Analysis The rebuild of Carlton and Brisbane and their future prospects

Which team has the better future prospects on-field?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If it’s true that he’s taking pain killers to get through games after recent surgery, there’s some serious mis-management of their star player going on.

Who knows really. Nothing would surprise at this point, and there’s plenty riding on the season.

If it turns pear-shaped again we lose Cripps, Teague gets the sack and we’re at another juncture.

Probably looking about equal at the moment, tide can turn quickly
Huh? are you saying Bris and Carlton are equal?...
Brisbane has had 1 bad loss and 1 stolen from them. This was after 2 seasons of top 2 finishes after Home and Away seasons. Carlton are just following the same season over and over. Prob best if we wait till at the very least middle of season

Carlton have this massive build up every year to focus on beating Richmond and when they lose,break down mentally and usually go on a run of losses instead of putting the negativity away and starting afresh.

Yeah, that just isn’t true

what does seem to be the case is that we are never quite ready to start the year. Every season we have a spate of injured and underdone players and look like it’s training until about round 5

If it’s true that he’s taking pain killers to get through games after recent surgery, there’s some serious mis-management of their star player going on.
I am no expert but I was told by someone who is that alot of players out there take prescribed pain relief to help them through. Some even stay on them for their career. Its obviously not great for them and is monitored heavily. But it's not uncommon for players to need pain relief often.

Huh? are you saying Bris and Carlton are equal?...
Brisbane has had 1 bad loss and 1 stolen from them. This was after 2 seasons of top 2 finishes after Home and Away seasons. Carlton are just following the same season over and over. Prob best if we wait till at the very least middle of season
Come on be real. We are both 0-2. We are on the same level.

Yeah, that just isn’t true

what does seem to be the case is that we are never quite ready to start the year. Every season we have a spate of injured and underdone players and look like it’s training until about round 5
I reckon there’s a problem with your fitness and training program. Every year I worry about my team playing a bottom team early as they have generally had 4-5 weeks head start on the pre season.

Clubs that didn’t play finals in the previous year should have some leg up over those that did in the first few weeks of the next season.

Russell was anointed as the missing link to many when he was poached. There’s luck with an injury list but there is also competent management and planning.

I’m not sure we have evidence of the latter that’s improved over the past couple of years.

I reckon there’s a problem with your fitness and training program. Every year I worry about my team playing a bottom team early as they have generally had 4-5 weeks head start on the pre season.

Clubs that didn’t play finals in the previous year should have some leg up over those that did in the first few weeks of the next season.

Russell was anointed as the missing link to many when he was poached. There’s luck with an injury list but there is also competent management and planning.

I’m not sure we have evidence of the latter that’s improved over the past couple of years.

There’s certainly a problem with our fitness and injury management, particularly pre season. You can look at the injuries over the past few years and in isolation they look accidental - Docherty’s knee, Curnow’s knee, etc. but the same patterns year after year, even the trend of players kind of missing round 1-2 but being at full speed by round 4...

it could be a number of things:
- issues with the training program and the loads it is putting on
- a tendency to draft/recruit players with an injury history or with smaller/frail bodies; particularly SOS liked to take those players cheaply, but that might be biting us (a la with Marchbank, who simply hasn’t been fit his entire career)
- I have long had a theory about the Orinces Park training surface: not an expert, but it looks softer/slower than other grounds, particularly Docklands. Not sure how it translates to injuries
- the culture of the playing group - how well do they take care of themselves in the off-season, etc

It’s probably 100 little things but year after year it ads up to an 0-4 start...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, Brisbane are a 3 goal better side after what, a 2 year head start rebuild. Very conclusive. Best to stop the thread

Yeah, use one away game where key players got injured early and still won as a complete metric of where the two sides are at.

Don’t worry about the fact that one of those sides has finished top 2 two years in a row and advanced to the prelim last year after knocking off the reigning and eventual premier in a qualifying final.

The other side... not so much.

Yeah, use one away game where key players got injured early and still won as a complete metric of where the two sides are at.

Don’t worry about the fact that one of those sides has finished top 2 two years in a row and advanced to the prelim last year after knocking off the reigning and eventual premier in a qualifying final.

The other side... not so much.
Every team has injuries. Take a look at how many best 22 didn't play in Carlton's side last week

The Dockers started their rebuild at the end of 2016.
RTB thought the list was still good but 4 wins for 2016 said otherwise.
Blues did the same in 2015 started the season with Malthouse and hope.
Ended the season with 4 wins and barker.
Freo having more quality and a better 3 years prior to start of rebuild probably takes away carltons year head start.
Which makes it a better comparison then the lions and blues moving forward I think.

Back