Analysis The Rebuilds of Geelong and Richmond and their Future Prospects

Who has the better future prospects?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

For 25 and unders:

Good: Bolton, Balta, Mansell, Miller, Dow, Brown, Campbell (clutch goals)

Bad/indifferent: Ryan, Ralphsmith, Kozzy, Cumberland, Sonsie

The 26 and overs were mostly very good.

Switch Ralphsmith and Dow.

But yeah the genuinely young players played peripheral roles somewhere between well and poorly while Balta, Baker, Nank, Broad, Taranto, Short and Bolton were superb.

But yeah the genuinely young players played peripheral roles somewhere between well and poorly while Balta, Baker, Nank, Broad, Taranto, Short and Bolton were superb.
Yep, last night was a positive as it showed where we are at.

The older players showing leadership (ahh hello north Melbourne?) and the younger ones beginning to blend in.

Loved Browns game. He’s improving week by week.

And Mcauliffe only played the final 12 minutes but showed his class with 7 possessions and 2 stoppage clearances. Reminds me of Prestia but a better mark and kick.

All our young and mid range players showed some sort of progress last night, with the exception of our tall forwards. I suspect we will need to find a solution to this through draft or trade.

Mostly agree except for Raplthsmith

Easy to think he didn’t perform based on his possie count but he was absolutely huge on the wing

Impacting contests and both ends of the ground with some great spoils, 1%s and tackles

Massive amount of work off the ball as well leading the club for distance covered, sprints and repeat prints

In a game that was ultimately decided by pressure couldn’t really overstate his game
Yeah that's probably fair for Ralphsmith, he did work his butt off to create contests and track back all night. And he's been good lately.

Yeah that's probably fair for Ralphsmith, he did work his butt off to create contests and track back all night. And he's been good lately.
He’s been my surprise for the year

I had him all but delisted last year, always seemed okay but very much a one way runner who was really comprising when he had to defend or put his body on the line
Got given a Hail Mary one year contract at the very end of the year (along with Dow)

But since he got his opportunity this year he has really taken his opportunity and grown into a much more well rounded player that has that team 1st mentality you love to see in a younger player

No Dusty. No Lynch. Prestia very little impact. No Pickett. Top 10 possession getters 27yo or under. 3 of the top 4 goal roosters 23 or under.

Win interstate away off a 5 day hiatus. Adversity. Injuries. Free kick counts.

Cats fans on here will be FUMING. :tearsofjoy:
I'm pretty sure our team board doesn't have 10 pages worth of saltmine CFL/rules/umpires/Hocking/Whately/2022 QF meltdowns, which I believe is the standard response on the Richmond board to every Cats win.

I'm pretty sure our team board doesn't have 10 pages worth of saltmine CFL/rules/umpires/Hocking/Whately/2022 QF meltdowns, which I believe is the standard response on the Richmond board to every Cats win.
You seem a long time lurker on our board so you are probably across a lot of our views there.

Tell me, what do Cats fans think of the development of Knevitt and Clarke?

Bowes and Atkins looked good last week in the middle but I’m not sure they are the answer if you were contending. Are they far away from taking a midfield spot?

Yep, last night was a positive as it showed where we are at.

The older players showing leadership (ahh hello north Melbourne?) and the younger ones beginning to blend in.

Loved Browns game. He’s improving week by week.

And Mcauliffe only played the final 12 minutes but showed his class with 7 possessions and 2 stoppage clearances. Reminds me of Prestia but a better mark and kick.

All our young and mid range players showed some sort of progress last night, with the exception of our tall forwards. I suspect we will need to find a solution to this through draft or trade.

Once Hopper is back I'd be dropping Dow and sticking with McAuliffe. Dow's weaknesses are just too big and I don't see the payoff in giving him games while McAuliffe has shown a fair bit.

Similarly I'd stick with Ryan over Koschitzke once Lynch is back. He's not really a forward but I thought Ryan showed little bits last week and tonight. Kosi still looks an all-time spud.

It's amazing how much more comfortable your whole backline has looked with Balta going back. Short, Broad, Miller and Brown look so much better than 3 weeks ago. I was impressed with Blight in the VFL last week but with Balta back there's not really a spot for him.

If you get Hopper and Lynch back I don't really see why you can't end up with 7-8 wins.

Bowes and Atkins looked good last week in the middle but I’m not sure they are the answer if you were contending. Are they far away from taking a midfield spot?

I can't speak for fellow cats fans but:

Knevitt is a strange case. He got AFL games despite very limited VFL form in his first 2 years and actually showed a bit. This year he's been much improved at VFL level but hasn't got a chance in the senior team. Chris Scott mentioned him as one they wanted to get into the team recently so they haven't forgotten him.

He's been a bit stiff that our wingers have had great availability and with Dempsey going great he hasn't been able to get a spot. He's defensively strong and a great runner but not that clean with his hands and his kicking is only ok. My guess is he should be able to develop into a role player at AFL level but I'm not sure he's good enough to be more than that.

Clark I'm extremely excited by. He's nowhere near ready physically (maybe we held him back this preseason due to his foot issues last year) but he's shown glimpses of utter class with excellent handballing, vision and composure in traffic. He also has a brutal attack on the ball and man. Once his body comes on he'll be excellent.

Bowes is too inconsistent as a mid at the moment. My bet is he ends up at half back where he's a solid player once our younger players develop further.

Atkins has already been a crucial part of a premiership midfield (6th in B&F) and backed it up with runner up in our B&F last year. He's defence first so doesn't get the same attention as others but if we can replace him in midfield we're doing very well.

You seem a long time lurker on our board so you are probably across a lot of our views there.

Knevitt will replace Blicavs (minus the ruck work) as a mobile wingman/midfielder with a bit of height. He's still doing pretty well at VFL level in the meantime but is yet to prove his quality in the 1's. Expectation isn't high. Bruhn improving year on year is a better prospect for us.

Clark missed most of his first year, so you can consider this his actual first year of senior football. His frame currently just won't let his playing style work against bigger bodies. The composure also isn't there yet. He's one where pumping 50 games into him (combination of VFL/AFL) - with a couple of pre-seasons to bulk up and build a tank is essential. At Bruhn's age he'll be a good player I reckon.

Conway, Holmes, Bruhn, Bowes, Dempsey, Clark and Knevitt - supplemented by Bailey Smith or LDU (hopefully) - that midfield mix in a couple of years can be solid enough.

And the bolded is exactly why the Richmond football club will fall across the next decade. Delusional hubris for a past that no longer exists. As I said in my original post, their "premiership status" is irrelevant, they weren't talented when they were winning premierships and are now not talented and not hungry / fit for the contest. They will provide NOTHING to the Richmond football club moving forward. I would LOVE for Richmond to continue to play these VFL plodders.
Meteoric Rise i suggest you listen to FBI. Carlton fans certainly should know about delusional hubris, but while FBI has assigned Richmond a decade of “fall” the Blues are pushing three decades for a past that no longer exists, namely buying superstars and paying them in brown paper bags. With no guaranteed end in sight.

And the bolded is exactly why the Richmond football club will fall across the next decade. Delusional hubris for a past that no longer exists. As I said in my original post, their "premiership status" is irrelevant, they weren't talented when they were winning premierships and are now not talented and not hungry / fit for the contest. They will provide NOTHING to the Richmond football club moving forward. I would LOVE for Richmond to continue to play these VFL plodders.
I’m a big fan of Carlton and their prospects, some of their more arrogant and loud mouth fans, not so much.

But the Blues are the prime examples of having role players in their 22 playing their part for success.

Kennedy, Cowan, Owies, Fantasia, Kemp, Fogerty, Chinotta, Hewitt, Boyd, Hollands all played last week and are bit players in the scheme of things.

I’d suggest some of our ‘plodders’ you’ve listed are of similar ilk to those I’ve listed above.

Solid win by the Tigers.

Any team with Vlastuin, Rioli, Short, Balta and Broad in their defence and Nank, Taranto, Bolton, Prestia and Baker in his current form in midfield should be at least competitive.

I didn't think I was insane thinking the Tigers could make finals this year with a decent injury run. Pretty happy we got you out of the way last week and more than happy for the tigers to cause some chaos for other finals contenders especially if Lynch and Hopper come back soon.

Hey Meteoric Rise did any of your under 22s Bradbury their way into 27 touches, 3 goals and 2 goal assists? Or did the luck go against them again?
How can you still talk up Dempsey? It took him 27 possessions to get 3 goals. Cumberland did it in 5.

Coaches votes from Saturday night tell an interesting story.

3 best players on the ground - Bowes, Holmes and Dempsey.

Only players from Richmond to poll votes - Baker and Rioli - both have one foot out the door.

Hmmm.
Isn’t it obvious?
Yze is gifting these guys coaches votes in a ploy to keep them.

Wouldn’t be the first time a coach gives his players more coaches votes than they deserved because they had ulterior motives.

It’s a really bad way to assess a players output.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or that Mansell's 24, not 23. Never let the facts get in the way of the story though, right?

Poor old MR is the pensioner who cried wolf here though

I mean seriously, Mansell played well, he doesn't even have to lie, but he does it anyway!!

The Tiges showed some promise last night, and their supporters should be proud of how they went about it.

Problem is, when you've been telling us how well they're going in 119 point losses and denigrating everyone else, it's hard to take you seriously when they finally do look okay.

Hopefully, last nights performance finally squeezed another Richmond kid into the top 40 of his much fabled 'player ratings'....I'm not holding my breath though

View attachment 2012698

View attachment 2012699
Holmes is already one hell of a player.

Or that Mansell's 24, not 23. Never let the facts get in the way of the story though, right?

Poor old MR is the pensioner who cried wolf here though

I mean seriously, Mansell played well, he doesn't even have to lie, but he does it anyway!!

The Tiges showed some promise last night, and their supporters should be proud of how they went about it.

Problem is, when you've been telling us how well they're going in 119 point losses and denigrating everyone else, it's hard to take you seriously when they finally do look okay.

Hopefully, last nights performance finally squeezed another Richmond kid into the top 40 of his much fabled 'player ratings'....I'm not holding my breath though

View attachment 2012698

View attachment 2012699

Geez there's some mingers in that crowd, lucky they're AFL footballers.....

After all of Falcon's attempted trolling about Jeka, he's actually been a really handy performer for us in the VFL....

Not sure the point of recruiting VFL players.

I can see why he was delisted by Hawthorn but I can also see why Geelong gave him another chance. Beautiful kick, reads the ball well and sometimes looks great in the contest. Clearly his best is above VFL level.

But he has some really poor lapses in concentration and they happen too often to just think it's an experience or maturity thing. I doubt he makes it but he has enough talent.

Back