Analysis The Rebuild Of Essendon And North Melbourne And Their Future Prospects

Which team has the better on-field prospects?

• Essendon

Votes: 120 44.6%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 149 55.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

When is a rebuild actually complete though? Carltons rebuild is not complete. Neither is the Saints. Richmond havent stopped building either and they've won 3 of the last 4 flags.

No one knows, it’s not like there is a press conference to announce it or any actual measure for it.

I think once you believe you have a finals team and adding parts to it to try and make it a flag side, is when you have finished rebuilding.

So by my reckoning:

In contention/thinking they’re in contention: Richmond, Geelong, Brisbane, Port, St Kilda, Melbourne, West Coast, Bulldogs

Renovating/hopeful of finals: Collingwood, Carlton, Fremantle, Sydney, Gold Coast, GWS

Rebuild mode: Essendon, Hawthorn, Adelaide

Ground zero: North

The above is where each club sees themselves, though obviously some in each bracket could be proven delusional in terms of where they are at.

I had to create a different category for north.

No one knows, it’s not like there is a press conference to announce it or any actual measure for it.

I think once you believe you have a finals team and adding parts to it to try and make it a flag side, is when you have finished rebuilding.

So by my reckoning:

In contention/thinking they’re in contention: Richmond, Geelong, Brisbane, Port, St Kilda, Melbourne, West Coast, Bulldogs

Renovating/hopeful of finals: Collingwood, Carlton, Fremantle, Sydney, Gold Coast, GWS

Rebuild mode: Essendon, Hawthorn, Adelaide

Ground zero: North

The above is where each club sees themselves, though obviously some in each bracket could be proven delusional in terms of where they are at.

I had to create a different category for north.
I agree. There is no press conference announcing it and no true measure for a complete or incomplete rebuild. Apart from a flag maybe? Essendon tried to top up after a 2017 top 8 finish and push for top 4. It fell apart due to a collection of reasons. Carlton have topped up looking to push into the 8. You've described that as renovating but id say you are still rebuilding. You are still drafting and building the foundation of a successful side. Renovating to me would be a good description for Geelong. The foundation is there and they've been top 4 regularly for a few years with an older group and have topped up looking for the flag. Saints topped up to make the 8 and then topped up a little more after winning a final, probably with an eye on the top 4. They are challenging and renovating via top up. And if they miss finals they will probably do well to have a good crack at the draft this year and look for a quick bounce back Port style. So a mini renovation via draft.

This answer will change weekly with the fickle nature of AFL fans (especially on Bigfooty) and media commentators.

Essendon recorded a big win last week & North lost by 20 goals... so Essendon.

When North chalk up their first win this year (and they will) & most likely Essendon lose that same week... it will be North Melbourne.

From the month's sample we've seen so far, I am more than comfortable to be receiving only 36% of the vote on this poll. Both sides destined for the bottom 4 this year.

If you mean bottoming out by still performing well, winning matche and showing effort while putting game experience into a myriad of young prospects, then yes.
I don't think Essendon are in a comparable situation to North. Bombers could still win 10 games this year.

The end of 2019 we shot ourselves in the foot. The Daniher deal would have been amazing for us.
And i reckon we could have got a better deal for Fantasia given the heavy trading that went into Carlton's 1st in 2019 & Port's activity in that draft.
We'd have Mcdonald on the list (likely at the expense of Reid, but i'll take a gun KPF over a gun KPD any day of the week) and

Brightside:
We've had two good hits in Perkins and Cox from the 3 early picks last year.
Reid being a KPD will need more time and exposure.

Key for us now is securing Merrett and Parish long term.
And hitting more than we miss in the draft.
2x good mids (MSD & Rd1 normal draft) should be the priority.
2x forwards (FF type & a small) would be next on that list.

Gonna get a priority pick this year at the rate

Maybe middle of first round or at the very least end of first round
After deciding to simply ditch half of your list that would have made you at least competitive, you'd bloody hope not!
A decision was made, which is fair enough, you shouldn't get PP's for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North are closer to a flag than Geelong. I agree with you.

I mean, that type of line gets trotted out but it's absolute crap. Geelong, who were four goals up at half time in last year's grand final, are up to their eye balls in it this year.

In five years time, North maybe be in a better position but right now, Geelong is so very clearly closer to a flag.

Are the Bombers still bottoming out?

I daresay this year is the bottoming out year.

It's the best of both worlds really, we're giving our young talent ample opportunity and they are the ones delivering the odd win as opposed to our veterans (not that we have too many).

We'll probably have a 5-6 win season, followed by an 7-10 win season the following year before starting to really slingshot up back in the finals race in 2023 - assuming our young talent develops as anticipated.

North has no prospects. The hearse is outside and a quiet burial is anticipated.

Essendon has prospects. Truck is doing a fair job and they have a couple of terrific kids to add to Ridley, McGrath, Parish and co.

North has no prospects. The hearse is outside and a quiet burial is anticipated.

Essendon has prospects. Truck is doing a fair job and they have a couple of terrific kids to add to Ridley, McGrath, Parish and co.

Nah, North's players are the best.

I’d definitely look at cleaning house this year. If Merrett goes I’d also look at seeing what we can get for Parish, Shiel, Smith etc.
Load up on picks for the next couple of drafts and see what happens. Oh and none of that can happen whilst the Dodo is still there
Would he still be on the table?

Would he still be on the table?
My issue with not keep Parish & Merrett is we'd be trying to replace them the second they leave.
Both are perfect ages to lead the rebuild. Merrett is only 25. Parish 23. Losing one or both takes us back rather than forward in a rebuild. No guarantee the picks will pan out. And with the opportunities in the MSD and our 1st pick this year, we should be able to land a couple of good sized mids to add to our group.

Merrett, Shiel, Parish, McGrath, Perkins, Cox, Caldwell + 2x kids added this year.
And Ham is looking alright to add to that group too.

Bombers losing Daniher is a blessing.
Can start from scratch.
Looking good with Caldwell, Cox, Jones, Perkins and Draper.
shame we didn't take the 2019 offer of F1 + 9.
9 ended up being quite sought after with the live trading.

Kemp + Robertson + McDonald = tidy return.
And we lose access to Reid as a result.
Add two big mids to our group.
McDonald + Jones + Wright as a forward group.

Back