The 'Recruit'

Remove this Banner Ad

Like I mentioned briefly on the Suns board... We knew who he was going to pick Port so nothing we could if said was gonna work.

Props to Sheeds for giving it a crack though, He had me convinced. Wily old bugger.
Why did you bother pitching in the first place then?

Sheedy was impressive, though. I really liked his line of "I'm a huge believer of this show and would like to take you under my wing". He also said Johann had a spot in the team! I think he might regret the decision to go to Port in two years time.

Sheedy was impressive, though. I really liked his line of "I'm a huge believer of this show and would like to take you under my wing". He also said Johann had a spot in the team! I think he might regret the decision to go to Port in two years time.
Good luck to him & i hope it works out but jee he has an uphill challenge to make our side, there is some really good kids at port yet to debut & he's only a rookie lister.

Good luck to him & i hope it works out but jee he has an uphill challenge to make our side, there is some really good kids at port yet to debut & he's only a rookie lister.
If Bradie won, I could see him playing senior footy at a number of clubs. There are very few elite Ruckman in the game, it would only take a couple of injuries and he would be thrown to the wolves. I think the right player won, however the player with the most opportunity certainly didn't.

Would say a fair bit about the quality of the AFL if this guy amounted to anything

I dont think too many top line sporting leagues around the world (NFL, NBA, EPL) would have contests like this
Best of luck to him though

There's a movie based the actual events of the Philly Eagles doing something very similar.

If Bradie won, I could see him playing senior footy at a number of clubs. There are very few elite Ruckman in the game, it would only take a couple of injuries and he would be thrown to the wolves. I think the right player won, however the player with the most opportunity certainly didn't.
Yeah I'd agree with that. The clubs voted as who was the worthy winner, but that didn't mean they would have picked him to join there side. I'd say they would look at Bradie and think with a year or 2 on a rookie list he could become anything

Interesting array of selectors/presidents/coaches etc. there.

You'd have to think the fact Paul Roos was there he was either forced to be there by fox or they were legitimately interested in one of the other guys.

Yes, but amateurs get paid NOTHING. That's pretty well the definition of being an amateur.

Yes, but a pie and a can of coke makes someone semi pro too. Don't get caught up in the pure definition of amateur as nearly all players drafted are. Even those that may get paid something still need to work and earn a living so aren't competing in the game as a professional until they are drafted.

Now, do the rest of the players have to potentially get drafted in the conventional way, or do they still qualify as cat B rookie listing chances?

Reece would(?), Bradie won't due to playing his 10 games(?)

o_O?

Well we didn't know Port wanted Yoey when we said yes to drafting him, Obviously.

As soon as Port gave the literal green light it was all over red rover.

Depends on how trade week pans out we may just sign Bradie up ala Padrig, Looks similar to Gorringe.

I was surprised that only 3 clubs were interested in drafting him, it's obvious his preference would of been Port but I don't understand why you wouldn't at least put your hand up? why didn't Adelaide have a crack? win zero battles you don't fight and all that...

If this kid goes on to play 150 games I would be pissed If I was an Adelaide supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even though Yoey was the obvious best prospect I was waiting for the clubs to vote in Bradie on the pure fact that nobody but Port were going to get Yoey. The only way he wouldn't have gone to Port is if they didn't green light it. With Kosh there that was never going to happen as he loves to the exposure.

Interesting now to see if one or more of the other recruits put their hands up and enter the trade system this year and if so who get's picked up.

Not at all. Amateurs don't get paid.

Furthermore, it's very likely Morlo and Wagner were making reasonable coin.

Every player drafted into the AFL is a semi-professional.

You went too far in the other direction. A lot of players drafted are semi-professional. A lot are amateur (TAC Cup, VAFA, etc).

All those saying he won't make it may be correct, but people are forgetting that Darren Burgess, the highest paid performance manager in the AFL (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...comes-highest-paid-in-afl-20140617-zsajj.html) studied and coached this kid for 10 weeks, and being the Port fitness coach, would have a pretty good understanding if he had the tools required at the top level.

He wouldn't have recommended Port take him at all if he didn't think there was a chance he would make it, would have been a waste of their time and they would have let him slip to one of the expansion clubs.

Last edited:
Even though Yoey was the obvious best prospect I was waiting for the clubs to vote in Bradie on the pure fact that nobody but Port were going to get Yoey. The only way he wouldn't have gone to Port is if they didn't green light it. With Kosh there that was never going to happen as he loves to the exposure.

Interesting now to see if one or more of the other recruits put their hands up and enter the trade system this year and if so who get's picked up.
Port Adelaide is making every post a winner at the moment. It's reasonable to suggest that the young man probably won't go on to become anything meaningful in the AFL and is likely to be SANFL fodder for the duration of his contract, however, there will be continued public interest in his career and the media will pander to that.

Port Adelaide has worked a PR coup. They get nation wide exposure for a rookie contract. That's an astute business move.

Port Adelaide is making every post a winner at the moment. It's reasonable to suggest that the young man probably won't go on to become anything meaningful in the AFL and is likely to be SANFL fodder for the duration of his contract, however, there will be continued public interest in his career and the media will pander to that.

Port Adelaide has worked a PR coup. They get nation wide exposure for a rookie contract. That's an astute business move.
Yeah but the best player in the series is also from Port Lincoln and had a letter he wrote as a kid saying he'd play for Port. Having Burgess on the show helped his chances, but it's hardly like Port did anything great to make it happen.

I also think due to being such a quick rebuild that Port's list is actually a bit lighter on than most people realise. That was evident when they had a few injuries mid year. Much like Hawthorn being a standout young team in 08 then tumbling in 09 due to injuries throwing the list out of whack. If Wagner gets in decent SANFL form I'd say he's a chance to play. Not tipping on a long career for him but on even odds I'd be going with yes he does play an AFL game.

Port Adelaide off the field have been fantastic and it has earn't them what they are achieving on the field. They effectively stole Ebert and Polec, they have drafted well in Wines and Wingard, they nailed the FA signing of White, they got Monfries for nothing and have made him a player. Everything they are touching has turned to gold and I would not be the least bit surprised if this kid kicks 50+ goals as a medium forward in the next 2 years.

Remember two years ago when they were basket cases?

A lot of Geelong West Saints flavour in the final episode. The Wilston Grange treasurer Brett Gillett played juniors with me at Geelong West-St Peters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back