The 'Recruit'

GWSP

Team Captain
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Surely they'd be looking at making him into more of an Isaac Smith type? Porpoise is more of a small forward, Yoey is definitely a third tall with running ability. Initially would play as a high half forward type, then after a few preseasons could move as a run and carry mid? Think Porplyzia is a terrible comparison.

Poprz plays like a third tall. have you not seen his marking ability?

No way Wagner develops a running game like Smith. Moreland has more chance of playing like an Issac Smith than Wagner.

Wagner has played as a KPF all his career from what has been said of his game. He's not going to become a run and carry onballer.

MotleyLemon

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
Poprz plays like a third tall. have you not seen his marking ability?

No way Wagner develops a running game like Smith. Moreland has more chance of playing like an Issac Smith than Wagner.

Wagner has played as a KPF all his career from what has been said of his game. He's not going to become a run and carry onballer.

He already runs a 14+ beep having only done 9 weeks of "AFL standard" training.

He's way faster than Porpoise ever was, and 10+cm taller?

Suspect he'll start at HF, before ending up as a wing/hb if he can cut the mustard. Repeat sprints are his thing.

Suspect 8-10 years ago he would have been seen as similar to Sean Rusling, and tried to be made into a third "key" forward.

Nowadays it's all about leading up, and going back twice as hard on the counter.

SwampRat

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2008
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd, Liverpool
I suspect offering Wagner a place was a very easy choice for Port. It costs us nothing. AFL pays wages and doesn't use a spot on the main list or primary rookie list.

Chances are he'll never get a game in the seniors, but given that Port are extremely limited in how we can recruit for the reserves (i.e. The Magpies), at the very least we've bolstered the Magpies for free. At best, we might develop an AFL standard player.

Easy as.

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I suspect offering Wagner a place was a very easy choice for Port. It costs us nothing. AFL pays wages and doesn't use a spot on the main list or primary rookie list.

Chances are he'll never get a game in the seniors, but given that Port are extremely limited in how we can recruit for the reserves (i.e. The Magpies), at the very least we've bolstered the Magpies for free. At best, we might develop an AFL standard player.

Easy as.

Exactly right. Which is why surely a few of these other guys will get a shot at other clubs.

GWSP

Team Captain
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Brisbane and Colingwood interested in Moreland and a third team he wont divulge.

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
We all know Wagner signed with Port on the night and Lucey is now a Geelong 'B' Grade Rookie but what would be the process for a club wanting to draft another recruit player.

Wouldn't mind West Coast at least showing interest in Chris Moreland. Would cost us a national draft selection i presume?

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
this show reminded me of The Ultimate Fighter. Winner guaranteed a contract... but as we see in TUF lots of blokes in each series end up in the UFC

I reckon this will be the same... wouldnt surprise me to see half a dozen or so end up on rookie lists

Doubt there'd be half a dozen. I read somewhere that a club was having a serious look at Maxwell and you probably can't rule out Moreland or Foster, but I don't think any of the others are up to it right now. Maybe Goss, if he tears up the VFL next year.

Sep 11, 2006
MCG
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why did you bother pitching in the first place then?

Sheedy was impressive, though. I really liked his line of "I'm a huge believer of this show and would like to take you under my wing". He also said Johann had a spot in the team! I think he might regret the decision to go to Port in two years time.

Gold Coast and GWS are AFL run, so they were made to pitch for the suspense of it all. The result was clearly known as Kochie wasnt there for a cup of tea and had clearly rehearsed his speech, which mind you was a ripper.

dvas987

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2011
Pyongyang
AFL Club
Carlton
Just saw this, I wonder if they knew Padraig had signed for Geelong at the time

image.jpg

Didn't watch this til today, but I'm still reeling that Morelo is over 6 foot. He looked about 5 ft 8 on the show.

It's incredible how people like Bradie can throw off your sense of height - you're used to guys who are 6 ft 2 being giants, surrounded by 'short' people who are 5 ft 9. Throw a 6 ft 9 player into the mix, and suddenly everyone else looks like they're tiny.

I remember being astonished when I found out Luke Hodge was over 6 ft.

GWSP

Team Captain
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Didn't watch this til today, but I'm still reeling that Morelo is over 6 foot. He looked about 5 ft 8 on the show.

I'm close to 6ft and when I stand next to Moreland he's a few inches tallers than me. He'd be around 6ft 2 in my estimations.

coryne

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 15, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Quick question about the show. The winner (and by the sounds of it a couple of other contestants too) were able to choose an AFL side to be "recruited" by as a Cat B Rookie (e.g. Rookie with no background in the AFL for x number of years). This is the same category that international rookies, or those from other backgrounds (e.g Athletes such as Blicavs or Basketball such as Wood for the Pies) are rookied as. In each occasion the player doesn't go through a draft, but instead he goes straight to the club of their choice.

I only bring this up after reading Slobbo's (comical) article against Ed and "The Recruit" TV show. Here he finishes his article by saying

All of me says Eddie McGuire can’t complain about not having an uncompromised competition in any fashion, when he’s making money from a TV show which absolutely compromised the integrity of the national draft.

Does he REALLY not realize that ALL rookies drafted under this category choose their club of choice???

Back