The 'Recruit'

Remove this Banner Ad

Played against Semmel at under 19 level while he was at Hamton Park in the VAFA. We beat them in the Prelim final to play Ormond in the GF but even as a 16 yr old playing U19s he was still a cut above the rest! All the best to him!

Love Semmel, he is the prototype Victorian kid who's gone through the system.

The bloke who was cut was as tall as old Libba...if you are that height you must have some tricks ..(like Boomer Harvey), Good decision to cut him.
We also have to remember that it is a reality show, they love drama and will milk it for all it's worth .
still worth watching though.

Just watched the replay and I'm still baffled by the decision to de-list Tyrone Armitage over Waylan Manson. Smithy made the wrong call there.

Tyrone's power in his kick and efficiency in the goal kicking challenge wasn't great. But he makes up for his lack of kicking penetration in other areas whereas Manson is really only getting by on his raw ability. Mentally he isn't strong at all and that was proved in the rate your mate challenge where a lot of recruits picked him as the weakest and than he named himself as the weakest. His mental confidence is shot.

After the first episode I rated DJ's playing ability but last night he was an outright sook and potting his fellow team mates after the beep test wasn't neccesary. If he keeps up that attitude he won't win either because his shortcoming will be more visible.

I'll be watching R3 next week with interest.
The captain Smithy made the right call. I'm sure the whole thing is staged but if it wasn't that was a ballsy but right call.

Waylen was never getting cut. He's got more talent than the rest of them combined. He might be lazy but surely he deserves some benefit of the doubt for cultural challenges. The 204cm ruckman wasn't getting cut after one week and why nominate him for being quiet, that's a joke. AFL clubs have quiet guys drafted all the time that end up very good players but not overnight. Then the 3rd guy nominated DJ is the fittest of them and one of the most skilled, he's also got enough size to be an AFL player. He was nominated pretty much because he was being a flog. The captain stepped in and swapped him for a 175cm slow unskilled midfielder. There are no 175cm slow unskilled midfielders in the AFL. (Feel free to name one).

The whole nomination thing is a bit of a joke to create more drama. I'd rather Vossy just pick whoever is worse and get rid of them. I'm pretty sure that's what is happening anyway, Vossy and the producers meet, figure out who either can't play AFL or isn't rating in the show and then manipulate the rest.

The bloke who was cut was as tall as old Libba...if you are that height you must have some tricks ..(like Boomer Harvey), Good decision to cut him.
We also have to remember that it is a reality show, they love drama and will milk it for all it's worth .
still worth watching though.
Yeah it's like an NFL game (or soccer for that matter) you have to watch an hours TV just to see 3 minutes of action. The fitness tests and whenever Burgo talks about AFL fitness, some parts of Vossy's coaching and tiny bits of the drama are worth viewing. Just depends how patient you are or if you get sucked in to reality TV drama. If you don't it's not worth it

The captain Smithy made the right call. I'm sure the whole thing is staged but if it wasn't that was a ballsy but right call.

Waylen was never getting cut. He's got more talent than the rest of them combined. He might be lazy but surely he deserves some benefit of the doubt for cultural challenges. The 204cm ruckman wasn't getting cut after one week and why nominate him for being quiet, that's a joke. AFL clubs have quiet guys drafted all the time that end up very good players but not overnight. Then the 3rd guy nominated DJ is the fittest of them and one of the most skilled, he's also got enough size to be an AFL player. He was nominated pretty much because he was being a flog. The captain stepped in and swapped him for a 175cm slow unskilled midfielder. There are no 175cm slow unskilled midfielders in the AFL. (Feel free to name one).

The whole nomination thing is a bit of a joke to create more drama. I'd rather Vossy just pick whoever is worse and get rid of them. I'm pretty sure that's what is happening anyway, Vossy and the producers meet, figure out who either can't play AFL or isn't rating in the show and then manipulate the rest.

Made for good drama though, obviously the captains vote means something

OR

is it staged so the panel won't have blood on their hands

No Vossy should have made the choice

What did we all think of last nights episode right decision made by Vossy???

The guy was small, couldn't kick (not only lacked accuracy, but had no penetration), and wasn't much of an athlete. The other three in the firing line have a ton more upside. Sure, kind of tough getting outed after not being in the initial bottom three, but that's football I suppose.

Will be surprised if Reece and DJ don't end up among the final three. Can see Reece winning it. Athletic with a heap of untapped potential.

The fitness tests and whenever Burgo talks about AFL fitness, some parts of Vossy's coaching and tiny bits of the drama are worth viewing.

Not only is this stuff interesting for the average viewer, but it also provides a bit more insight for young players into what recruiters and AFL clubs look for. Would be good if there was a bit more emphasis on this, even just showing some more of that 'War Room' discussion between Voss, Burgess and Dixon.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's done nothing but back it up so far.

I love his attitude personally.
You can be humble and an excellent footballer without being a douche. Lenny Hayes, Jono Brown, Robert Harvey, Chris Grant etc etc all ha every reason to be arrogant but earnt respect by going the other way.

You can be humble and an excellent footballer without being a douche. Lenny Hayes, Jono Brown, Robert Harvey, Chris Grant etc etc all ha every reason to be arrogant but earnt respect by going the other way.

I don't see why you have to be humble, especially in a competition where you're out to prove that you're better than others.

Dj/Jackel/Wagner are the obvious ones for the final few.. I reckon Semmel is the smoky, he could come into an AFL environment and really improve in leaps and bounds ( motor and speed) as I don't think finding the footy would be an issue.

Call me old fashioned, but sharing a partner is just wrong. Would you want some other guy banging your misses?
Yeah, I have nothing against it morally, however it isn't something I'd care to share.

Vossy was spot on with his decision. But to be brutally honest, I'm not totally sure how the hell he got on the show, and a few others to be honest. I won't wreck it for others but I know the final 4, all 4 boys have recorded endings as the winner which is strange but no-one knows who has actually gone through.

Waylan shouldn't be there full stop, I don't care what color your skin is, what country you're born, if your Italian/Arab/Aussie whatever, anyone with the attitude that he has should be punted before his negativity has an adverse effect on the rest of the guys. Before we know it the show will become based around Waylan and trying to hep him adapt rather than the efforts of the guys who have a passion to play AFL footy.

It makes me sick. Oh and the guy with nail polish... Oh dear.

Watching Waylen Manson go through the Leading Teams session made me think of the comments Matt Randall made about the Aboriginal players coming down from the bush. Got a bit of an insight on his observations there, and in the cut throat environment of an AFL team, not a reality TV show, you can imagine why a lot of these guys can't make it. Waylen himself struggled at Draft Camp back in 2011 and went back home. I doubt any of the other potential draftees talked him into staying there like that "Smithy" guy did. At the behest of the producers of the TV I cynically think.

For the ones that do make it, respect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back