Analysis The rebuild of Carlton and Brisbane and their future prospects

Which team has the better future prospects on-field?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Wow. I forgot there was time, just a few years ago, when Brisbane and Carlton could be compared.

Brisbane in the flag hunt while Carlton just dreams of cobbling together a team that can make the 8. Shows how far smart recruiting and a good club culture can get you in just a short amount of time.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Wow. I forgot there was time, just a few years ago, when Brisbane and Carlton could be compared.

Brisbane in the flag hunt while Carlton just dreams of cobbling together a team that can make the 8. Shows how far smart recruiting and a good club culture can get you in just a short amount of time.

When I want tips on winning finals, building strong club culture and good recruiting, I'll get them from someone other than a Bombers fan thanks.

8b80b9dfef6a6fe61d5886106e054e8c.jpg

And we are still waiting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I swear you were the same guy who said months ago that it's lame to attack opposition clubs or something along those lines.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
b08cc794261d56be35b80f2aaa60f021.jpg

Yet weirdly we've actually been closer than you guys to a flag, and have a higher finish on the ladder than Essendon (and therefore been more of a premiership contender), and actually won finals ,and have played off in a Grand final more recently than you guys over the last 20 years.

s**t, we actually played off in a prelim last decade.

Yes, for as s**t as we've been, you've actually been worse.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Carlton will be a much better team when McGovern isn’t best 22.

Think it's more the opposite actually. McGovern had no issues flat tracking it in a strong Adelaide side alongside Walker, Jenkins and Betts, while they were at their peak.

I suspect he will start kicking more goals once we've improved as a side.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Think it's more the opposite actually. McGovern had no issues flat tracking it in a strong Adelaide side alongside Walker, Jenkins and Betts, while they were at their peak.

I suspect he will start kicking more goals once we've improved as a side.
I didn’t think he was much chop at Adelaide either. Where does he sit in your forward line? In your best 6?

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I didn’t think he was much chop at Adelaide either. Where does he sit in your forward line? In your best 6?

Kicked 30 odd goals in his first season at Adelaide, playing as the third banana. He is what he is - an inconsistent tall who will have moments of individual brilliance, but doesn't have the work rate or total skill set to ever be a dominant forward. We picked him up when he was at his peak value hoping he'd progress (and basically at the end of 2018 no other player wanted to join Carlton), and he's shaped up pretty poorly.

He's comfortably in our best 22 though, with or without Curnow.

Last edited:
I swear you were the same guy who said months ago that it's lame to attack opposition clubs or something along those lines.

Yeah same guy that got about 30 posts deleted this morning ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Yet weirdly we've actually been closer than you guys to a flag, and have a higher finish on the ladder than Essendon (and therefore been more of a premiership contender), and actually won finals ,and have played off in a Grand final more recently than you guys over the last 20 years.

sh*t, we actually played off in a prelim last decade.

Yes, for as sh*t as we've been, you've actually been worse.
All the bolded are incorrect (and Carlton haven't been a premiership contender since 2000 lol).

Carlton's last grand final was 1999. Essendon's last grand final was 2001.
Carlton's last prelim was 2000. Essendon's last prelim was 2001.

Carlton qualified for 3 finals series since 2001. Played in 4 after we got kicked out.
Essendon qualified for 9 finals series since 2001. Played in 8 after we got kicked out.

Carlton won 5 wooden spoons since 2001.
Essendon won 1 wooden spoon since 2001.

Carlton have earned more last-place finishes than the amount of finals series they qualified for. Carlton have seriously been much worse than us, though it doesn't really matter considering we've both been irrelevant for a long time. Essendon have been middling for the last 18 years. Not contending, but not rebuilding. Carlton have been trash for almost 20 years now except that 3 year period between 2009 and 2011.

Last edited:
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
All the bolded are incorrect (and Carlton haven't been a premiership contender since 2000 lol).

Carlton qualified for 3 finals series since 2001. Played in 4 after we got kicked out.
Essendon qualified for 9 finals series since 2001. Played in 8 after we got kicked out.

Carlton have earned more last-place finishes than the amount of finals series they qualified for. Carlton have seriously been much worse than us, though it doesn't really matter considering we've both been irrelevant for a long time. We've been middling for the last 18 years. Not contending, but not rebuilding. Carlton have been trash for almost 20 years now except that 3 year period between 2009 and 2011.

Come on mate, facts have no place on BigFooty

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Kicked 30 odd goals in his first season at Adelaide, playing as the third banana. He is what he is - an inconsistent tall who will have moments of individual brilliance, but doesn't have the work rate or total skill set to ever be a dominant forward. We picked him up when he was at his peak value hoping he'd progress (and basically at the end of 2018 no other player wanted to join Carlton), and he's shaped up pretty poorly.

He's comfortably in our best 22 though, with or without Curnow.
Fair enough. I see McGovern and JSoS as interchangeable as fringe best 6 forwards. Except JSOS has a better defensive mentality. Would have spent the big $$$ on another position personally.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys

Carlton have earned more last-place finishes than the amount of finals series they qualified for. Carlton have seriously been much worse than us, though it doesn't really matter considering we've both been irrelevant for a long time. Essendon have been middling for the last 18 years. Not contending, but not rebuilding. Carlton have been trash for almost 20 years now except that 3 year period between 2009 and 2011.
Why have you cherry picked the last two decades? Over the whole period of the VFL-AFL both teams have won 16 flags and Carlton finished ahead of Essendon last year. Brisbane are well in front of both teams at the moment.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Why have you cherry picked the last two decades? Over the whole period of the VFL-AFL both teams have won 16 flags and Carlton finished ahead of Essendon last year. Brisbane are well in front of both teams at the moment.
Look at the post I quoted for context. Just correcting misinformation.

Brisbane can score quickly and more easily in games against most sides, Carlton struggles to score quickly and never scores easily against anyone - it is always a grind. This underlines the difference in class between the two sides for period ending '20.

What would be giving Essendone supporters ( as evidenced in this thread a few pages back ) the itchy and scratchies is Carlton's game against Geelong down at their ridiculous home ground, that game was the first real indicator of how well Carlton can play at their best. I dont think Saad/Williams additions make Carlton a weaker side in '21.

I think Brisbane are 1-2 years ahead of Carlton - as they should be.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
What would be giving Essendone supporters ( as evidenced in this thread a few pages back ) the itchy and scratchies is Carlton's game against Geelong down at their ridiculous home ground.

Tbh I think it's more to do with their own team being rubbish and declining moreso than Carlton showing signs of improvement.

Taking one of their best players doesn't help either.

Back