Toast The Renaissance of Travis Boak

Remove this Banner Ad

Herald Sun has a story about Boak being ranked 2nd to Lachie Neale by Champion Data's ranking formula for this years brownlow voting so far.

Don't give a s**t about the brownlow but it reveals how bad his injury was last year and how dedicated and disciplined he was to get over the injury. Reading between the lines looks like the 10 week shutdown has probably helped that recovery.

Travis Boak has emerged as runaway Brownlow Medal favourite Lachie Neale’s biggest threat just seven games after complicated post-season surgery left him contemplating retirement. Port Adelaide and GWS, along with the defunct University, are the only clubs that have never produced a Brownlow winner but Champion Data has the former Power captain second to Neale after Round 7.

The Port Adelaide star injured his shoulder in July last year and what was supposed to be a 30-minute operation dragged on for 2 ½ hours as surgeons discovered torn tendons in the 31-year-old. Boak also had his knee cleaned as retirement started to weigh on his mind after 264 games in 13 seasons.

“I just had no power,” Boak said. “There was definitely stages there where I thought I couldn’t get back. “Whether that was through the pain (or) through the fact I felt like I was never going to get strength in my shoulder again … I couldn’t move it for a month.

Boak spent eight weeks in a sling and 10 weeks after surgery he still couldn’t raise his arm above his head. But the damaging midfielder went California dreaming, with a training camp in Santa Cruz teaching Boak to operate his body in more efficiently. Boak and teammate Charlie Dixon began to lift greater weights while burning less energy and altered their posture and running mechanics so they could move quicker with less fatigue. It was the fourth-straight year Boak headed to the US for an off-season camp.

Boak – who has Theodore Roosevelt’s quote ‘Man in the Arena’ scribbled on his boots – has kicked brilliant opening goals from the Gabba pockets to ignite his ladder-topping team in the past two weeks.

The veteran leads Port Adelaide for disposals (22 average), contested possessions 9.7), metres gained (370), clearances (5) and is equal-first for tackles (4.4). Boak’s 46 score involvements also ranks No. 2 in the AFL, behind only Tom Hawkins (Geelong), while he is averaging a career-high 113 SuperCoach points. But Boak is still rated a $21 outsider for the Brownlow Medal.

For those interested in the brownlow this is how many votes SD have allocated to the top 5.
1. Lachie Neale (BL) 11.4 votes
2. Travis Boak (PA) 7.9
3. Patrick Cripps (Carl) 7.3
4. Patrick Dangerfield (Gee) 6.8
5. Matthew Rowell (GC) 6.5

The opening words of the above story links to this long story about Boak in mid April that I missed, and at the end he talks about his relationship with Steven Salopek still being linked and mates to this day as Salopek helped Boak handle his father's death, being away from family and the rigours of AFL footy when he started.

Power star Travis Boak talks isolation, personal motivation and his special bond with former teammate Steven Salopek that lives on at Alberton

Three weeks ago Travis Boak did something very un-Travis Boak like. Port Adelaide’s reigning club champion – who is so meticulous with his preparation and physical condition that he even put a recovery sauna in his backyard – went to the fridge, cracked a beer and sat on the couch. For a week. “Once we found out the season was postponed, the first week for me was about switching off and getting my head around what was going on,” Boak told The Advertiser.

“I didn’t have anything planned, I just had a week where I ate what I want, had a couple of beers and played PlayStation, and let the mind relax.

Premiership or not, when Boak finishes his career, how well prepared the young guns are to take over will be part of his legacy. “That’s the higher purpose of why we’re doing what we’re doing,” he said. “The dream is to win a flag, but if we can leave the club in a really good place, build the culture for these guys to take forward is something we can be really proud of whether we win a flag or not.”

Boak’s motivation to help his young teammates is driven by memories of what Steven Salopek did for him when he first arrived at Port Adelaide from Victoria in 2006. “He (Salopek) was the first one I really connected with, we had a simliar backstory losing a parent, and he was one who took me in early days,” Boak said.

“I stayed with him in my first year before Christmas and he welcomed me into his house, and as a player and the way he trained, how hard he worked, and as a genuine person and the care he had for people was something I admired. “That’s what I learnt from him.

“You learn your skills and craft if you put your mind to it, but you can learn from other people as well if you keep your eyes open to it. “I was very fortunate to learn from Sal in that aspect and I’ll be extremely grateful for that forever. “He has helped me understand that football isn’t everything and being a good person, being part of society and helping people if one of, if not the most, important thing.”

Supposedly Boak will be around for the rest of this year plus 2 more - if the body holds up I guess. Will be great for him to get to 300. He's on 271 at the moment. 10 + say 2 finals + 22 means he could get there at end of 2021 if he doesn't pick up injuries. His resigning was announced March 16th this year.

PORT ADELAIDE midfielder Travis Boak has extended his tenure with the club after agreeing to terms on a two-year contract extension. Boak is the club’s reigning John Cahill Medallist after a 2019 season in which he played 21 games and averaged 30 disposals and seven clearances. The 31-year-old is third on the all-time list for AFL games played for the club with 264 in his 13 seasons so far. The midfielder is a two-time best and fairest winner and was named in the All-Australian side in 2013 and 2014.

His re-signing will see him stay at the club until the end of 2022 and comes just days after Robbie Gray recommitted to the club until the end of 2021.

Love this guy what he does away from football is truly amazing.
He used to come see a friend of mine in hospital and then even to her house when she was out just spreading love.
I was also very sick but didn't want a visit as a middle aged man I thought his time was better spent elsewhere.
I did get a Guernsey with a personal message from boaky which was awesome I really need to get it framed and on display.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love this guy what he does away from football is truly amazing.
He used to come see a friend of mine in hospital and then even to her house when she was out just spreading love.
I was also very sick but didn't want a visit as a middle aged man I thought his time was better spent elsewhere.
I did get a Guernsey with a personal message from boaky which was awesome I really need to get it framed and on display.

He is just a class act as a person and a footballer. I would love for him to be a surprise Brownlow winner even though I think it is unlikely. He embodies what they had in mind when they came up with the award.

Yeah, just Boaky things until Neale goes and does it too. Big fan of Neale but he's going to cost Trav the Brownlow and it's really annoying.

Trav's teammates won't help his cause either. Not sure how you can't also give votes to Robbie, Butters, Ladhams and Wines after a game like that.

In a post match interview yesterday, a couple of times Trav talked about the game being fun. He just looked so relaxed and happy after the game. I think the last time I heard him talk like this was back in 2014. He is playing as well as he ever has and looks to be enjoying everything about the other players and his own game. Great to see.

This bloke what a 🌟 Barrett has given him a fair write up on the AFL website. He has been huge for this club but people are forgetting how good he was last yr as well.
Such a legend off the field and the level he holds himself to has rubbed off on SPP and big Charles.
Deserves a Brownlow and a flag or 2.

TRAVIS Boak has been in the AFL system for 14 seasons. His impact on his team has never been more profound than 2020.

It is testament to him that after 275 matches, two Virgin Australia AFL All-Australian jackets, two Port Adelaide best and fairests and a power of work in making teammates both better players and people that his most telling work is coming in this most extraordinary of AFL years.

The 2020 premiership is going to be won by the team with the most resilient players. There are none more resilient nor loyal than Boak.

There are far younger men at the Power who are helping to influence and shape a very special season for this proud football club. Connor Rozee, Xavier Duursma and Zak Butters are special, emerging talents. And the man with the most presence on an AFL ground when he is fully fit, Charlie Dixon, is having a massive year.

Regardless, Port Adelaide versus Geelong on Friday will be massive. The ladder leader against a team beautifully positioned for a high-end finals berth, yet again. Boak's team versus the one based in the region in which he was raised, and the one which was so desperate to lure him back that in the 2012 season, Jimmy Bartel, Joel Selwood and coach Chris Scott brazenly flew into Adelaide like gunslingers from a western movie to convince him to do so.

Boak said no, and became Port Adelaide captain the next season. In 2020, two seasons after he chose to stand down as official captain of the Power, he has never led his men better.

TRAVIS Boak has been in the AFL system for 14 seasons. His impact on his team has never been more profound than 2020.

It is testament to him that after 275 matches, two Virgin Australia AFL All-Australian jackets, two Port Adelaide best and fairests and a power of work in making teammates both better players and people that his most telling work is coming in this most extraordinary of AFL years.

The 2020 premiership is going to be won by the team with the most resilient players. There are none more resilient nor loyal than Boak.

There are far younger men at the Power who are helping to influence and shape a very special season for this proud football club. Connor Rozee, Xavier Duursma and Zak Butters are special, emerging talents. And the man with the most presence on an AFL ground when he is fully fit, Charlie Dixon, is having a massive year.

Regardless, Port Adelaide versus Geelong on Friday will be massive. The ladder leader against a team beautifully positioned for a high-end finals berth, yet again. Boak's team versus the one based in the region in which he was raised, and the one which was so desperate to lure him back that in the 2012 season, Jimmy Bartel, Joel Selwood and coach Chris Scott brazenly flew into Adelaide like gunslingers from a western movie to convince him to do so.

Boak said no, and became Port Adelaide captain the next season. In 2020, two seasons after he chose to stand down as official captain of the Power, he has never led his men better.

200.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back