Who has the better prospects?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Black Haze

Debutant
Oct 24, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
West Coast and GWS both plummeted to the bottom 4 in 2022. It signalled the end of an era for both clubs who recently enjoyed an extended stay in the top 8 for several years.

The other clubs around the bottom end of the ladder have all started their rebuilds and are well into them, so I don't think it's fair to compare any of them with West Coast and GWS.

On the other hand, it's safe to say both West Coast and GWS are only just beginning their rebuilds, and it'll be interesting to see how they develop and progress over the next few years or so.

Who has the better prospects and why?

Players over 30
TeamPlayersAverage Games
West Coast7237
GWS6161

Players between 25-29
TeamPlayersAverage Games
West Coast9107
GWS9115

Players between 20-24
TeamPlayersAverage Games
West Coast1638
GWS1929

Players under 20
TeamPlayersAverage Games
West Coast122
GWS101

List profiles are pretty similar
West Coast still with more experience on the list (mainly due to Hurn). Not sure if that helps with a rebuild or not.

I can't believe this is even a question. The answer is always West Coast in the short, medium and long term.

I may have started a thread commenting on West Coast's propensity to turn their toes up and roll over and die when things are going against them but history tells us that they bounce back hard and pretty quickly.

They're from a footy mad state and are far and away the biggest show in town.

GWS are to other AFL clubs what Torro Rosso are to Red Bull in F1, a feeder / nursery / development team.

Let’s have a look at there positions.

Backline
  • Gws- Sam Taylor 23 gun
  • WCE- Tom Barrass- 27 a gun a little older but still at least 4 years of good footy ahead.

They both have rock solid key Backmen there so this is a good thing and can find some others to work around them.
GWS also have Harry Perryman as a small defender/ midfielder who is a jet and is only 24 as well.

Midfield
  • Gws- Tom Green - Gun and has many years ahead of him
  • WCE- ?? Not really sure who fills this spot for west coast in terms of the future. Ginbey could be this man but he is untried.

Forwards
GWS- This is their weak spot they have one of the best small forwards in the game Greene but he is 29. Camden was there big draft pick this year and Riccardi is a talented player as well but have not proven a thing yet.

West Coast-
Oscar Allen is a gun and if he can come back and become a dominant forward it will do wonders for the club. Liam Ryan still has years ahead of him and is dangerous as well.

Rucks- They both struggle for a future here.

So they have good key players in a lot of key positions for the future and the next year and this past years draft will be a huge one in deciding there future.

I think GWS still edges eagles out though in terms of talent.
Coniglio Kelly Whitfield are all amazing players that have about 3-4 years left in the game.

Where Eagles best will be lucky with 2 more years left in the game.

List-wise it’s 50/50 for mine but as Herne Hill Hammer mentioned above the Eagles never stay down for long so I’ll give them the slight nod based on that alone.

You could probably even make the case that neither side has actually fully committed to a good old fashioned rebuild yet - both still have a fair bit of dead wood they’re carrying who won’t be part of their next premiership sides.

List-wise it’s 50/50 for mine but as Herne Hill Hammer mentioned above the Eagles never stay down for long so I’ll give them the slight nod based on that alone.

You could probably even make the case that neither side has actually fully committed to a good old fashioned rebuild yet - both still have a fair bit of dead wood they’re carrying who won’t be part of their next premiership sides.
What year do you predict west coast will make finals? I am curious in your view after reading your post

GWS have had their list ravaged from pillar to post by rival clubs, they have legit reasons/excuses for falling away for reasons beyond their own control.

The Giants do seem to nail most of their draft picks though, something West Coast have not had a great track record of in the past decade or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What year do you predict west coast will make finals? I am curious in your view after reading your post
Given that they seemingly haven’t committed to a Hawthorn-style rebuild and burnt the house down to put the list back together from scratch, it’s hard to say. I don’t think they’ll be as bad as they were in 2022 (like I said, never down for long) but finals still look a fair way off.

I’m a terrible judge though so I won’t go so far as to put a specific year on it.

GWS have had their list ravaged from pillar to post by rival clubs, they have legit reasons/excuses for falling away for reasons beyond their own control.
Absolutely agree. Wasn’t having a go at them, was just trying to answer the question posed in the OP. You’re right that at least some part of their predicament has been outside their control (although plenty of it hasn’t to be fair). Whatever the reason, I just think that their list is in no-man’s land now and it might be a long road back.

T’is a beautifully unpredictable sport though so I’m also very prepared for the possibility that this post will age terribly :$

Giants easily. They have so much draft pick assets they can use or trade away. And still got some qualify kids on their list.

Long way back for the Eagles from here.
All that talent at their disposal but play as individuals.
May change under the new coach ala McCrae at the pies.

Given that they seemingly haven’t committed to a Hawthorn-style rebuild and burnt the house down to put the list back together from scratch, it’s hard to say. I don’t think they’ll be as bad as they were in 2022 (like I said, never down for long) but finals still look a fair way off.

I’m a terrible judge though so I won’t go so far as to put a specific year on it.
Eagles have added a lot of young talent in the last two drafts. I’m always fairly bullish about our prospects, history says we don’t stay down for long, and I think our approach will pay more dividends than Hawthorn’s gutting of practically all experience. I expect to see us in finals in far less than six years.

I can't believe this is even a question. The answer is always West Coast in the short, medium and long term.

I may have started a thread commenting on West Coast's propensity to turn their toes up and roll over and die when things are going against them but history tells us that they bounce back hard and pretty quickly.

They're from a footy mad state and are far and away the biggest show in town.

GWS are to other AFL clubs what Torro Rosso are to Red Bull in F1, a feeder / nursery / development team.
what year do you think West coast will make finals again?

Eagles finished 9th in 2021. Then they dropped badly in 2022. They dropped as badly as freo did in 2016 when they went 0-10 and 4-18.

Eagles can blame corona virus and injuries in 2022.

I do expect eagles to bounce back. I expect the eagles to have a similar season to freo in 2017 or 2018: 8 wins and 14th spot and have pick 5.

I dont see them get bottom 2.

I think West Coast will be a finals side in 6 years.
I think they will make finals in 6 years. that means before 2028. lol

Again.... what year will eagles men's side next make finals?

Eagles longest record of not making finals is 3 years. that was 2008-10.

Eagles finished 9th in 2021, then 17th in 2022. Unlikely they will make finals in 2023. If they do, it would be a 7th or 8th placed finish. Again, I look at the list and it stinks like freos 2017-18 list.

A bunch of good players relied on aged 30 or over, a bunch of kids and not enough quality in that 24-28 year old range.

Back