubs do not have. However even if your ridiculous claim was applied it would enable the Grand Final to be played interstate, which is a real and reasonable suggestion. I guess you would support the GF being shifted interstate if an interstate club qualified higher, except if they were playing Geelong then the double-standard would apply and you would expect us to bend over to give the 'deserving' interstate clubs a fairer opportunity.

Last edited:

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
It's just money, plain and simple. If Collingwood had to travel down the highway and play us in Geelong, the AFL would miss out on 60,000 tickets. That's literally millions of dollars in revenue. I think the AFL would be willing to take a pay cut for a certain percentage, but not a 60-70% pay cut. If we could hold 50,000 in Geelong it wouldn't be so bad and we'd be a chance to get a home final, but until that happens, this will remain the norm. The AFL is a business, and what about business is ever fair?
The AFL get very little money, if any at all, from H&A gate takings, the clubs get it. The AFL's main money comes from TV.

Last edited:

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
This has to stop. If we are good enough we win regardless of the venue. It is what it is. Didn’t effect us in the glory years.
Why should it stop? There is nothing wrong with the Geelong Football Club advocating for a fairer system. Your claim "If we are good enough we win regardless of the venue." is not shared by clubs like Collingwood and Richmond, if they had to travel to Geelong for a H&A game, let alone a final they will be up in arms, their fans and advocates will be on every media pushing their case. Do you really think we are a second-rate club, a poor cousin, that should not allow its leaders to speak up on behalf of fans in the interests of fairness? We should shut up and accept our lot.

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Agree 100%. Don't like CS going on about it all the time either.
Not really instilling confidence in the playing group.
Leave that s**t to the president.
I'd prefer something like Beverage yesterday. Basically F**k Yeah, we can't wait!
As a player you'd be like Whoa, our coach really thinks we can do this
Scott does not go on about it all the time. He recently mentioned the inequality of non-Victorian clubs having to play the GF on the MCG even if they qualified higher than their opponent. That issue was blown out of proportion by the media who turned it into Scott advocating home finals for Geelong, which Scott has done, but hardly "all the time". The playing group are not kindergarten children, they know the must be focused on the game at hand. If Scott or Carter has a discussion over venues, rules, player movement and so on, the players are quite capable of compartmentalising those issues.

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I think Gil needs to come out at the start of next season and either declare that Geelong will get home finals going forward, or they won't.

If we don't, we need to accept it and move on.

If we do, Richmond, Hawthorn etc need to shut up and accept it.

What is either side going to do? They can't go to another league.

Gil needs to grow a set, and make a decisive decision, once and for all, forever. That will end all speculation, and CS can get it off his chest before Round 1.

But only making a decision late in the season every season is policy on the run, and not the way to do things.

There's no ruling he could make that couldn't be overturned, revised or otherwise changed.

In effect the AFL have already pretty clearly made a ruling of that kind against us, they just don't announce the (pretty obvious) outcomes of their policies ahead of time.

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Because about 60,000 people who may want to go, including many Cats fans, don't get the opportunity.
On that basis Collingwood and Richmond should be able to play ALL their games at the MCG. That argument has not been used by the AFL for the obvious reason I just gave. It is interesting that some here are using the arguments of our opponents rather than arguments used by the AFL. Poor Richmond and Collingwood supporters their interests are more important than fairness between the teams.

Back