Analysis The Rebuild Of Essendon And North Melbourne And Their Future Prospects

Which team has the better on-field prospects?

• Essendon

Votes: 120 44.6%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 149 55.4%

• Total voters

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Relocation, let's talk about relocation. We benefit weather we stay or move (if it's tasmania). We stay, we are part of the 7 billion arden precint development that's going to improve our club due to the geography. To those who want to nitpick about suburb has nothing to do with club, * you. Not only * you but im also laughing at you plebs that are not part of the package.

If relocate, we get the whole of tasmania and make it our backyard and fortress. We get our own game stadium plus still get to keep the arden street as a club vic office. And yes, the 7 billion arden precint is still happening and we are still part of that. So essentially, relocation means we now have 7 club venues.

Eat your heart for those plebs. Winner either way. Getting noble is the final component of the puzzle.

Oh yeah, biatch.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Essendon are rebuilding.

At the recent draft it is hoped that it has drafted its goal to goal line for the next 10 years.

It’s expecting a low ladder position this year and plans to draft possibly the best midfielder in the draft. This added to Caldwell as recent high caliber midfielder talent.

Its list already has a reasonably deep core of quality youth in place in addition to last / this years draft and trading hand: McGrath, Ridley, Langford, Redman, Jones, Draper and Parish.

Informed Essendon people know 2021 will be challenging from a results perspective. That’s why it didn’t trade its 1st round pick in the upcoming draft for Dunkley.

By end if 2021 it should be reasonably set, with future drafts and trading to fill gaps.
Do you think fans understand Essendons current position and appreciate patience is needed?

Apr 22, 2009
In My House :)
AFL Club
Richmond
I can't get a gauge on Essendon in terms where they think they are at. Worsfold would say they aren't far off and then something that would contradict that the following week. Happened time and time again.
Do they think they can push for a flag with their current list? Or do they need a complete rebuild? They have a lot of older players that aren't good enough to carry the younger players. Don't have a strong fwd line and an aging backline with their best rebounding back now gone....Not a strong midfield.

North have recognised they need to completely rebuild the list and it's going to take a few years. Going Brisbane model by getting Noble who has been involved in rebuilding Brisbane with Fagan. Essendon seem to be stuck between pushing for finals and a flag, or going for a rebuild.

North for me to push for a flag before Essendon unless Essendon commit to one or the other.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why must North supporters constantly bring relocation into the discussion?

we don't bring it up, ignorant plebs do, now we simply get on the front foot and delve deeper and expect the plebs to meet up at half way mark, meanings going past the mere mudslinging and actually talk properly. This will probablly get rid off 90%+ of the candidates.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
I can't get a gauge on Essendon in terms where they think they are at. Worsfold would say they aren't far off and then something that would contradict that the following week. Happened time and time again.
Do they think they can push for a flag with their current list? Or do they need a complete rebuild? They have a lot of older players that aren't good enough to carry the younger players. Don't have a strong fwd line and an aging backline with their best rebounding back now gone....Not a strong midfield.

North have recognised they need to completely rebuild the list and it's going to take a few years. Going Brisbane model by getting Noble who has been involved in rebuilding Brisbane with Fagan. Essendon seem to be stuck between pushing for finals and a flag, or going for a rebuild.

North for me to push for a flag before Essendon unless Essendon commit to one or the other.

Luckily Worsfold for you John Worsfold isn’t at the helm anymore and we took 5 young draftees for the first time in what seems forever.

Build the bookends in a kp friendly draft and target mids and small in the next two drafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
we don't bring it up, ignorant plebs do, now we simply get on the front foot and delve deeper and expect the plebs to meet up at half way mark, meanings going past the mere mudslinging and actually talk properly. This will probablly get rid off 90%+ of the candidates.

As an Essendon supporter, we have to deal with Carlton supporters and there ‘mudslinging’ at the moment. Can fully respect trying to have a reasonable discussion on the main boards and not getting one, it gets tough man.

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.
Essendon seem to be stuck between pushing for finals and a flag, or going for a rebuild.

Essendon taking 3 picks in the top 10 is an indication that they finally might be heading for a rebuild. They definitely had the currency to top up this year and decided against it.

If that's the case then it will be another 2 - 3 years of taking teenagers while they let the older guys go.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Screenshot_20210125-200700~2.png

10 talls under 25yo.

Only need five of them need to be good. 2 are already good

So if 3/8 are good then Essendon are good

I like those odds.

For North it is Xerri, Larkey and then maybe Comben and maybe McKay.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2009
In My House :)
AFL Club
Richmond
Luckily Worsfold for you John Worsfold isn’t at the helm anymore and we took 5 young draftees for the first time in what seems forever.

Build the bookends in a kp friendly draft and target mids and small in the next two drafts.

But he was the last mouthpiece from the club. Rutten has been silent since he got there. I haven't heard anything since Dan Richardson (who was fired a few days after this) said: Essendon will use the likely departures of Adam Saad and Joe Daniher as an opportunity to "rejuvenate" its list ahead of the 2021 season.

What does that mean? Does that mean just plugging a few holes in hopes of a flag tilt? Does it mean a rebuild?

The last thing I've heard from the club was Heppell saying they don't need to change the gameplan that much. Does that mean they think are good enough? I don't know.

We know where North are at. They have been fully transparent in where they are at and everyone knows they are in a rebuild.

As I said, I can't gauge where Essendon are at because they have not been clear in where they think they are at.

Exactly what I thought when this thread came up.

Essendon are a big unknown for me atm as well as Hawthorn this season. They just seem like a very inconsistent team that could make the Top 8 one year but you wouldn't be surprised to finish in the bottom 4 the following year.

North Melbourne understand they are in a hole atm on-field wise and as much as I hated Noble leaving Brisbane for the coaching job over there, I have now come to peace with the decision he has chosen and know that Noble will do a very good job at North to help rebuild the performance of the club and I wouldn't be surprised if they were contending for finals in the next 3-4 years so please North Melbourne supporters, take care of him :sweatsmile:

So if you wanted an answer from which team has the better on-field prospects out of Essendon or North Melbourne, I think Essendon currently will perform better with their prospects in the short term (1-2 years) but don't be shocked to see North Melbourne perform much better in the long term then Essendon will (4-5 years).

Plus just a side-note but I agree in what other people have said in regards to it should be Essendon or Hawthorn and North Melbourne or Adelaide for who will have better prospects cause both are around the same mark for on-field performance at this current season.

Recent reports have Heppel describing criticism of Essendon as 'laughable' and couldnt be happier where they are at.

I for one believe him and see Essendon having a big tilt this season, possibly top 4.

Did you mean the bottom 4 by any chance! :tearsofjoy:

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
North will definitely be a head in the rebuild stakes in terms of progress on the field in next couple years.

Reckon the aim for Essendon is to tank hard next couple years and load up on draft picks (dodo pulling the strings for the board/coterie group)but then sneakily talk tough on the club not improving enough so they can scape goat rutten and bring hird back into the fold.
The club (especially with sheedy back calling the shots) will stop at nothing to have the golden boy redeemed.
“ the Essendon people just can’t help themselves “

View attachment 1045806

10 talls under 25yo.

Only need five of them need to be good. 2 are already good

So if 3/8 are good then Essendon are good

I like those odds.

For North it is Xerii Larkey and then maybe Coomben and maybe McKay.
We also have Corr who is only 26 and he will be around for the next 6-7 years to partner mckay down back. So we are sorted down back

up forward Larkey and a big show of faith in Comben. But there’s a chance we run the 1 tall forward model and surround him with smaller mobile forwards like Zurhaar, Curtis Taylor and stevo

the club believes the pieces are already there

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Recent reports have Heppel describing criticism of Essendon as 'laughable' and couldnt be happier where they are at.

I for one believe him and see Essendon having a big tilt this season, possibly top 4.
The problem with Heppell is there is no problem.

Seems like an ok guy. Ok player.

But just ok. Very ordinary. Does the basics well. I think even knows this which is why he got the dreads. But he's very vanilla.

Seems pretty obvious that McGrath will be the next captain sooner rather than later.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
We also have Corr who is only 26 and he will be around for the next 6-7 years to partner mckay down back. So we are sorted down back

up forward Larkey and a big show of faith in Comben. But there’s a chance we run the 1 tall forward model and surround him with smaller mobile forwards like Zurhaar, Curtis Taylor and stevo

the club believes the pieces are already there
Corr is a terrific pick up. Exactly what you need.
I like Larkey and Comben but both still very young.

McKay has only played 15 games so jury still out on him. He's hardly a lock yet.

But if things go perfect then you might have McKay/Corr down back and Comben/Larkey fwd.

No room for error.

I suspect you will go for another tall KPP with ur first pick in the 2021 draft.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
But he was the last mouthpiece from the club. Rutten has been silent since he got there. I haven't heard anything since Dan Richardson (who was fired a few days after this) said: Essendon will use the likely departures of Adam Saad and Joe Daniher as an opportunity to "rejuvenate" its list ahead of the 2021 season.

What does that mean? Does that mean just plugging a few holes in hopes of a flag tilt? Does it mean a rebuild?

The last thing I've heard from the club was Heppell saying they don't need to change the gameplan that much. Does that mean they think are good enough? I don't know.

We know where North are at. They have been fully transparent in where they are at and everyone knows they are in a rebuild.

As I said, I can't gauge where Essendon are at because they have not been clear in where they think they are at.
I think Essendon have shown their hand.
They didn't trade out any draft picks and used all three top ten picks on kids.

Imo this is a clear admission of being in rebuild mode and they have gone very tall knowing they have to replace Daniher, Hooker and Hurley.

Back