Analysis The Rebuilds of Carlton and Fremantle and their future prospects

Who has the better prospects?

• Total voters
Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Walsh, Weitering, Cerra, Harry, Charlie, Cripps would be 'untouchables'

Next crop - Martin, Williams, Hewett, JSOS, Saad, Fisher, TDK, Stocker. 'Highly Valuable'

Veterans - Jones, Ed Curnow, Newman, Sam Docherty

Injured stars - Marchbank, Cunningham, McGovern, Setterfield

Rising Youngsters - Kemp, Durdin, Carrol, Honey, Philp
Freo have no chance of catching the blues
(Blues have had more wins once in the last 10 years.)
Once their “Injured Stars” return even the dees will be shaking in their boots !

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
You just know the ‘Cerra was just our 4th best mid!’ is going to be the average Freo fans catchcry all off season.

Might go some way to reconciling the sadness, but no team likes losing gun players about to enter their prime.

I’m very keen to see how he goes back home with more time at the stoppages. Should fit like a glove.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
You just know the ‘Cerra was just our 4th best mid!’ is going to be the average Freo fans catchcry all off season.

Might go some way to reconciling the sadness, but no team likes losing gun players about to enter their prime.

I’m very keen to see how he goes back home with more time at the stoppages. Should fit like a glove.
i had him as their 5th best mid in 2021, Mundy Fyfe Serong Brayshaw arguably ahead of him

But he should continue to improve (as should the other youngsters + ageless Mundy)

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
i had him as their 5th best mid in 2021, Mundy Fyfe Serong Brayshaw arguably ahead of him

But he should continue to improve (as should the other youngsters + ageless Mundy)

Fyfe was pretty poor this year, and I’d have Cerra ahead of Serong on overall impact.

1. Mundy
2. Brayshaw
3. Cerra

A little alarming actually. One is about to turn 64, the other is living it up on the East Coast.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
It’s an indictment on the blues that they’re even sharing a thread with freo.
We are a year behind in the build and have lost 2 bnf winners in hill and Neale , two young guns in Weller and cerra leave which has put us back another year back and a crippling injury toll.
Blues should be fighting for a top 4 spot with lions and dees not blowing their trumpet because they beat the anchors twice in a year.
A proud club with a successful vfl history has got to a point where they just compare there club to who they think is comparable until that team moves up the ladder.
2022 thread: blues vs suns and their rebuilds.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
It’s an indictment on the blues that they’re even sharing a thread with freo.
We are a year behind in the build and have lost 2 bnf winners in hill and Neale , two young guns in Weller and cerra leave which has put us back another year back and a crippling injury toll.
Blues should be fighting for a top 4 spot with lions and dees not blowing their trumpet because they beat the anchors twice in a year.
A proud club with a successful vfl history has got to a point where they just compare there club to who they think is comparable until that team moves up the ladder.
2022 thread: blues vs suns and their rebuilds.

Swings and roundabouts.

No reasonable team would pay Pick 2 for Weller, the Dockers strongarmed a desperate Gold Coast Suns.

The Dockers then got overcompensated for Hill, who was gunning for a career contract.

Imagine the Dockers without Brayshaw and Serong having just lost Cerra?

I don’t think we’re too fussed about who we’re compared to at this point in time. The Dockers only won a couple more games and beat as many finals-placed teams.

Every year there is a general shuffle, but while neither team is contending the finishing positions are pretty redundant.

I’d be surprised to see Freo finish above the Blues next year, but stranger things have happened.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Because the game has moved past the big contested bull who can't spread from stoppage

Slapping extra kilos on Cripps isn’t going to effect his mobility much.

He’s always going to be super slow and doesn’t need to be a link up player around the ground.

We stripped him down in 2020 and it didn’t do him (and Carlton) much good.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I would’ve said Freo, but then they went and took our 4th best midfielder, so I’m not sure anymore..

Due to personal bias and the fact we’re a more settled club, then our rebuild will more likely go better in the short to medium term. Long term is anyone’s guess.
Your avatar is funny “stronzo” :D

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Have a read about his agility testing.

second to none in that draft camp but still .2 of a second slower than the Stephen Hill record is mental.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Betting agencies have both Carlton and Fremantle at identical odds for Top 8 and Premiership.

So yes, stranger things than an event with odds at even money have indeed happened.

😮😮😮

Odds will never reflect the true value/likelihood of an event occurring, the market is set on the basis of a range of factors, most notably to entice prospective punters.

Lower values can trick punters into thinking they’re getting in on a likely deal, eg Clarko $2 odds of coaching Carlton a couple of months back.

We know you’re not a betting man though.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Odds will never reflect the true value/likelihood of an event occurring, the market is set on the basis of a range of factors, most notably to entice prospective punters.

Lower values can trick punters into thinking they’re getting in on a likely deal, eg Clarko $2 odds of coaching Carlton a couple of months back.

We know you’re not a betting man though.
Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing.

Clarko was $2 favourite for the Carlton coaching job because all he had to say was 'Yes' and the job was his.

Are you really trying to say that the odds about Carlton/Freo finishing higher than one another is not even money?

If this is the case, what is the probability in your eyes?

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think Cripps bounces back for sure, he'll drop 5+ kgs I think and have a good year.

Given his main advantage is his size as a mid i'm not sure that's wise. He doesn't have the stribgs to his bow to be playing other positions. Hopefully he just isn't labouring like he was this year.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing.

Clarko was $2 favourite for the Carlton coaching job because all he had to say was 'Yes' and the job was his.

Are you really trying to say that the odds about Carlton/Freo finishing higher than one another is not even money?

If this is the case, what is the probability in your eyes?

You can refer to my original post on the topic.

I believe Carlton are in a better position on the basis of our list composition, adding a senior coach and coaching panel with more experience and the general timeline of development.

Whether that translates to more wins remains to be seen, but I’m happy to predict Carlton will finish higher.

Back