• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Whilst I am amazed you have finally - finally - posted something about Collingwood, this is not the thread for it.

Piss off troll.
Really? This is an appropriate way for a moderator to speak to another poster?

My post was relevant to show a comparison of how many players taken by clubs with draft picks 27 and beyond took to the field on the weekend, in response to a comment made by a Carlton poster. Naturally, I started with my own club (though I could have used any club).

May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ipswich Town FC, Leeds Rhinos
Any chance we could get this thread back on track rather than it becoming a pissing competition between a couple of Blues and a Pie? Perhaps take it into a 'Does five players drafted after Pick 27 within your best 22 demonstrate a team is good at developing its talent?" thread.

Changing subjects - did you see Freo's 22 that beat the Geelong at the weekend - let's take a completely arbitrary trade position, say Pick 27 - amazingly 12 of those players were taken by Freo at Pick 27 or later. Of the others - five were trades into Freo (two of them steak knives) and four were Top 20 picks (and one of them is a pensioner).

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
You suggesting that after years of trolling you should be put up on a pedestal?

I reiterate. Piss off troll.

Not sure you are helping in any way here.. they didn't ask to be put on a pedestal so that isn't relevant. Telling people to piss off isn't the best by a mod either.

So back to Carlton and Freo.

The coming three rounds will be interesting to track form.

We have 6 out this week with Covid and you have Crows, Giants and Sydney. Winning two of those and you would expect to finish in the 8. We have three games we would be favourites for but don't know how the Covid stuff will go. Then we have Dees and Brisbane in the next group of games.

If we can win 2 of the next three and Carlton does the same both teams are in a strong position. Carlton should play finals (unless there is an injury apocalypse) for the next 3-4 years and possibly more.

Freo hope that one of Erasmus or Johnson will develop to cover the loss of Mundy and eventually Fyfe. Brodie as a big body is doing a great job and should allow the development of juniors while playing at a high level.

Wouldn't mind getting them twice in Perth at some point to make up for last season. Other than that both teams should be there with Sydney in the finals as up and coming teams.

Freo hope that one of Erasmus or Johnson will develop to cover the loss of Mundy and eventually Fyfe.

Tell me this is not true. Mr Mundy is a favourite for fans of all teams.

I think all footy fans have to come to terms with the reality that Mundy will have to retire in 3-4 seasons.

The Mr Mundy wine ages to new plateaus of excellence each year. Will keep for another decade.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Both teams have started the year better than they would have anticipated.

Blues injuries have hit hard in the areas we are thinnest and freo have covid waves so theres nothing guaranteed.

Both lists look in good shape overall though, particularly with value acquisitions like hewett ane brodie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yup - both Blues and Freo have essentially completed the majority of their rebuilds.

Very different to Dodoro's Bombers who have not realised they need one.

SOS delayed Carlton's rebuild efforts through dumb recruiting. Carlton to their credit excised their problem via sacking SOS. Essendon may yet do the same with theirs.

But yet off topic, so mea culpa.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
SOS delayed Carlton's rebuild efforts through dumb recruiting. Carlton to their credit excised their problem via sacking SOS. Essendon may yet do the same with theirs.

SOS made mistakes, but also was key to our rebuild drafting our entire spine in 2015 and managing the cap well to bring in valuable FAs for fa like Hewett.

Perhaps if the COLA swans had such an astute cap manager they wouldn't undervalue guys like George.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

Weitering, McKay, Curnow, SOS and Cuningham in his first off season.

Thank * for SOS. We’d be where Essendon are at now without him.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC

Did SOS deny you an autograph when you were younger?
You've got the biggest hard on for him.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC

Current best 22:
Weitering
Walsh
McKay
Curnow
JSOS
Fisher
Kennedy
TDK
Newman
Owies
Pitto
Martin
Stocker

Fringe 22:
Plow
Dow (really being forced to put a big body of work behind him at VFL level)
LOB
Setterfield
Newnes
Kemp
Williamson
Cottrell (I'm not a fan)

Injured expected 22:
Honey (expected back in VFL after bye)
Gov (always inj)
Cuningham (always inj)
Marchbank (always inj)

Don't bother listing the so-called fails. The vast majority were picked up as cheap free agents, rookie contracts, steak knives with other deals, or salary dumps to get discounts on other targets. You could find just as many failed picks/delistings from every club over a 5 year period.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
If freo win this week we have the better build purely because it will show we are a game plan team that doesn’t rely on stars to perform.
Take last weekend, preseason our three most important players to have a good year would of been our captain Fyfe our bnf winner Darcy and our leading goal kicker tabs none of them played on the weekend at the cattery. Tabs 7 goal game was the only time we needed one of the three.
Now if you took captain Cripps bnf winner Walsh and leading goal kicker McKay out of Carlton could they win an away game? I’m doubtful.
Carlton have more stars but a gf berth over the next 5 years will be solely dependent on all guns firing.
Our horrific injury toll over the last 6 years has helped heaps with depth and now and into the future with no injuries we will have 8-10 players with afl experience that I would be happy to call upon to play their roll.
And for those who say vossy is in his first year, so is Mitchell and McRae and both their teams have exceeded my expectations with a game plan and everyone on the same page.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
Weitering and co all came in the 2015 AFL draft correct?

Weitering = pick 1 acquired via 18th finish.

Harry McKay = pick 8
Charlie Curnow = pick 11
David Cuningham = pick 19

SOS traded Troy Menzel for pick 28 + Lachie Henderson for a future 1st.
He then traded pick 28 + Geelongs future 1st for pick 8 (Harry McKay) + Lachie Plowman + Andrew Phillips + Jed Lamb + Liam Sumner.

SOS traded Tom Bell for pick 21.
Then traded pick 21 + pick 20 for pick 11 (Charlie Curnow).

SOS traded Chris Yarran for pick 19 (Cuningham).

But yeah they all came from the draft, just wanted to flex on how we got those picks.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Weitering = pick 1 acquired via 18th finish.

Harry McKay = pick 8
Charlie Curnow = pick 11
David Cuningham = pick 19

SOS traded Troy Menzel for pick 28 + Lachie Henderson for a future 1st.
He then traded pick 28 + Geelongs future 1st for pick 8 (Harry McKay) + Lachie Plowman + Andrew Phillips + Jed Lamb + Liam Sumner.

SOS traded Tom Bell for pick 21.
Then traded pick 21 + pick 20 for pick 11 (Charlie Curnow).

SOS traded Chris Yarran for pick 19 (Cuningham).

But yeah they all came from the draft, just wanted to flex on how we got those picks.
He was also 50% responsible for getting JSOS in at pick 50-ish. Though I give most of the credit to Jo

Back