The Report/MRP Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I just realised that I’ve been conflating Christian and Hocking for this entire suspension.

I wonder who would “win” this poll:

Who is more incompetent?

a) Michael Christian
b) Steve Hocking
Universe implosion.

Not sure if it has been discussed before, but doesn't it seem ironic that it was with Collingwood that we traded down in the draft to enable us to get both Sheed and Yeo into the club?
You campaigners know what happened next :D

Plus we gave them the Grundy pick. Classic stitch up

I just realised that I’ve been conflating Christian and Hocking for this entire suspension.

I wonder who would “win” this poll:

Who is more incompetent?

a) Michael Christian
b) Steve Hocking
Hocking easily. Christian isn't that bright, simply has hockos arm up his arse playing puppet.

Look i'm glad that Yeo got off but it is extremely reassuring knowing that Christian reviews each game going through hours of footage from 5 - 6 different camera angles for every time there is a ball up and a player pushes the chest of the player that is on them to check that a) hand was in closed fist b) made contact with the head. It must be a grueling task but we should be thankful that someone is doing it right?

Especially seeing as when 2 players tangle in any situation he has to have the players height weight with him so he can work out the differential and calculate if the player made an error.

I look forward to the next grainy grassy knoll footage that enabled a definitive decision to suspend someone for 1 game based on it.

Look i'm glad that Yeo got off but it is extremely reassuring knowing that Christian reviews each game going through hours of footage from 5 - 6 different camera angles for every time there is a ball up and a player pushes the chest of the player that is on them to check that a) hand was in closed fist b) made contact with the head. It must be a grueling task but we should be thankful that someone is doing it right?

Especially seeing as when 2 players tangle in any situation he has to have the players height weight with him so he can work out the differential and calculate if the player made an error.

I look forward to the next grainy grassy knoll footage that enabled a definitive decision to suspend someone for 1 game based on it.
I found the formula
1595989990191.png

To be fair to him it could have been brought to his attention by any of the umpires. Surely its in their match debrief - "Was there any incidents you feel the MRO should review?"
Maybe an ump saw it for the corner of his eye but wasn't really sure what happened so didn't pay a free kick. Maybe a boundary, goal, 4th ump or the guy that sits on the tablet counting interchanges saw it! Maybe Wills mentioned something to an ump straight after it happened.
I think in this case it is far more likely someone brought it to his attention rather than him scrutinizing hours worth of footage.

To be fair to him it could have been brought to his attention by any of the umpires. Surely its in their match debrief - "Was there any incidents you feel the MRO should review?"
Maybe an ump saw it for the corner of his eye but wasn't really sure what happened so didn't pay a free kick. Maybe a boundary, goal, 4th ump or the guy that sits on the tablet counting interchanges saw it! Maybe Wills mentioned something to an ump straight after it happened.
I think in this case it is far more likely someone brought it to his attention rather than him scrutinizing hours worth of footage.

I'm not so sure about this.

If the umpire felt it was worthy of the MRO looking at it they would have two options in real time on the ground, either reporting them, or paying a free kick, but in this case they did neither.

We also know that Collingwood did not refer the incident, otherwise they would have completed a medical report.

What is clear is Michael Christian looks at every game with a fine tooth comb, and obviously spends a lot of time inspecting incidents where players initiate contact with one another.

He has either been directed or taken it upon himself to come down like a ton of bricks on any contact with the head/face and clubs/players should be very conscious of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I don't honestly believe he does that. Thats what makes it so funny.
So regardless of the way it was brought to him umpire...opposition...AFL rep at ground or whatever, there was not clear enough footage to make a definitive call one way or the other. But he made it and thats what makes it a bullshit decision. And if you did look at every ball up there would be hundreds of incidents to check per game as to whether one of those push offs was made with a closed fist and did it slip high if you are going to suspend someone based on that. Which we know he wouldn't. There wouldn't be enough time in the day to do so.

Ultimately I believe he has a hard on for looking at our games to find something and I think its fairly self evident now with the soft suspensions that have neutrals asking WTF culminating in this doozy where he has apparently seen something that no one else could say happened worth of an automatic 1 game.

I'm not so sure about this.

If the umpire felt it was worthy of the MRO looking at it they would have two options in real time on the ground, either reporting them, or paying a free kick, but in this case they did neither.

We also know that Collingwood did not refer the incident, otherwise they would have completed a medical report.

What is clear is Michael Christian looks at every game with a fine tooth comb, and obviously spends a lot of time inspecting incidents where players initiate contact with one another.

He has either been directed or taken it upon himself to come down like a ton of bricks on any contact with the head/face and clubs/players should be very conscious of that.
There’s no way this bloke has that much time on his hands. Our game finished at 3:30-4:00 on Sunday arvo and Yeo’s suspension was handed out Monday arvo at a similar time.

Carlton and Norf finished at about 1:30 on Saturday and there were 3 other games between that and our game plus Melbourne and Brissie after ours. Total of 6 games to review over a 48 hour period including non dominant coverage camera angles. 4 hours minimum to review each one thoroughly, surely no ones doing that. He must have been tipped off somehow.

Other options would include him not being the only one reviewing games but being the spokesperson and one responsible.. or him not actually watching the games once through and just sitting there rewinding and fast forwarding every contest while the game is on.

Yeah I don't honestly believe he does that. Thats what makes it so funny.
So regardless of the way it was brought to him umpire...opposition...AFL rep at ground or whatever, there was not clear enough footage to make a definitive call one way or the other. But he made it and thats what makes it a bullshit decision. And if you did look at every ball up there would be hundreds of incidents to check per game as to whether one of those push offs was made with a closed fist and did it slip high if you are going to suspend someone based on that. Which we know he wouldn't. There wouldn't be enough time in the day to do so.

Ultimately I believe he has a hard on for looking at our games to find something and I think its fairly self evident now with the soft suspensions that have neutrals asking WTF culminating in this doozy where he has apparently seen something that no one else could say happened worth of an automatic 1 game.

Yeah i'm not disputing that it was a s**t report and that he goes a bit harder against us than other sides.
I'm just saying I highly doubt he watches every second of every camera of every game.
It's 100% more likely someone mentioned that he should take a look at it.

David Jones should have finished their assessment with something like,
" And to the MRO can you PLEASE STOP WASTING OUR TIME WITH NOTHING INCIDENTS "

Glad common sense finally prevailed.

I’m pretty sure the AFL has a number of people reviewing each game with incidents deemed worthy, sent to Christian. But suffice to say they prosecuted a charge that was undeniably suspect.

Think about it, they deliberated on this for 30 minutes and we are still not sure if Yeo made any contact with the head. Yeo was a bees appendage away from not playing this week and that doesn’t fill me with any confidence Going forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back