The Rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Experience in the back line is something that might be an issue next year.
Johnson has been pretty good this year after the first 2 rounds but with age, injury concerns and a (hopefully) fit Alex Pearce I'm not sure if he should be going another year.
Spurr is getting beaten 1v1 more often, his ball use is often a liability and we have a load of youth coming in that seem offer more. There is no doubt he's been important in leading the new crew down back this year but I don't think we can afford to have him, at least as an undroppable leadership group member.
So the question is can Hamling (38) and Weller (40 but the first 22 were in attack) be our most experienced defenders? I really hope so

Both MJ and Spurr will play next season. If they don't it will be fine anyway. 40-50 games is enough.
Johnson has been pretty good this year after the first 2 rounds but with age, injury concerns and a (hopefully) fit Alex Pearce I'm not sure if he should be going another year.
Spurr is getting beaten 1v1 more often, his ball use is often a liability and we have a load of youth coming in that seem offer more. There is no doubt he's been important in leading the new crew down back this year but I don't think we can afford to have him, at least as an undroppable leadership group member.
So the question is can Hamling (38) and Weller (40 but the first 22 were in attack) be our most experienced defenders? I really hope so

Some of those players aren't going to make the cut though. Deluca doesn't look overly neat by foot, Hughes and Grey appear serviceable but not stars, Nyhuis is a 1 game rookie pick etc.

Best to look at the talent coming through objectively.
Everybody loves the new pup and it's pretty exciting. When the pup grows abit we lose interest.

I agree, I don't see a lot of stars in the new crop but solid footballers.

Still it's fun to see the pups.

Some of those players aren't going to make the cut though. Deluca doesn't look overly neat by foot, Hughes and Grey appear serviceable but not stars, Nyhuis is a 1 game rookie pick etc.

Best to look at the talent coming through objectively.

Definitely. Odds are a fair few of them won't make it or will become depth at best.

At the same time though, it's really encouraging to see pretty much everyone come into the team and contribute in some meaningful way. So far at least, there haven't been any Josh Head scenarios.

This rebuild I agree with what fyfe said

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2017-07-09/fyfe-finding-his-touch

I think it’s a credit to our coaching setup and the way our mindsets are, that anyone is replaceable in our team and anyone from the 43 on our list can come in to play a role.

This is exactly how it bloody well should be. Not a best 25-30 with a few developing kids and a handful of back-up 'use in case of emergency' type players. IMHO if you're good enough to be drafted you're good enough to play a role. I accept kids need to develop bulk and stamina, but the coaching staff should be actively prepared to use the entire list. I get the impression the 2017 Dockers think this way, but it wasn't always the case.

Definitely. Odds are a fair few of them won't make it or will become depth at best.

At the same time though, it's really encouraging to see pretty much everyone come into the team and contribute in some meaningful way. So far at least, there haven't been any Josh Head scenarios.
I would have agreed with you (about our defence looking vulnerable next year) three weeks ago, but I think the rebuild of our defence has come on in leaps and bounds in the games after the bye. Blakely is already one of the better half backs in the competition when he has played there. Connor and Weller could definitely rotate off half back to provide class and ball winning ability to the defence, while still spending time in the midfield as well. Hughes suddenly looks like he belongs. Logue looks highly capable of holding his man and his decision making should improve the more experience he gets. Nyhuis dominated WAFl before making his debut and he has already shown the ability to close down more experienced star WAFL players. Alex Pearce should be back next year as well. Ryan certainly looks a player and his kicking is outstanding.
In my view our backline in 2018 even without Spurr and Johnson looks pretty good. Although obviously very inexperienced.
B: Nyhuis Hamling Logue
HB: Ryan A.Pearce Blakely/Weller (playing 50/50 mid/def roles)
I/C Hughes,

Depth: Duman looking a pretty a decent player. Crozier, Tucker, Collins are options to play in defence. Using a late pick on a highly rated athletic mature age (22+) key position player dominating at state league level would be a good idea though considering it is highly likely Johno and Dawson will retire at the end of the year. Our key back position depth gets shallow quickly if either Hamling or Alex Pearce have any injuries 2018 and a key defender is not added through draft or trade.
If we need experience to instruct players Mundy or S.Hill could be moved back at times.

Last edited:
I still remember the 2004-5 seasons when we narrowly missed out on finals on both years due to having an inexperienced and undersized back line.

If Johnson and Dawson both leave this season, That means Hamling is our most experienced tall defender. And Alex Plearce and Sam Collins have played under 25 games each. Griffen Logue plays as a 3rd tall then. With Ibbo and Spurr eventually gone, we have various options on the back flanks

Not sure if mentioned but Liam Ryan had a beep of 10 last year which is why he didn't get drafted. Port Brissie and us were interested.

This is exactly how it bloody well should be. Not a best 25-30 with a few developing kids and a handful of back-up 'use in case of emergency' type players. IMHO if you're good enough to be drafted you're good enough to play a role. I accept kids need to develop bulk and stamina, but the coaching staff should be actively prepared to use the entire list. I get the impression the 2017 Dockers think this way, but it wasn't always the case.
I Still remember here back In 2014-5, people on her complained about Ross Lyon Not playing enough youth.

I said many times before. Looking back in 2015, People complain why the likes of Suban, Clancee pearce Matt De Boer got games over the likes of Weller, Langdon and Blakely. Suban, Clancee Pearce and Matt De Boer were spuds but their only redeeming value was endurance or the Ability to play four quarters of footy. Not suprising as all 3 were from 2008 draft so tat meant they had 6-7 years of development and training under the belt.

Put it this way, I am enjoying this rebuild this year more than the 2007-9 years and that Says a lot considering we got Stephen Hill, Ballantyne, Suban, Clarke and Walters in 2008

Pretty much this...but all good premiership teams require 'depth' so if some these now 'promising young players become nothing more than depth but at least make the grade there , I think it's still a very good result for the club. ..considering quite a few of them, certainly the ones mentioned previously, were mostly late picks/rookies

Not sure if mentioned but Liam Ryan had a beep of 10 last year which is why he didn't get drafted. Port Brissie and us were interested.

Would be a pretty handy pickup I think. Perfect Ballantyne replacement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both MJ and Spurr will play next season. If they don't it will be fine anyway. 40-50 games is enough.
In regards to MJ , I really hope not....
I think he's 'literally' on his last legs.... (just take a close look at him in games,the North ones a prime example theres numerous moments where he appears to be labouring in some of his movements, that double tackle/chase excluded;)
The defence/teams got to learn to cope without him at some point so it may aswell be sooner rather than later.
Plus you ll never know who might step up in his absence.
With spurr out on the wknd the backline was fine, in fact its most fluid ive seen for a while ..so it proves players/teams adapt

I think we're getting so many games into Logue because the club sees him as Johnno's replacement and Johnno is planning on retiring this year.

Johnno's press conference earlier this year sounded contrary to that view. I think he wants to play on, but he may not get the chance.
I hope he retire , same age as Luke Hodge.

Johnno's press conference earlier this year sounded contrary to that view. I think he wants to play on, but he may not get the chance.
Yeah have to admit , its the impression I got from MJ but like you said I dont think the club will give him that chance, which I also think MJ is quite aware of.

As said in a previous post ...the logical replacement is logue....and tho physically he certainly has MJ covered bar the height, he has a shitload less football smarts hence I think(hope) the club continue to pump as much afl game time into as possible, within reason of course ie there will be times when his form/nature of deficiency requires time at peel

Yeah have to admit , its the impression I got from MJ but like you said I dont think the club will give him that chance, which I also think MJ is quite aware of.

As said in a previous post ...the logical replacement is logue....and tho physically he certainly has MJ covered bar the height, he has a shitload less football smarts hence I think(hope) the club continue to pump as much afl game time into as possible, within reason of course ie there will be times when his form/nature of deficiency requires time at peel
Yeah agree with this. I think the role will change when Logue does it. He obviously is probably never going to be the distributor that Johnno is/was, but certainly has him covered athletically (bar sidestep). Think Griff will be encouraged to run off and kick long. The kicking out of defence will be Ryan and Weller/HBF.

Would be a pretty handy pickup I think. Perfect Ballantyne replacement.
It's a strange one. I think cameron rayner had a beep of 11 last year and they think he will go in the top 5 this year. Pretty sure Freo overlooked Membury for the same reason. Looks wrong now.

It's a strange one. I think cameron rayner had a beep of 11 last year and they think he will go in the top 5 this year. Pretty sure Freo overlooked Membury for the same reason. Looks wrong now.

You'd think that of any potential issue with a draftee, fitness would be the easiest one to fix. I guess the thinking is that a low beep test can often indicate someone who isn't willing to put in the hard work.

I would have agreed with you (about our defence looking vulnerable next year) three weeks ago

Well I don't recall saying that but I agree with your post!

Just think we need to be cautious about considering the likes of Deluca and Nyhuis as locks for the future 22-25. Ditto with our chronic sick notes Pearce and Apeness.

A fair few of us thought Justin Bollenhagen would turn out to be a steal after his debut, so things can change quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back