The reimagination of Mitch Marsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon if you went back a few years on here, and in general public - no Australian cricketer was ridiculed as much as Mitch Marsh.

I'd even say it got as far as loathing in certain quarters.

Compare that to now and I reckon he's the most likeable cricketer in the Australian setup.

It truly is a remarkable turn around in perception from the public, with not really much change in his character.

I think of blokes like Agassi, Buckley who changed their perception, but they also changed their behaviour.

Marsh has been the same bloke all the way through, (at least for over a decade) and whilst his performances have improved - the person hasn't changed.

If you ever get the chance - listen to his interview on the Howie Games. Genuine legend.

Reckon if you went back a few years on here, and in general public - no Australian cricketer was ridiculed as much as Mitch Marsh.

I'd even say it got as far as loathing in certain quarters.

Compare that to now and I reckon he's the most likeable cricketer in the Australian setup.

It truly is a remarkable turn around in perception from the public, with not really much change in his character.

I think of blokes like Agassi, Buckley who changed their perception, but they also changed their behaviour.

Marsh has been the same bloke all the way through, (at least for over a decade) and whilst his performances have improved - the person hasn't changed.

If you ever get the chance - listen to his interview on the Howie Games. Genuine legend.

As a non Aussie fan I’m probably not going to have been considered as being ‘in that majority’ anyway but I can honestly say I never got the dislike for he or his brother. They don’t pick themselves obviously - Shaun kept going back to Shield and scoring runs so he was earning his spot, and Mitch was potentially what Australia had been looking for since basically 2005. I did feel that in comparison to guys like Luke Butterworth who never even got considered for Australia as an all rounder despite being a legitimately test class (statistically) bowler alone, Mitch was a little fortunate to jump the queue, like Henriques before him, but he never struck me as a dick head or anything other than a really solid cricketer who had an exceptional talent for hitting the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back