Analysis The Rebuilds of Geelong and Richmond and their Future Prospects

Who has the better future prospects?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Did those players play junior football or were they drafted at more than 69kg?

What is the difference? He is a 3rd year player. Ie has been a professional footballer for rising 3 years. In looking at his future prospects(what this thread is about) do you think it will ultimately make him a better player because he didn't come through the underage system? Or because he was skinny when drafted?

Dempsey is doing well but I have already conceded that. If you think I am wrong to say he is not tracking to be a marquee level player, then make a statement about that. Do you think he is tracking to be a marquee level player? Do other Cats supporters think that? If so, why?

The bloke was taken in the rookie draft.

Even if “this” (very handy contributions punctuated by the odd great game) was his absolute ceiling, it’s a fantastic outcome.

But how is that any better than rookies Richmond have taken like Baker(who is probably roughly where Dempsey is projecting to be) and Campbell who is probably doing at least as well in his second year on the list as Dempsey did in his? Or Grimes who was seen for a good few years as being in the best handful of defenders in the competition? Or Jayden Short, who is a Premiership team B & F winner?

All teams produce rookies who turn out to be terrific players. It doesn't mean they are better players for being recruited as rookies. We should expect Dempsey to be a very good player based on how he is tracking. But how good are you saying we should see him as being likely to be in the future? Do you think he is tracking to be a top 5-6 marquee level type player?

What is the difference? He is a 3rd year player. Ie has been a professional footballer for rising 3 years. In looking at his future prospects(what this thread is about) do you think it will ultimately make him a better player because he didn't come through the underage system? Or because he was skinny when drafted?

Dempsey is doing well but I have already conceded that. If you think I am wrong to say he is not tracking to be a marquee level player, then make a statement about that. Do you think he is tracking to be a marquee level player? Do other Cats supporters think that? If so, why?

It depends what you rate as a marquee level player but I think his ceiling is immense. Of our younger players I'd take him 2nd behind Holmes and just ahead of Clark.

I think his ceiling is higher than Holmes but Holmes is a already an extremely good player while there is at least a little uncertainty about whether Dempsey's body can develop to the point where he can be a gun midfielder.

Why? Watch the game the other day and see the speed of his hands, the smartness of his body positioning, the quality of his decision making, vision, composure, etc. He's got it all.

He just had 27 and 3 with 2 goal assists while spending most of the night playing a defensive forward role on Vlastuin. Also 13 contested possessions and 3 clearances from a forward flank so he's not just an outside player. It's a pretty special performance for a guy who's played less than 20 games. To do that when he has so much physical development to go is incredibly rare.

It depends what you rate as a marquee level player but I think his ceiling is immense. Of our younger players I'd take him 2nd behind Holmes and just ahead of Clark.

I think his ceiling is higher than Holmes but Holmes is a already an extremely good player while there is at least a little uncertainty about whether Dempsey's body can develop to the point where he can be a gun midfielder.

Why? Watch the game the other day and see the speed of his hands, the smartness of his body positioning, the quality of his decision making, vision, composure, etc. He's got it all.

He just had 27 and 3 with 2 goal assists while spending most of the night playing a defensive forward role on Vlastuin. Also 13 contested possessions and 3 clearances from a forward flank so he's not just an outside player. It's a pretty special performance for a guy who's played less than 20 games. To do that when he has so much physical development to go is incredibly rare.

I guess doing it once v a team in disarray might not be so rare. If he starts producing these type of performances v the stronger teams in big games with any sort of regularity, that would be rare. I will give Dempsey this, he always seems to look tidy in contests and he has some height and speed, and those a very good attributes to have in combination. But he is going to start drawing better match-ups etc, and we will have to see how he gets on then.

I guess doing it once v a team in disarray might not be so rare. If he starts producing these type of performances v the stronger teams in big games with any sort of regularity, that would be rare. I will give Dempsey this, he always seems to look tidy in contests and he has some height and speed, and those a very good attributes to have in combination. But he is going to start drawing better match-ups etc, and we will have to see how he gets on then.

Richmond weren't in disarray the other night. You came with 22 players intent on making it hard for Geelong. Your best players played really well in the first half and Geelong as a team didn't handle it well. You had a 5 goal lead.

I don't care who you're playing coming back from 5 goals down is hard yards. When we desperately needed someone to stand up Dempsey delivered 2 goals and a goal assist in the second quarter. He was basically the one guy keeping us in the game.

He had kicked 3 and had a goal assist before we even hit the lead. This wasn't Kai Lohmann (who I like as a player) filling his boots in a 100 point win when the game was effectively over after 15 minutes.

And how much better matchups than Vlastuin do you want him to get?

You seem to be implying a lot of things I'm not saying. I think you need to calm down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond weren't in disarray the other night. You came with 22 players intent on making it hard for Geelong. Your best players played really well in the first half and Geelong as a team didn't handle it well. You had a 5 goal lead.

I don't care who you're playing coming back from 5 goals down is hard yards. When we desperately needed someone to stand up Dempsey delivered 2 goals and a goal assist in the second quarter. He was basically the one guy keeping us in the game.

He had kicked 3 and had a goal assist before we even hit the lead. This wasn't Kai Lohmann (who I like as a player) filling his boots in a 100 point win when the game was effectively over after 15 minutes.

And how much better matchups than Vlastuin do you want him to get?

Dempsey spent the whole first term on Ralphsmith on a wing.

Q2 he moves to attack, gets a handball goal assist at a stoppage on Miller. Then takes an advantage and snaps a goal that was no benefit to Geelong whatsoever and has another ball ricochet into his lap and snaps a goal. For the advantage goal he was on Brown at a stoppage.

So he did well there(including a bit of luck his way) but didn't beat Vlastuin in any contests and wasn't even on Vlastuin that I could tell. His 3rd goal in the 3rd term was on Vlastuin but was a soccer off the ground from 1m out after Vlastuin slipped over turning, basically it was a Bradbury goal, and not Peter Bradbury either. His final goal assist came on Brown when the play was broken up down the wing as Richmond were a man down with Lefau limping off, as usual umps don't stop the game when a Tiger player has a serious injury against Geelong.

So his goals and assists may have mainly come at good times for Geelong, but 4 of the 5 were not on Vlastuin, the one that was relied on Vlastuin slipping over when he had Dempsey covered, and the goals he kicked were very much a result of Richmond's defence not being perfectly organised, as you would expect with so much instability there. Not Dempsey's fault, he did his job, but those are not goal involvements he will be able to build any sort of career upon.

Complete lies, he isn’t ill. We knew it would happen.
You just need fans to rock up to a game after you’ve all deserted ship.
Claim to be a big club but look at yourselves.
He's not allowed to be ill now is he?

Q2 he moves to attack, gets a handball goal assist at a stoppage on Miller. Then takes an advantage and snaps a goal that was no benefit to Geelong whatsoever and has another ball ricochet into his lap and snaps a goal. For the advantage goal he was on Brown at a stoppage.

So he did well there(including a bit of luck his way) but didn't beat Vlastuin in any contests and wasn't even on Vlastuin that I could tell. His 3rd goal in the 3rd term was on Vlastuin but was a soccer off the ground from 1m out after Vlastuin slipped over turning, basically it was a Bradbury goal, and not Peter Bradbury either. His final goal assist came on Brown when the play was broken up down the wing as Richmond were a man down with Lefau limping off, as usual umps don't stop the game when a Tiger player has a serious injury against Geelong.

So his goals and assists may have mainly come at good times for Geelong, but 4 of the 5 were not on Vlastuin, the one that was relied on Vlastuin slipping over when he had Dempsey covered, and the goals he kicked were very much a result of Richmond's defence not being perfectly organised, as you would expect with so much instability there. Not Dempsey's fault, he did his job, but those are not goal involvements he will be able to build any sort of career upon.

This is an immense effort to talk down a sub 20 gamer who both coaches agreed was one of the dominant players on the ground. Excellent job.

Maybe if he's not dropped he'll be able to Bradbury his way into a few more goal involvements that he can't build any sort of career upon next week.

This is an immense effort to talk down a sub 20 gamer who both coaches agreed was one of the dominant players on the ground. Excellent job.

Maybe if he's not dropped he'll be able to Bradbury his way into a few more goal involvements that he can't build any sort of career upon next week.

Mate I am only correcting the nonsense you blokes have gone to the immense effort of concocting.

Mate I am only correcting the nonsense you blokes have gone to the immense effort of concocting.

Lol. Imagine the sad life involved in trawling through game footage to talk down the game of a sub 20 gamer who had 27 touches, 3 goals and 2 goal assists.

We get it. You don't rate him. Just like you didn't rate Max Holmes a few weeks back. Thats fine.

Pretending his game on the weekend was anything but outstanding for a guy in game 19 when both coaches had him 3rd best on ground just makes you look insane.

Lol. Imagine the sad life involved in trawling through game footage to talk down the game of a sub 20 gamer who had 27 touches, 3 goals and 2 goal assists.

We get it. You don't rate him. Just like you didn't rate Max Holmes a few weeks back. Thats fine.

Pretending his game on the weekend was anything but outstanding for a guy in game 19 when both coaches had him 3rd best on ground just makes you look insane.

You are losing the plot.

I rate both Holmes and Dempsey. You are fuming because I don't over-rate them like you.

You posted utter hogwash about Dempsey's game inferring that he did all his damage on Vlastuin. Then when I went to the trouble of fact-checking you and showing what you posted had misled the house, you turn on me.

If you don't know who Dempsey plays on, don't make it according to what you think will make him look unbelievably good, just say you don't know.

Just acknowledge that you misled the board then we can all move on.

Cats supporters a very strange lot.

Last edited:

This is your most hilarious effort yet.

Vlastuin, Balta, Short, Rioli, Miller, Brown and Broad - "so much instability" in that defence of credentialed and promising players.

Whatever Dempsey did was just lucky or someone fell over. In fact he was a predator like the Martin stuff you have weeped tears of joy at for 15 years - including against many worse 1v1 defenders than the Tigers line up from the weekend.

And of course Vlastuin could do no wrong in what was actually a scatter gun performance.

You must realise how desperate and comical your posts on anything Geelong related are.

You made him microscopically dissect Dempsey destroying Richmond, 3 days after the fact. You did very, very well. I wonder how long he's going to squirm on this issue, much like his efforts to diminish Holmes, O.Henry and others. While saying the 19-21 year old kids at Richmond are flying, or if not will be seriously good players eventually.

As expected Geelong's 25 and unders seriously outperformed Richmond's, who are more reliant on their veterans than Geelong in 2024.

Back