The 'Recruit'

Remove this Banner Ad

He wasn't good enough. I doubt he would have got a game anywhere.
Correct, averaging 8 disposals and kicked 10.8 goals in 13 games for port adelaides reserve side -the magpies league side in the SANFL. Might be a handy goal sneak but I agree definatley not good enough for afl level. At least he will be a celebrity for doing the right things though

not really surprising really, when you consider the selection criteria. Not being on an AFL list or played in a state-level comp. You are really asking a recruit winner to improve so much that they leapfrog beyond the level of many very good footballers playing at state level.

If they really intend to go forward with this concept, they need to relax the criteria, so that the winner is really capable of success at AFL level.

I never watched a minute of it, you could tell from the Promos this was never going to legitimatize somebody to an AFL player.

They'd be better off sticking to a format that reality televisions producers know and they would also get higher ratings.

Maybe the "Wagchelor", a series of single AFL players vying for love of a used-up model and AFL groupie.

I never watched a minute of it, you could tell from the Promos this was never going to legitimatize somebody to an AFL player.

They'd be better off sticking to a format that reality televisions producers know and they would also get higher ratings.

Maybe the "Wagchelor", a series of single AFL players vying for love of a used-up model and AFL groupie.
Pretty sure the ratings were outstanding. They'd be more than happy with the interest in the format.

not really surprising really, when you consider the selection criteria. Not being on an AFL list or played in a state-level comp. You are really asking a recruit winner to improve so much that they leapfrog beyond the level of many very good footballers playing at state level.

If they really intend to go forward with this concept, they need to relax the criteria, so that the winner is really capable of success at AFL level.

that is basically it. They should do it over summer with 15 WAFL / SANFL / VFL players who have hit 20 without being picked up. Should be an opportunity for the next Podsiadly / Barlow.... Not a straightup crap shoot.

They should move them around the country and spend a day here and there at actual AFL preseason training, throwing them into match sims as top up fodder.

Do it with the US guys!

Follow them around the camps over in the States and then bring the top 18-20 over to compete.

Each week they do a challenge/training at each AFL club culminating in joing the previous season's premiers for a match simulation.

Then at the end a winner is declared and he can sign to whichever team he likes while the rest go into the draft to take their chances.

Always said the only way clubs will really be interested is if you get the best high level athletes from Ireland, Europe, America, New Zealand, PNG, South Africa and China and teach them skills etc.

I'd rather see what a 200cm+ guy from the US can do or maybe some crazy endurance athlete from Africa or just the pocket rockets from PNG can do rather than see the next Chris Moreland who has no realistic chance of forging a career in the afl.

Always said the only way clubs will really be interested is if you get the best high level athletes from Ireland, Europe, America, New Zealand, PNG, South Africa and China and teach them skills etc.

I'd rather see what a 200cm+ guy from the US can do or maybe some crazy endurance athlete from Africa or just the pocket rockets from PNG can do rather than see the next Chris Moreland who has no realistic chance of forging a career in the afl.
Yep agreed. Would be much better viewing.

It is easy to look up online players stats in their league they play in.

For instance, Reece Maxwell looks like he played 9 games of WAFL reserves for Claremont and then not for rest of season?

Waylon Manson looks like he played one game of VFL for frankston and one for their development team and then not at all? (anyone know what happened?)

Tyrone Armitage seems to have done the best apart from Padraig, playing 10 games VFL for Northern Blues, but his stats certainly didnt set the world on fire, nor did he kick many goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I enjoyed it last time it was on. I was expecting some light entertainment and that's what I got. Just cause the first winner didn't make it doesn't mean that there aren't any rough diamonds out there who haven't played state footy and could make it.

For it to work, I think they either need to include state league players or build the format around athletes who haven't played a lot of footy before (converts from other sports/countries). I don't think having Lucey and the American bloke worked out because in terms of footballing ability they were so far behind the others, and that made elements of the competition somewhat farcical. It could be a show dedicated to finding the next Mark Blicavs or Jim Stynes, but I don't think it works as well when you couple those types in with people who have been playing the game their entire lives.

Wagner should have chosen an expansion club from the start in my opinion. Interested to see what comes of season 2 in 2016

I celebrated when he chose Port, but when we delisted him a week ago I wished for his sake that he'd instead chosen someone other than us..
He might be playing season 2016 if he had.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back