Politics The Republic - no way

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard on the car radio late this afternoon that QEII is apparently planning to retire when she hits age 95, in about 4 years from now.

If that is true, then now is a good time to revive the republic question.

Heard on the car radio late this afternoon that QEII is apparently planning to retire when she hits age 95, in about 4 years from now.

If that is true, then now is a good time to revive the republic question.

Hopefully it skips a generation.....No one wants The Poncy Pratt to be King....No way am I singing God save the King to that flapper.

This is a fascinating debate. I am ,by nature, a "direct electionist", but I think that the powers of the head of state (whatever he/she is to be called) should be carefully defined before any change is made.

You think in the 2nd part we would vote for a North Korean model?

We need to work out if the country wants a republic and then we can choose what model.

Which is the way it looks to be progressing

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

As long as the 2nd part has a, 'none of the above' option, 'current system to remain'.

What, like a "keep the current system, except with the (former) powers of the Crown transferred to the GG's office as the new President of the Australian Republic" kind of thing?

So the powers currently vested in the person of the monarch are vested instead in the person of the Governor-General who is then appointed by the PM?

Last edited:
What, like a "keep the current system, except with the (former) powers of the Crown transferred to the GG's office as the new President of the Australian Republic" kind of thing?

That's the model I want too.

No. I'm happy with the powers to stay with the crown if a suitable model isn't found.

So the powers currently vested in the person of the monarch are vested instead in the person of the Governor-General who is then appointed by the PM?

In my opinion? Nah, I can see problems arising with any politician from the PM on down having a 'captain's pick' for President of a future Australian Republic. I'd suggest a similar system to Ireland. They vote for a President who is above and beyond party politics as seperate to a General Election that selects the Taoiseach (Prime Minister).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im fairly worldy, but even I just had to google that.

The first result was 'A dutch caribean island..."

So unless you think Australia is an English pacific island... even that is an apple to our orange.
No...

I've heard of it before, the spirit comes from there and I've had a friend do a placement there. It has a Prime Minister and the King of Netherlands is the head of state. They also have a Governor (same as GG) who is his rep.

No...

I've heard of it before, the spirit comes from there and I've had a friend do a placement there. It has a Prime Minister and the King of Netherlands is the head of state. They also have a Governor (same as GG) who is his rep.

A quick google search proves you wrong. They have autonomy under dutch sovereignty.

In any event, why the * are you citing a poor caribian island with a smaller population than Geelong as a peer? How low are your asperations for Australia?

Last edited:
There is always the option of having an Australian monarch. But once again it gets down to how we select them.

a rotation model and have the brownlow medallist as King for the year

Do you really want Dangermouse having a turn?

couldn't be any worse than some of our elected officials.

in all seriousness though, I've been a staunch anti-monarch all my life but the circus called democracy has made some crusty half drunk british women look like the preferred official. I don't have a suggestion of how the "head of state" should be appointed but it should not be by election and should not be involved with politics or public speaking.

Perhaps a high court judge on a rotation basis of 2-4 years?

Perhaps we don't have a head of state rather have a 5 member "federal council" with 20% of the council rotated each year.

There is always the option of having an Australian monarch. But once again it gets down to how we select them.

Well, Molly Meldrum is clearly the obvious choice as our first Queen.....I'd sooner a pot-smoking hippie than a NAZI Jerry, like the Poms have.:D

couldn't be any worse than some of our elected officials.

in all seriousness though, I've been a staunch anti-monarch all my life but the circus called democracy has made some crusty half drunk british women look like the preferred official. I don't have a suggestion of how the "head of state" should be appointed but it should not be by election and should not be involved with politics or public speaking.

Perhaps a high court judge on a rotation basis of 2-4 years?

Perhaps we don't have a head of state rather have a 5 member "federal council" with 20% of the council rotated each year.

The Brownlow winner, The Daly M winner, the Allan Border winner and the winning Melbourne Cup jockey undertake a serious of cooking and renovation challenges, and then do a general knowledge quiz under the scrutiny of Eddie McGuire.

In my opinion? Nah, I can see problems arising with any politician from the PM on down having a 'captain's pick' for President of a future Australian Republic. I'd suggest a similar system to Ireland. They vote for a President who is above and beyond party politics as seperate to a General Election that selects the Taoiseach (Prime Minister).

So in other words, you want to change the current system. Because what you suggested above is not (in your words) "keep the current system, except with the (former) powers of the Crown transferred to the GG's office as the new President of the Australian Republic"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back