Analysis The Rebuilds of Carlton and Fremantle and their future prospects

Who has the better prospects?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton have definitely gone past Fremantle now.

Carlton = top 4 side.
Fremantle = borderline top 8 side.

Yes I'm aware Fremantle beat Carlton the other week but that was in Perth and Carlton lost two players to injury during the game.

McKay + Curnow would be the best key forward duo in the game right now. They remind me of Franklin and Roughead in 2008.

Hawkins + Cameron and Lynch + Riewoldt are the other top key forward duos in the game but all those players are closer to the end than the beginning.

McKay + Curnow on the other hand have 10 year careers ahead of them and the future with those two is looking to be a very exciting ride for Carlton supporters.

Taberner + Lobb as a key forward duo doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence.

Charlie is 25, don't think he's a ten year player.

Hopefully a good productive 5-6 years though with his injury history.

Harry McKay missing for the next 6 weeks is going to be huge. Let's see how the rest of the Blues pick up the slack.

If they go 2 - 4 or worse then the over reliance will still be on show. 3 - 3 or better and they should be taken very seriously.

Giants (Giants Stadium) night ✅
Swans (Marvel) night ✅
Magpies (MCG) ?
Bombers (MCG) ?
Tigers (MCG) ?

Carlton = top 4 side.

Yes I'm aware Fremantle beat Carlton the other week but that was in Perth and Carlton lost two players to injury during the game.

McKay + Curnow would be the best key forward duo in the game right now. They remind me of Franklin and Roughead in 2008.

Hawkins + Cameron and Lynch + Riewoldt are the other top key forward duos in the game but all those players are closer to the end than the beginning.

McKay + Curnow on the other hand have 10 year careers ahead of them and the future with those two is looking to be a very exciting ride for Carlton supporters.

Taberner + Lobb as a key forward duo doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence.

Would agree that Carlton's tall forward duo is significantly better than what Fremantle can conjure.

Although, Switkowski and Schultz are extremely serviceable and have been better than Owies and Durdin to date. Durdin is starting to emerge as a very good player, Fisher is in super form currently.

Fremantle's young midfield core of Brodie, Brayshaw and Serong is elite. And they're doing all that without Fyfe, which is amazing.

Fremantle got Carlton at a good time, early in the season, at home, when Carlton's form was fluctuating and still ironing out the defensive game plan. Confident that we'd have Fremantle's measure at Marvel/MCG at this point of the season.

Melbourne the clear standouts, with Carlton and Brisbane in the next tier and Fremantle in a group of 3 or 4 teams (St Kilda, etc).

Carlton = top 4 side.

Meh. Dry weather with Fyfe, we * you. Wet weather probably not.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fremantle got Carlton at a good time, early in the season, at home, when Carlton's form was fluctuating and still ironing out the defensive game plan. Confident that we'd have Fremantle's measure at Marvel/MCG at this point of the season
Yes I'm aware Fremantle beat Carlton the other week but that was in Perth

Is Carlton beating Freo in Melbourne somehow more meritorious than Freo beating Carlton in Perth?

There always seems to be this undercurrent of 'Yes Freo beat Carlton, but that doesn't count because it was in Perth. Freo wouldn't be able to beat them in a real game in Melbourne'.

Funny weren't we winning the game up until Mckay and Pittonet went down?
Read it again. Dry weather, with some bloke called Fyfe. You may have heard of him, won a couple of Brownlows. Wasn't playing last time.

McKay is good but soft, Curnow's a genuine game changer and Logue gave him a bath. Don't get me wrong, Carlton are a very good side, but we match up well (in the dry at least). Looking forward to seeing you in Melbourne, should be a cracker.

Is Carlton beating Freo in Melbourne somehow more meritorious than Freo beating Carlton in Perth?

There always seems to be this undercurrent of 'Yes Freo beat Carlton, but that doesn't count because it was in Perth. Freo wouldn't be able to beat them in a real game in Melbourne'.
Even if Freo had not lost another game, I'd still be looking forward to playing them again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldnt be writing Freo off.

I also wouldn't be counting our chickens either. Sides will drift in and out of form and drop games. Both sides would be very happy to have won 8 and 7 games respectively at this stage of the season. Both definitely would of taken it at the start of the year.

Read it again. Dry weather, with some bloke called Fyfe. You may have heard of him, won a couple of Brownlows. Wasn't playing last time.

McKay is good but soft, Curnow's a genuine game changer and Logue gave him a bath. Don't get me wrong, Carlton are a very good side, but we match up well (in the dry at least). Looking forward to seeing you in Melbourne, should be a cracker.

Mckay soft 😂😂😂 the bloke came back out out that game after damaging his pcl just to to try to ease the burden from Curnow getting triple teamed by ur KPD. He also kicked 7.5 vs u last year, is that not a game changer??

Harry McKay missing for the next 6 weeks is going to be huge. Let's see how the rest of the Blues pick up the slack.

If they go 2 - 4 or worse then the over reliance will still be on show. 3 - 3 or better and they should be taken very seriously.

Giants (Giants Stadium) night
Swans (Marvel) day

Magpies (MCG) ?
Bombers (MCG) ?
Tigers (MCG) ?

That’s TWO. :cool: (Thanks for the reminder Aphrodite ).;)

Last edited:
Mckay soft 😂😂😂 the bloke came back out out that game after damaging his pcl just to to try to ease the burden from Curnow getting triple teamed by ur KPD. He also kicked 7.5 vs u last year, is that not a game changer??
Yeah, Harry may appear laconic sometimes and yes in the past as a raw beanpole maybe had patches of looking soft and unsure of himself, but he's anything but soft now.

Sportsbet paying $5 for us to miss finals

good money for fadge
Thanks for alerting me to that opportunity.

I've made a tidy side hustle over the past two decades betting on Carlton to underperform. Why would I stop now?

Remember early 2012, when Carlton were Premiership favourites for 5 minutes?

Oh that's right... it's different now...

I've made a tidy side hustle over the past two decades betting on Carlton to underperform. Why would I stop now?

Still putting $1 on the field I see

"Pies will finish above Demons and Carlton in 2021"

"Carlton for the spoon 2022"

"Carlton will not make finals in 2022"

"Tigers will win by 60 points plus round 1"

I had $20 bucks on that you couldn't get any dumber, I've blown it.

Back