Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2017-11-06/help-us-get-to-the-reserve

Lions making a play for a $70 mill stadium at Springfield to house its women's team. I am sure they may find another use or 2 for it as well, but its interesting that it is the womens team that is the selling point, especially as they would play 4 games there as the comp is currently.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2017-11-06/help-us-get-to-the-reserve

Lions making a play for a $70 mill stadium at Springfield to house its women's team. I am sure they may find another use or 2 for it as well, but its interesting that it is the womens team that is the selling point, especially as they would play 4 games there as the comp is currently.
It is staggering that an appropriate existing ground can't be found for the AFLW in Brisbane.
It will probably hurt Brisbane attendances if the AFLW ground is far from Brisbane's CBD.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
It is staggering that an appropriate existing ground can't be found for the AFLW in Brisbane.
It will probably hurt Brisbane attendances if the AFLW ground is far from Brisbane's CBD.
They seem a bit worried it will not go ahead as well.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Grandsun

Club Legend
Jan 9, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Could also hold NEAFL, AFLPS and AFLQLD potentially also host local cricket or we might play there when the comm games in on

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
An Aussie Rules dedicated stadium in Brisbane is hard because the smaller NEAFL teams don't draw a crowd and the reserves clubs, who dominate it, always play Grand Finals in the proper AFL grounds of their team. AFLW is a selling point because it's a bit of a sacred cow and when you dress it up with 'female sports participation' and give it that bent, it suddenly has clout.

Realistically the AFL is better off spending money on good facilities for the expansion areas so they have good facilities, rather than doing patchwork jobs constantly and propping them up financially due to constantly losing.

They should use the Showgrounds, beautiful venue. Brisbane Lions can play pre-season games there, AFLW too as I'm guessing the cricket is played at the Gabba anyway? A one-off game v a team like GWS would be beautiful there... it's up there with North Sydney Oval as probably the nicest ground in the country:
1200px-RNA_Showgrounds.jpg

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
An Aussie Rules dedicated stadium in Brisbane is hard because the smaller NEAFL teams don't draw a crowd and the reserves clubs, who dominate it, always play Grand Finals in the proper AFL grounds of their team. AFLW is a selling point because it's a bit of a sacred cow and when you dress it up with 'female sports participation' and give it that bent, it suddenly has clout.

Realistically the AFL is better off spending money on good facilities for the expansion areas so they have good facilities, rather than doing patchwork jobs constantly and propping them up financially due to constantly losing.

They should use the Showgrounds, beautiful venue. Brisbane Lions can play pre-season games there, AFLW too as I'm guessing the cricket is played at the Gabba anyway? A one-off game v a team like GWS would be beautiful there... it's up there with North Sydney Oval as probably the nicest ground in the country:
Dont know the showgrounds, but I am guessing cricket is played in more places in Brisbane than just the GABBA? I know its a concern elsewhere, the availability of grounds for women if it pushes to far into cricket season

CrazyJoeFevola

Setanta Ó hAilpín’s official bigfooty butler 2007
Apr 14, 2013
Gardiner Stand Can Bar
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Preston, WIndies, Armagh GAA

This. Clubs need to be pushing this barrow as much as possible. I'm glad Carlton seem to be doing it as much as is possible as it's the only way the ground might ever get up to standard to host a few AFL games here and there again.

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
Isn't there some vacant land near Brisbane Airport for the lions to use as a training/admin base?

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals

Isn't the Showgrounds used for ABL matches in the summer?

Back