The REALLY REAL Tom Doedee Thread

Discussion in 'Adelaide' started by fabs33, Jan 27, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. Glenny83

Glenny83 All Australian

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    I was thinking the same thing about him in round one for an interrupted Cheney.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. The Sloane Ranger

The Sloane Ranger Premium Platinum

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    CDFC
    If Doedee starts the season ahead of Cheney it will be Doedee's spot to lose from there on in

Crow Envy and Jinglebells32 like this.
  3. 1970crow

1970crow Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    I think with Noble gone Clarke and Campo have lost a fair amount of like minded influence. I've been blaming our most influential footy dept employee for ages regarding our selection policy and its preference to select based on games played ahead of actual form. I still have concerns with Pyke, statements like, "you reward players who've done good things for the club over a long period of time". But, we have to accept that he's going to support whatever selection decisions were made and it's certainly more plausible than the non-statistical followed by delisting bullshit that came from Noble.

Anyway, with Noble gone I'm backing we'll see the change in selection philosophy that many of us have been calling for. Bookmark it!

4. marty36

marty36 Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:

To be an AFL coach and gain a job being an AFL coach, you would have strong ideas and go with what you beleive is the way to win. There is no way known that Pyke would put his destiny in others hands as Blight did when he walked into the AFC, it was his way or the highway, he would take the credit but also the critisicm. Pyke would respect others opinions but doesnt seem to the sort to go with someones opinion if he felt it was wrong. Campo and whoever, if they sold the story well it could influence him, but the classic is Mackay, Pyke believes he has a spot as a back up but high up the list considering we only used 27 players and he played a fair bit, this board have complained and whinged about Makay, dont tell me Pyke is influenced by his assistants that much if there are glaring issues. Pyke obviously believes he adds to the team, its his arse on the line no one elses.

5. DD#23

DD#23 Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    fingers bloody crossed is all I can say, I've always agreed its a decent theory though.

6. 1970crow

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Again Marty, you are just repeating a long held belief of yours based on nothing but your own musings. Nathan Buckley and Chris Scott both laughed at Robbo for having the same view as you on 360. They both stated that they've gone into a selection meeting with a strong view that a player will make way but have come out with that player being selected.

I know you will continue to believe that Pyke is the sole decision maker, but 2 AFL coaches have stated that selection committee doesn't work like that.

Ramify and ommot like this.
  7. DJ75

DJ75 Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    36ers
    I think the mechanics he is being taught is sound, but the methodology for introducing it is flawed and reveals a complete lack of understanding of neural pathways. Essentially its amateur rather than professional in approach.

8. DJ75

DJ75 Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    36ers
    From my previous posts you can figure that one out!

9. crowsup

crowsup Premium Platinum

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Are you saying that it is the majority of the selection committee that decides on the selections? If that is the case, the argument that a player is preferred continually because he's the pet of one of the selectors, does not compute.
    So, DMack''s selection was not due to just one selector liking him. He must be the pet of a few of the selectors. Just like CEY must be hated by most of the selectors.
    You have now confused me. (Not that it takes much to do so:p). Now I don't know wether to blame Campo or Pyke for our bad results. It was a lot easier when we could blame just one of them.

footy4ever, SydCrow and Ozzie like this.
  10. Mr_Moogle

Mr_Moogle Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Sturt FC
    Hows about that Brexit? ;)

deaneus likes this.
  11. TexForPM

TexForPM Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Biff is that you? I knew you knew the future TSR - fantasy team LOCK!
    Give me the winners for tonights dogs at Mandurah. Long odds, please

[​IMG]

Wouldbetackler likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. 1970crow

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    It's a committee, but that doesn't mean there's a vote. If Campo is strong that he wants Dmac in his midfield mix and there's strong support from Noble and luke warm support from Clarke, then they've pretty much got enough of a consensus. You'd need a group of strong views just to get a discussion going. When CEY came in, he really was a low TOG forward with a smidge of midfield time. Campo would be quite strong on not wanting him despite both times losing a full time mid. But there wouldn't be strong support for CEY to be a mid from other line coaches, it's not their area.

Pyke should be able to push his view strongly as Bucks and Scott should. But, as a first year coach at our club, I reckon there's a lot of sitting back and assessing. I wouldn't expect him to go too hard against Campo and Noble, but that dynamic has now been turned on its head. Whilst not being omnipotent, I expect this year's selection will be much more influenced by Pyke.

Ozzie likes this.
  13. SydCrow

SydCrow Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Norwood
    could explain why our goal kicking also sucks

can you talk a bit more about neural pathways? What are they doing v what should they be doing?

14. crowsup

crowsup Premium Platinum

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    So! You're saying that Campo is the strong one and that we should blame him. Got it.

arrowman likes this.
  15. BunjiMac

BunjiMac Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Leadership has multiple dimensions, each can be effective but people respond differently to them as well.

Blight was very strong in terms of commanding and given his experiences in coaching and playing "his way" was very effective. But it was always his way or the highway. The game has changed so much and so quickly that I'm not sure how effective that style would be in modern day football.

Pyke definitely doesn't strike me as particularly strong in the commanding department, but strikes me as being very strategic in his style and inclusive in his relationships. Given the huge complexity in the modern and the reliance on others to be successful it is very appropriate for him to be our leader.

In saying that, he was a rookie coach they inherited a team and department, so I could absolutely see him putting trust in and supporting those in his coaching team, even if he disagreed with some of them. This is his style and way of empowering those around him to get that most out of them. There would obviously be a line whereby you say enough is enough, but I think it's the rookie element they probably resulted in him not backing himself as much as he should have.

You will see something different this year, I'm certain of it.

16. Cleric

Cleric Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    I would hope we didnt use a first round draft pick on a guy the club has to retrain how to actually kick properly.

deaneus and Elite Crow like this.
  17. mistylake

mistylake Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
    Trumped by Trump I'd say.

Mr_Moogle likes this.
  18. mistylake

mistylake Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
    Im pretty sure we're trialling back to the future technology this year.
    Brainomatic 3000.
    IMG_8803.JPG

Drugs Are Bad Mackay? likes this.
  19. Footypie32

Footypie32 especias secreto

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    SA Spurs, Royals, Team Mystic
    I also wonder how many tickets he used getting/keeping McGovern in the team? There would be a fair bit of give and take I'd imagine.

20. 1970crow

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Campo is the midfield coach and Clarke is the stoppage coach. These guys opinions on who they want in their group carry a lot of weight. This shouldn't surprise you.

21. Kane McGoodwin

Kane McGoodwin Hall of Famer

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Adelaide Crows
    Reckon Pyke will have the final say, particularly now he has observed for a year.

Remember Pyke wants more flexible players who can play multiple positions, so not only about playing in the midfield, but other positions too.

22. Drugs Are Bad Mackay?

Drugs Are Bad Mackay? Moderator

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool
    All selections from now on are 100% Pyke's responsibility. If he didn't agree with selections that were put forward previously now he's had his chance to change personnel or adjust roles.

crowsup and deaneus like this.
  23. 1970crow

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Maybe, but that's certainly not what Buckley and Chris Scott said on 360. They said that they've gone in with a firm view on a certain in/out and have come out of match committee without that having happened. They openly scoffed when Robbo suggested that they have a final say and get their way. We may operate our match committee different to Pies and Cats though.

24. 1970crow

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    I doubt that we've got the cash to pay out Campo and then potentially pay spending tax on his replacement.

25. Drugs Are Bad Mackay?

Drugs Are Bad Mackay? Moderator

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool
    Shuffling titles is what we're best at.

Easing assistant coaches off the match committee would also be 100% in his domain. Wouldn't cost an extra cent.

No excuses for Pyke now.

deaneus likes this.