Toast The Renaissance of Ollie Wines

Remove this Banner Ad

Inb4 he gets 2 votes in the games we win and an opposition player gets the 3.
The more common one is Port get the 1 and 3 votes, opposition player gets the 2. Yet the flip side of a Port player getting in the votes in a loss is much much rarer.

Umpires suffer recency bias, so if a player does very well later in the game after an average first half they are much more likely to get in the votes than doing very well in the first half and average in the second. So taking the foot off our opponents throats in last quarters - a Port speciality both under Hinkley and Choco - often has given the umpires a skewed impression of who was dominant. I'll always argue Choco's infamous easing off in last quarters let opponents steal 1 and 2 votes in the year Wanganeen was 1 vote off a second Brownlow. With this the reason he just missed out. The same easing off (though not exactly for the same reasons) is likely to cost Wines a real chance this year.

Wines kicks important goals all the time. The thing he needs to do is not let good teams get a jump on us in the first qtr.
He does need to do that I agree, but for context he has kicked 4 goals this year. That’s not all the time, even if he could get his average up to a goal a game, that’s what will put him in that upper echelon that was mentioned in my eyes. The comparison I made in bont has kicked 18 at an average of 1.4.

He does need to do that I agree, but for context he has kicked 4 goals this year. That’s not all the time, even if he could get his average up to a goal a game, that’s what will put him in that upper echelon that was mentioned in my eyes. The comparison I made in bont has kicked 18 at an average of 1.4.
Bont is the best player in the league by far right now on form. He also spends a lot more time playing forward than Ollie does. It's like expecting Ollie to kick has many goals as Robbie Gray. Of course he won't, one is a full time mid and one is a 50/50 forward mid.

Bont is the best player in the league by far right now on form. He also spends a lot more time playing forward than Ollie does. It's like expecting Ollie to kick has many goals as Robbie Gray. Of course he won't, one is a full time mid and one is a 50/50 forward mid.
Yeah, Ollie plays a different type of game to Bont, who while he undoubtedly is a great player, is also helped by having 4 elite midfielders feeding him.

I know this, the argument came around trying to get Ollie to be one of the best few players in the league. Bont is clear number 1 this year in my view. All those guys that have had massive seasons like Martin, Dangerfield, bont this year etc all were midfielders that added a forward element to their game that elevated them to the absolute elite. I think Ollie is a great mid, and does what he does very well, but i think that if he wants to be in that company developing forward craft is important. It’s something he should be able to do as well with his size and ability overhead.

Ollie burned it a bit tonight but 43 disposals, 23 contested possessions, 13 clearances, 8 inside 50s, 7 tackles and 6 score involvements.

Best on ground by a street.

He has been a behemoth this year. Quadzilla has grown up.

Ollie may have burned it a bit but he was putting his body into everything.

I mean, Roger James' first quarter against St Kilda in the 2004 Prelim has become a thing of legend on this board and he burned pretty much every disposal he had, so cut Ollie some slack is what i'm saying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ollie would have to be up there with the Bont.

Although Boak may have taken some votes I think Macrae and Smith would have taken a few off the Bont in early rounds.

It may come down to Rd 23.

I truly think Ollie has a decent chance at the brownlow. Even in our losses he has a good chance of a vote or 2.

Bont will win the brownlow but Darcy Parish is coming home like a freight train and is likely to surpass Ollie unfortunately.

Parish is averaging 36.2 disposals since round 7 and has won just about every medal in basically every prime time match (cause Essendon).

Ollie burned it a bit tonight but 43 disposals, 23 contested possessions, 13 clearances, 8 inside 50s, 7 tackles and 6 score involvements.

Just don’t let him water ski

An inside mids triple double. I wonder if those are the most outstanding triple double figures this season. Or even longer? 3 more tackles and it would have been a quadruple double. Needs to lift his work rate...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back