Opinion The Rebuild Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

How you can say the club is in terrible shape off field, on the basis of losing 4 games on the field, is beyond me. Where were all these suggestions 7 months ago after we beat Richmond in the EF.

It is funny how a poor start to the season onfield, suddenly turns the whole club into being a mess. Is Sydney in terrible shape off field, because they have lost 3 of their first 4 games? How about Richmond, whose only wins so far have been against the current bottom 2 & they have struggled in both games? Are they a mess off field? Adelaide? Lost their first 3 games? Are they in terrible shape off field?

You clearly are giving a flying **** about what the media are saying, because they are jumping at shadows to try & stir up an off field crisis, when the reality is quite different. You wouldn't even know what was happening off field at the club if the media weren't stirring this up.

BTW, just remember with Swann he was offered a 4 year deal to move to St Kilda, a guaranteed tenure he doesn't have at Carlton, where he is on year to year deals. Please tell me, what is it he is saving himself from?

Yup.

Tummies up.

People need to get their heads around the difference between their reactionary, emotional response to the losses, and a calm rational assessment of where things are at in a broader context, especially considering last years performance.

The simple reality is this - throwing your arms in the air and pointing fingers at anyone - AND EVERYONE - is absolutely the wrong thing to do.
We are rebuilding and have been for three years. We are almost there and the last four weeks have shown us we are not quite there when we thought we were.

That - is - all.

It's like walking four fifths of the way to the pub, realising your shoe lace is undone and then walking all the way home again to do it up instead of just taking a moment to deal with it. It's absolute madness.

Here is the situation - AGAIN.

• Yes we are getting a new Pres - were anyway.
  • We have already identified recruitment and development (and injury management and fitness issues) and all are being dealt with.
  • Game plan may need some tinkering - will see come Sunday.
  • Need some key position players - being addressed and will be resolved come seasons end.
  • We have a list bristling with talent, lots of speed and a great spread of age. We need some players to step up more consistently and need to find our mental edge.
That's it. Don't need to sack the board. Don't need to trade every player (yes Aphrodite, that was sarcasm). No need to sack every coach. No need to sack all the admin, footy staff, etc. No need to fire the girls in merchandise down at Princes.

We need to make a few small adjustments, pick up a couple of kpp, and get our heads straight and we can tilt at the top.

How you can say the club is in terrible shape off field, on the basis of losing 4 games on the field, is beyond me. Where were all these suggestions 7 months ago after we beat Richmond in the EF.

It is funny how a poor start to the season onfield, suddenly turns the whole club into being a mess. Is Sydney in terrible shape off field, because they have lost 3 of their first 4 games? How about Richmond, whose only wins so far have been against the current bottom 2 & they have struggled in both games? Are they a mess off field? Adelaide? Lost their first 3 games? Are they in terrible shape off field?

You clearly are giving a flying **** about what the media are saying, because they are jumping at shadows to try & stir up an off field crisis, when the reality is quite different. You wouldn't even know what was happening off field at the club if the media weren't stirring this up.

BTW, just remember with Swann he was offered a 4 year deal to move to St Kilda, a guaranteed tenure he doesn't have at Carlton, where he is on year to year deals. Please tell me, what is it he is saving himself from?

2013 was a mediocre season at best MRS. Our membership numbers are poor for a club with our level of support, our recent development of players has been poor, we have three players in Boots, Watson and Lucas who aren't best 22 who were picked with our first rounder and the club looks set for a decent rebuild unless the players start to lift and get something worth while out of this season.

I would say that we are miles off Melbourne but we are certainly underachieving on-field and off-field. I'd like to see a professional Carlton that demands respect from it's peers again. Sydney messed up by ruining a winning formula by bringing in two players who have huge tickets on themselves and have no love for the Swans. Since Tippett came in the team has really lost it's hunger for the contest.

The Blues have miles to go.

We have a very good CHB when fit and played in position. A good FB when not injured. No decent CHF. A half decent FF half of the time who is near retirement anyway. No decent ruck/follower that can stay on the field. A midfield that is courageous but not tough. A myriad of flankers that float in and out and many would struggle to get a game in a top team. We have a bunch of kids showing signs that some will make it and many won't.

On top of all those observations is the fact that far too many lack awareness, lack quick accurate hands and feet, and make too many poor on field decisions. Mix all that with lack of voice, poor talking, low enthusiasm on the field plus lack of natural leadership and what do we have? Umm........ downward spiral.

Now........ where is that panic button gone?

But...... where there is life there is hope. For every loss means one week closer to that win. A week is a long time in footy and a season is an eternity.......... and there is always next year. Go Blues!

Like I have said... we need to get back to basics first... instead of having all the running drills that the guys seem to do... get back to basic skills drills.

instead of having 20-30 kicks at goal... set up spots where you are expected, as a KPF, to lead to... different distances, angles and the like and have 10 shots at goal... every miss... do a 20m back and forth sprint... have another shot.

You could even work that into a training exercise of running leads and marking. Our forward line is too static in terms of movement from the big fella's. They have a tendency of running at the guy who has the ball which does tend to make it easy for one of the opposition defenders to chop us out or lets their opponent work them under the ball. Waite has a good technique for marking on the lead and if he is one on one he will mark it 9/10 times.

If we start getting the basics drilled into the guys... they will start doing things right.

Yup.

Tummies up.

People need to get their heads around the difference between their reactionary, emotional response to the losses, and a calm rational assessment of where things are at in a broader context, especially considering last years performance.

The simple reality is this - throwing your arms in the air and pointing fingers at anyone - AND EVERYONE - is absolutely the wrong thing to do.
We are rebuilding and have been for three years. We are almost there and the last four weeks have shown us we are not quite there when we thought we were.

That - is - all.

It's like walking four fifths of the way to the pub, realising your shoe lace is undone and then walking all the way home again to do it up instead of just taking a moment to deal with it. It's absolute madness.

Here is the situation - AGAIN.

• Yes we are getting a new Pres - were anyway.
  • We have already identified recruitment and development (and injury management and fitness issues) and all are being dealt with.
  • Game plan may need some tinkering - will see come Sunday.
  • Need some key position players - being addressed and will be resolved come seasons end.
  • We have a list bristling with talent, lots of speed and a great spread of age. We need some players to step up more consistently and need to find our mental edge.
That's it. Don't need to sack the board. Don't need to trade every player (yes Aphrodite, that was sarcasm). No need to sack every coach. No need to sack all the admin, footy staff, etc. No need to fire the girls in merchandise down at Princes.

We need to make a few small adjustments, pick up a couple of kpp, and get our heads straight and we can tilt at the top.
Who are you? where have you come from? please stay awhile, there's coffee on the stove and A-Chick made some cake...

Like I have said... we need to get back to basics first... instead of having all the running drills that the guys seem to do... get back to basic skills drills.

instead of having 20-30 kicks at goal... set up spots where you are expected, as a KPF, to lead to... different distances, angles and the like and have 10 shots at goal... every miss... do a 20m back and forth sprint... have another shot.

You could even work that into a training exercise of running leads and marking. Our forward line is too static in terms of movement from the big fella's. They have a tendency of running at the guy who has the ball which does tend to make it easy for one of the opposition defenders to chop us out or lets their opponent work them under the ball. Waite has a good technique for marking on the lead and if he is one on one he will mark it 9/10 times.

If we start getting the basics drilled into the guys... they will start doing things right.

agree. have been saying this for years.

I believe you said it in this post .........

Aphrodite ,

I said "the club is in terrible shape both on and off the field ... to deny this is just plain wrong !!"

Nowhere did i say the club is in terrible shape off the field on the basis of a 0-4 start to the season .

Mediumsizered said that .

FACT .

We are #UNITED lol nothing can stop us now what we are #united as may present some issues, But apparently tweeting a bleating message will turn us around ...

Where did i say the club is in terrible shape off the field on the basis of a 0-4 start to the season ??
YOU said that !!

Just for starters though :

* Board stacked with factional puppets
* Stagnant membership way below acceptable level
* Failed drafting (2013 effort still to be seen)
* Failed development
* No blockbuster games
* Poor interaction with members/supporters
etc etc etc ...

Board - nos will be reduced shortly. The Mathieson & Pratt's contribute huge amounts of money so its fair the are represented.

Stagnant Membership - would not be too worried abt headline nos. Collingwood & Richmond give them away with merchandise purchases. Allegedly we had 15k less members than Richmond but actually made $1m more in profit. We are still no. 2 in AFL membership, 3rd or 4th in social media so our underlying support is still strong. Maybe we do not fudge our nos as well as others

Failed drafting - agree until the last couple of years. Menzel, Cripps, Buckley are all looking ok.

Failed development - players or facilities ? Off the field the club has spent 10's millions developing training facilities at the same time of reducing debt. Drafting has improved the last couple of years and we do not lack for facilities. Will take time to assess player development.

No blockbuster games - ? , we play collingwood & essendon twice every year plus richmond in the opening mcg game. But agree we do not have a "public holiday" game. Looks like this could change next season.

Poor interaction - I get plenty of info through social media and email. How much do you want ?

Dr. Amoth?
Thats what they said in the press release from the club when they did it after he arrived at the club...

They said that he had bone spurs on his hips and were going to have a procedure to shave the excess bone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This.

He resigned prior to the national draft as well - alarming.

He was not poached, however, Richmond took him on after he left us.

Williams spent 14 at the cats. He was involved in building a list that has seen 3 flags and countless top 4 finishes since 2007.
The man helped build one of the great modern football dynasties.

Williams must have been truly appalled by the workings in our recruitment department to leave on the eve of the draft.

Would love to know the specifics as to why he left.

It would help our club if he could come out and name and shame people within our club - a man with a 14 year talent manager tenure at the cats on his CV can't be wrong.
your obviously either Williams or a mate of his Swann told me that he left due to a nervous breakdown and poor work ethic and was about to be given the sack, so jumped before he was pushed. Amazing how different stories come out about this fellow.

Thats what they said in the press release from the club when they did it after he arrived at the club...

They said that he had bone spurs on his hips and were going to have a procedure to shave the excess bone.
Shaving is just another way to cut bone or hair.

You wouldn't even know if our medicos have a good rep with their handling of surgery and rehab.

Shaving is just another way to cut bone or hair.

You wouldn't even know if our medicos have a good rep with their handling of surgery and rehab.
Yup... you got me... I dont know s**t about the medico's but considering the number of players over the last few years that have had their recovery/rehab screwed up... you wouldnt have a lot of faith in them really...

And so... I give you a good clap...

As for shaving bone spurs... I would suggest that they did something like this (hip arthroscopy) on Kreuzer. Cutting the bone spurs would suggest rather more dramatic and invasive surgery than just an arthroscope.

The Stkilda performance last night shows just how quickly it can be turned around when you have 22 players buy into the coaches game plan, unfortunately I don't think our players have ever fully bought into Micks plan.

The Stkilda performance last night shows just how quickly it can be turned around when you have 22 players buy into the coaches game plan, unfortunately I don't think our players have ever fully bought into Micks plan.
I think if we had Roo on our half-forward/forward line the our coach's game plan would have more chance of working...

Tonight it became very clear that Hendersen is very close to being an A grade forward, and the thought that he should be played back must end right now.

We must remember however that Footscray played with a midget fwd line, and we have shown time and time again to struggle against a fwd line with 2 big fwds. So for me the key to us long term is to get a good key defender so that it allows lachie to play fwd.

Tonight it became very clear that Hendersen is very close to being an A grade forward, and the thought that he should be played back must end right now.

We must remember however that Footscray played with a midget fwd line, and we have shown time and time again to struggle against a fwd line with 2 big fwds. So for me the key to us long term is to get a good key defender so that it allows lachie to play fwd.

My sentiments exactly.

West Coast and the Pies have some very tall timber up forward and a backline of White and Rowe (as much as I think we should persist with Rowe) will not be enough to stop them.

And I don't think we can kick a winning score unless both Hendo and Waite play forward. Even if they don't necessarily kick 8 between them each week, their class will allow others to score.

We can't get too carried away with this win, we're only setting ourselves up for disappointment again in the coming weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My sentiments exactly.

West Coast and the Pies have some very tall timber up forward and a backline of White and Rowe (as much as I think we should persist with Rowe) will not be enough to stop them.

And I don't think we can kick a winning score unless both Hendo and Waite play forward. Even if they don't necessarily kick 8 between them each week, their class will allow others to score.

We can't get too carried away with this win, we're only setting ourselves up for disappointment again in the coming weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just shake my head sometimes fair dinkum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back