The Rebuild

Kalidakope

Team Captain
May 6, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
With Grundy Moore and De Goey slotting into the 25 to 27 year age bracket I don't think we can afford a full rebuild, they'd be vets by then

Traditionally we've taken 7 years to get back to serious contention: 2002/2003 - 2010/2011 - 2018/2019

2026/2027 is too far away for our real stars so we have to find a way to speed it up and target 2023/2024

We need more quality in the 22 to 26 year range if we are going to fast track the rebuild, so they are going to have to get creative and start trading/recruiting aggressively (Isn't that what got us into trouble in the first place?)

Elliott
Mihocek

Grundy
Adams
Crisp

Cameron

Moore
De Goey

Noble
Maynard

Sier
C Brown
Wilson

J Daicos

Quaynor
T Brown
Murphy
Tohill
Keane
Kelly

McCreery
Rantall
Bianco

Macrea
Ruscoe
Chugg
Henry
McMahon

Poulter
McInnes
Ginnivan

17*
N Daicos
Y Dib
L Kelvie
D Thomas
N Moyle

I like the romance of getting players like Weideman Merrett Richards to the club but more importantly they are the right age to fill that list hole

Last edited:

Good_Old

Cancelled
10k Posts Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
May 27, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
so they are going to have to get creative and start trading/recruiting aggressively (Isn't that what got us into trouble in the first place?)

Who are we trading out? What picks are we likely to get for those players? and who should we target?

Kalidakope

Team Captain
May 6, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Who are we trading out? What picks are we likely to get for those players? and who should we target?
I'm not sure, and good luck predicting what our list management are gonna do anyway, but if you don't fill that hole you risk Grundy Adams Crisp De Goey Moore and Maynard being too old when the kids are finally ready

Kalidakope

Team Captain
May 6, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
no time for romance

I agree with your overall perspective though
Honestly they've stuffed this up, our 2 best players are in their prime right now, not in 3 or 4 years

If they had just kept going to the draft instead of constantly topping up to get that flag we probably would have got the flag and been well into this rebuild... you can't win it with a bunch of kids and vets! they manufactured this hole chasing the dragons tail

With Grundy Moore and De Goey slotting into the 25 to 27 year age bracket I don't think we can afford a full rebuild, they'd be vets by then

Traditionally we've taken 7 to 8 years to get back to serious contention: 2001/2002 - 2010/2011 - 2018/2019

2026/2027 is too far away for our real stars so we have to find a way to speed it up and target 2024/2025

We need more quality in the 22 to 26 year range if we are going to fast track the rebuild, so they are going to have to get creative and start trading/recruiting aggressively (Isn't that what got us into trouble in the first place?)

Elliott
Mihocek

Grundy
Adams
Crisp

Cameron

Moore
De Goey

Noble
Maynard

Sier
C Brown
Wilson

J Daicos

Quaynor
T Brown
Murphy
Tohill
Keane
Kelly

McCreery
Rantall
Bianco

Macrea
Ruscoe
Chugg
Henry
McMahon

Poulter
McInnes
Ginnivan

17*
N Daicos
Y Dib
L Kelvie
D Thomas
N Moyle

I like the romance of getting players like Weideman Merrett Richards to the club but more importantly they are the right age to fill that list hole
I think we're capable of a interim spike like '07, which was a transition between '02/'03 and '10-'12. In '07 veterans like Buckley, Clement, Burns and Rocca combined with youth (Pendlebury, Shaw, Cloke, Thomas, Lumumba) who'd become the core of '10-'12. That moves it from 7-8 years to 3-5 years, which potentially shifts some of our current veterans into frame. I wouldn't like to see us get any younger and would target the 25 to 27 age group you've identified via free agency to try and ensure that window is closer to 2-3 years than 5 years.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mid season draft... get the two best key position players available.
End of year; all our points will get burnt up on Daicos and Dib (that kid is also good). We just need to be patient and wait for all our mids to come good: ie Macrae, McInness, Rantall, Poulter, Bianco, Chugg, Sier, Daicoses, Browns etc..

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
With our cap and list position, which I suspect the former is really bad, I imagine we'd have to go lucky dip on the 2nd tier leagues and try and find a diamond in the rough.

May also have to look at the prospects of a Weid or similar (Cameron wc - good small forward) that can't get games currently at other clubs.

FA's are almost off the table as we probably can't afford them and they won't trust the club anyways.

However I also imagine the club will be extra risk averse because of the foot injury from the gun that shot it.

I think the age profile hole is probably too big to fill. We just need to find the best available young talent and prepare them. If that means trading out our talent who may not be around for our next tilt, I’m willing to consider it.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think the age profile hole is probably too big to fill. We just need to find the best available young talent and prepare them. If that means trading out our talent who may not be around for our next tilt, I’m willing to consider it.

The age profile will naturally become a non-issue by 2023 when our 2020 recruits are entering their third season. All our eggs are in this basket. If this promising group of kids come on, then the list is is good shape and all we need to do is top up a few players. If not.. then its a long difficult time at the bottom

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
The age profile will naturally become a non-issue by 2023 when our 2020 recruits are entering their third season. All our eggs are in this basket. If this promising group of kids come on, then the list is is good shape and all we need to do is top up a few players. If not.. then its a long difficult time at the bottom

Age profile only becomes relevant if your developing youth take time. Generally works that by the time they’re pushing that 23 or 24 they’ve clocked up 50+ games so at a minimum can assume a role. If the come on like Quaynor then that negates the concerns.

Kalidakope

Team Captain
May 6, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
It looks dire without 3 or 4 quality players in that age range, and I have no idea how to get them

Kalidakope

Team Captain
May 6, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
The age profile will naturally become a non-issue by 2023 when our 2020 recruits are entering their third season.

I put that to paper and it doesn't look good enough to be honest, I know there are a few unknown recruits to add but that's not a very good base to work with once you weed out the vets

Quaynor Keane Wilson
Maynard Moore Murphy
Crisp J Daicos Poulter
McInnes Mihocek Henry
De Goey McMahon Elliott

Grundy N Daicos Adams

Macrea McCreery T Brown Cameron

Last edited:
May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Age profile only becomes relevant if your developing youth take time. Generally works that by the time they’re pushing that 23 or 24 they’ve clocked up 50+ games so at a minimum can assume a role. If the come on like Quaynor then that negates the concerns.

Absolutely... we need a good proportion of our 2020 draftees to not only succeed, but to develop quickly. It can be done but it will need a slightly higher than average success rate

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I put that to paper and it doesn't look good enough to be honest, I know there are a few unknown recruits to add but that's not a very good base to work with once you weed out the vets

Quaynor Keane Wilson
Maynard Moore Murphy
Crisp J Daicos Poulter
McInnes Mihocek Henry
De Goey McMahon Elliott

Grundy N Daicos Adams

Macrea McCreery T Brown Cameron

Not sure your point in guessing a 2023 best 22.

In two years time we will realistically only be missing Pendlebury from retirement (although every chance hes still playing). The rest like Sidebottom and Howe (theres actually not that many key players who are of retiring age) are replaceable or fringe players already. So it really depends how quickly and successfully our 2020 draftees develop... which is exactly what I was saying.

Kalidakope

Team Captain
May 6, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure your point in guessing a 2023 best 22.

In two years time we will realistically only be missing Pendlebury from retirement (although every chance hes still playing). The rest like Sidebottom and Howe (theres actually not that many key players who are of retiring age) are replaceable or fringe players already. So it really depends how quickly and successfully our 2020 draftees develop... which is exactly what I was saying.
Even if half were as good as we hope they'll be 20-21 with our two best midfielders and the best defender in the league (til his injury) gone, I don't see how that gets us in the 8 let alone a flag

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus

Traditionally we've taken 7 years to get back to serious contention: 2002/2003 - 2010/2011 - 2018/2019

2026/2027 is too far away for our real stars so we have to find a way to speed it up and target 2023/2024
They won't be in their prime but the still should be old enough to contribute. Grundy at 32 and the other two at 30. Having three stars in that age bracket is exactly why we shouldn't be fast tracking a rebuild. We need to rebuild properly around our young players and accept that Grundy, De Goey and Moore (if they choose to stay) will be here to help devlop the younger generation and hopelly snag a premiership in their twilight.

Kalidakope

Team Captain
May 6, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
They won't be in their prime but the still should be old enough to contribute. Grundy at 32 and the other two at 30. Having three stars in that age bracket is exactly why we shouldn't be fast tracking a rebuild. We need to rebuild properly around our young players and accept that Grundy, De Goey and Moore (if they choose to stay) will be here to help devlop the younger generation and hopelly snag a premiership in their twilight.
I wouldn't open their contract negotiations with that plan, but you may be right

Back