The REAL reasons we don't get finals at GMHBA Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Those examples are hardly comparable. Richmond v Sydney at Marvel is still a home game against an interstate side. Hawthorn and North playing in Tassie are still playing home games against clubs who are playing away. The Giants are the same. In Geelong's case we play 'home' games at the MCG against Hawthorn, Richmond and Collingwood, their home ground; we are playing alleged 'home games' at our opponents home ground. Did you not understand this?

You seem to have a problem with reading comprehension. I did not call you "snide and ignorant", I called your comment "snide and ignorant", which it was.
Tigers playing swans at Marvel just means when you add that to their 13 at the G, they have 14 games where they are either at an advantage or in a neutral position at worst. So cushy tiges! Count your blessings you sooky lalas.

You never replied to the tigers (and pies and hawks) playing at marvel in response to your silly claim that we are the only side that doesn't play 11 home games . The away games they get are not the point as you claimed it is only us who don't get 11 home games....it simply isn't true. Admit you got that wrong.

them playing away games there is a separate argument.

Again, I never made that claim.

I replied to your post in which it was discussed

... and you have 9 likes for this drivel.. lol.

Like everything in life, there is a hierarchy and whether you like it or not, your stadiums capacity simple doesn’t hold the numbers to satisfy the vested interests.

Sad reality. I don’t think the clubs are scared to play you. You make yourself look extremely childish with this statement.

I would have been grateful for a close and entertaining final on Friday. Now after reading your garbage, all I would love is to demolish you guys.
Would have thought that was a given anyway. You have had 8 years to stew over our last finals match.

Not a single AFL player would be on that same page with you.

Agree totally.
Interestingly most are only looking at this one way.
Oh this will derail the playing group, I doubt it. Our form on the G has been good.

I’m not suggesting this is the motivation behind Scotty’s words but possibly this may even galvanise the playing group.
Malthouse used this ploy to great effect with some bog ordinary teams.
In short this will not impact on the players one iota just putting out an alternative view.

I think it’s great the club calls out the AFL for all its inequalities, for the media to make anything from this just shows how devoid they are of genuine football stories.

Here’s one that’s been kept fairly quiet.

Ticket sellers for the Bulldogs Crows game last week in Ballarat doubled up on 200 tickets due to two distributors involved.

I know of people despite having genuine tickets being turned away at the gate after driving up the night before and staying in hotels.

No compensation?

Now wouldn’t you think a free ticket to a finals could be arranged.
No let’s talk about Geelong whinging about not getting a home final instead.

We are the younger sibling of the competition (smaller) we had our turn now they just want us to disappear and let the big boys play (read Tigs etc here).

Only we won’t and continue to defy the system while proving (off the ground at least) what a great club we are.
Love some more success, while that’s been missing I love the fact that we do things like last week and grab young fans and include them in the song.
Couldn’t be prouder.

... and you have 9 likes for this drivel.. lol.

Like everything in life, there is a hierarchy and whether you like it or not, your stadiums capacity simple doesn’t hold the numbers to satisfy the vested interests.

Sad reality. I don’t think the clubs are scared to play you. You make yourself look extremely childish with this statement.

I would have been grateful for a close and entertaining final on Friday. Now after reading your garbage, all I would love is to demolish you guys.
I quite enjoyed the last time we played a final on your home ground. And the tears of your players after you lost.

Hi guys...there's a lot of discussion about home ground advantages but there's one thing that puzzles me. There's so much talk about Kardinia Park being narrow, but that never seemed to be an issue. when the new stand was built...was the playing surfaced reduced in size? In my mind, Kardinia Park was always around 145 metres wide, but now its listed as considerably narrower. Does anyone know if this has happened?

Hi guys...there's a lot of discussion about home ground advantages but there's one thing that puzzles me. There's so much talk about Kardinia Park being narrow, but that never seemed to be an issue. when the new stand was built...was the playing surfaced reduced in size? In my mind, Kardinia Park was always around 145 metres wide, but now its listed as considerably narrower. Does anyone know if this has happened?

KP has always been thin and long but it boundary did come in another 1/2m last year due to Jack Ziebell cutting his hand on the fence. It’s now the thinnest and 3rd longest in the comp (170m - 116m) with the G being the fattest and sitting 11th for length (161m - 138m).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand the AFL's reasoning in scheduling the QF at the MCG although I do consider it unfair to a degree.

What I don't get is why a possible Geelong v West Coast Semi Final (in the event Geelong loses to Collingwood) is scheduled at the MCG. Surely that could be played at KP? The AFL had no problem sending us there in 2013.

I understand the AFL's reasoning in scheduling the QF at the MCG although I do consider it unfair to a degree.

What I don't get is why a possible Geelong v West Coast Semi Final (in the event Geelong loses to Collingwood) is scheduled at the MCG. Surely that could be played at KP? The AFL had no problem sending us there in 2013.
The alternative in 2013 was our have at Marvel - don't think either side wanted that.

The AFL uses the MCG for finals because it makes them more money through ticket sales to corporates etc

Don't let the line about being for the fans fool ya - it's all about the money for them

The alternative in 2013 was our have at Marvel - don't think either side wanted that.

The AFL uses the MCG for finals because it makes them more money through ticket sales to corporates etc

Don't let the line about being for the fans fool ya - it's all about the money for them
The feeling amongst Freo fans in 2013 was strongly in favour of playing at Marvel. Our record there at the time was very good. At KP - not so much.

I can understand the AFL wanting Geelong v Collingwood at the MCG as it means 50K more tickets sold. But what is Geelong v Eagles going to draw? If it draws say 60K, is that enough extra to justify Geelong forfeiting its right to a real home final?

The feeling amongst Freo fans in 2013 was strongly in favour of playing at Marvel. Our record there at the time was very good. At KP - not so much.

I can understand the AFL wanting Geelong v Collingwood at the MCG as it means 50K more tickets sold. But what is Geelong v Eagles going to draw? If it draws say 60K, is that enough extra to justify Geelong forfeiting its right to a real home final?
After Week 1, there are no games played on the same day, therefore the MCG becomes avaliable for all possible finals.

Docklands at 55,000 makes less money than the MCG at 55,000, so the AFL will never play a final there again unless there are 4 Melbourne finals, and none of the home teams are Geelong. (Same goes for Geelong finals. Only in Week 1, and only with 4 Melbourne clubs hosting).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're in it - not sure anyone other than the media really care to be honest. It makes for a great story leading up to finals but I'm sure that come this morning that the club, players & coaches etc had put it behind them as they prepare for next week.

Blicavs was on one of the footy shows yesterday and as he said, we have a training ground at Deakin the same dimensions as the MCG so the team will be making use of that for training sessions
Such a stupid post. Statistics dont lie. The evidence is overwhelming.

There is no crowd size that justifies unfairness. Other elite sporting comps dont move games to maximise crowds at the expense of fairness. But cos this rule only seriously disadvantages one club the majority dont give a sh**.

Such a stupid post. Statistics dont lie. The evidence is overwhelming.
lol - you are quoting the 6th reply to the thread, and a reply that was made 2 hours after the initial post and trying to somehow justify it as being a stupid post

Maybe if my response was on the 9th page of the thread, then you would have a point. But I still stand by my comment that this issue is bigger for the media than it is for others - the only reason this thread hasn't died is because the issue keeps surfacing in the media and they aren't letting it die. If this thread falls to the second page of the forum, I don't see it getting resurrected too soon

Not true about being the only team not getting 11 home games-Richmond have to play one at marvel every year (this year against Sydney) and hawthorn and North play at Tassie, Gaints at Canberra etc etc, we simply have more than one home venue like the tigers do (they don't choose to have a game at Marvel) and many sides spread their home games across.
Also, this is a forum and I don't appreciate being called "snide and ignorant" just because you can't make sense of my argument. At least get your facts right when you say we are the only team that doesn't get 11 home games-simply wrong.

So, Captain chaos, why don't YOU go the whole hog, and just say that you think we shouldn't play ANY games whatsoever in Geelong?

I mean, if capacity is the reason, then what about all our home games at GHMBA? Isn't the capacity the same?

So, under your argument, not only should we not get finals at home, but we shouldn't get any games at home.

Face it, you, BiggyBoy and Spazcats are traitors, and aren't really Geelong supporters. I think you actually go for other teams, but put "Geelong" as your team in your profile, so that you can troll here and not get kicked off by mods. Just admit that you REALLY go for Richmond, Judas.

I would love us to win the flag, and Chris Scott to coach us to another premiership, so that you will need a giant spatula to wipe the massive egg off your stupid, ugly face, and then will have to admit that CS can coach, and if he wins the flag, he can say and talk about what he damn likes. Who cares what a POS like you, who lies about who they go for, thinks.

I think if we win the flag in four weeks, you need to come on here, apologize, and then go away, and never post here again, and go post on your real team's board instead. It is a disgrace that a loser like you claims to go for my team.

Brisbane had a crowd of 37000 tonight. A strong argument for Cats hosting West Coast on friday night with a potential capacity of 36000

Geelong needs to separate from Melbourne and play all home games in a Geelong, away games in Melb and out of Victoria. Home finals will be in a Geelong no matter the home state crap. Pies, Bombers etc will have to travel down the highway.

Issue is Geelong won’t do this. Can’t expect to demand home finals if we still play home games at MCG.

Who cares about crowd numbers if this comp is supposed to be fair.

Geelong needs to separate from Melbourne and play all home games in a Geelong, away games in Melb and out of Victoria. Home finals will be in a Geelong no matter the home state crap. Pies, Bombers etc will have to travel down the highway.

Issue is Geelong won’t do this. Can’t expect to demand home finals if we still play home games at MCG.

Who cares about crowd numbers if this comp is supposed to be fair.

Good thing that we don't actually request any home games in Melbourne then isn't it

The club requests 11 home games in Geelong every year and the AFL says NO and makes us play a couple of games in Melbourne.

I believe that when we are forced by the AFL to play home games in Melbourne, the club reluctantly asks for them to be played at the MCG with no home games at Marvel

Hmmm... I'm thinking the discussion at AFL House yesterday about where to host our final was like:

P1: How many people can we realistically expect on Friday night? Are WCE fans likely to fly over in masses on a work day when they may have to repeat the trip next week?

P2: One way we can make sure it looks like GMHBA is too small to host is by allowing multiple tickets purchased per membership. Fill up the crowd with non-members to bulk out the numbers

P1: Perfect, let's do it

And that's how we ended up with this:

Limit of eight (8) tickets per membership

You can purchase a maximum of eight (8) tickets in one transaction.

Good thing that we don't actually request any home games in Melbourne then isn't it

The club requests 11 home games in Geelong every year and the AFL says NO and makes us play a couple of games in Melbourne.

I believe that when we are forced by the AFL to play home games in Melbourne, the club reluctantly asks for them to be played at the MCG with no home games at Marvel

I hear this line trotted out on radio that often ..as if we are the ones who are in total control of the fixture...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back