The reason I believe GC rejected Bomber as coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

GTOA

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
At one stage, Mark Thompson was hot favourite to win the GC coaching job, then, suddenly, they lost all interest.

There has been much speculation as to why, with a lot citing his speech at the Essendon B & F. But I can think of a reason no-one has mentioned.

Maybe Gary Ablett didn't want Bomber as coach of GC.

Think about it. Bomber bullied Ablett out of Geelong. They hate each other's guts. So, it is understandable when the most influential player at GC says that he doesn't want a certain person coaching the club.

Caro on "Footy Classified" said that Gary Ablett ordered Guy McKenna to get sacked. I don't believe that. I can believe if Ablett gave the club his opinion of hiring a man who treated him with contempt back at Geelong, and criticised Gazza for disloyalty, and then left himself.

I think Rodney Eade is a better fit for you guys anyway, and he might finally win that elusive flag. Also, I think Ablett would have no issues working with Eade.

At one stage, Mark Thompson was hot favourite to win the GC coaching job, then, suddenly, they lost all interest.

There has been much speculation as to why, with a lot citing his speech at the Essendon B & F. But I can think of a reason no-one has mentioned.

Think about it. Bomber bullied Ablett out of Geelong. They hate each other's guts. So, it is understandable when the most influential player at GC says that he doesn't want a certain person coaching the club.

Caro on "Footy Classified" said that Gary Ablett ordered Guy McKenna to get sacked. I don't believe that. I can believe if Ablett gave the club his opinion of hiring a man who treated him with contempt back at Geelong, and criticised Gazza for disloyalty, and then left himself.

I think Rodney Eade is a better fit for you guys anyway, and he might finally win that elusive flag. Also, I think Ablett would have no issues working with Eade.
The reason Bomber is not a shoe in is his dependence and his wife's affinity for prohibited substances

Sorry mate but your off the mark, Bomber was never in the running it was all just speculation from the Melbourne media.

Thompsons agent contacted the Suns to try and force Essendons hand (and it almost worked)

Also Gary is did not and would not insist on Blueys sacking, (I note this is from the same source that said Hird had been sacked, Caro) he gave his opinion when asked and from all reports was measured and honest in his response (as he should be)

• Banned
They don't hate each others guts at all, and have well moved on from any animosity from each other. I thought this was well documented.

Bomber is a nutcase. That's why he wasn't hired.

If you are saying that they got along at Bob Davis' s funeral, that doesn't mean much.

Maybe they put aside their animosity because it is douchey to fight at a funeral.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back