Brownlow Medallist
Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Nice little ground.

I can't say i'm overly familiar with Brisbane.....but isn't Springfield in the boondocks? What Lions player is going to want to travel out there every day? Because I doubt any of them would live even remotely close to it, nor would they want to.

Fatcat08

Cool and Footbally
Oct 16, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool
Nice little ground.

I can't say i'm overly familiar with Brisbane.....but isn't Springfield in the boondocks? What Lions player is going to want to travel out there every day? Because I doubt any of them would live even remotely close to it, nor would they want to.
Will be about 30 mins drive for the players from where most of them are based at now so not really an issue. Yes its a bit out of brisbane, but there's a fair amount of facilities out there with a large shopping centre, uni, businesses etc etc. Given they currently have to drive to 3-4 different locations around brisbane on any given day transferring between training ground, recovery and then the gabba i think most of them will be pretty pleased to have 1 place to drive to and back each day.

Fizzler

#BarUp
Dec 26, 2013
Just refuelling ⛽
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
BOLTS, REN, OKC, WFC, LVB, STORM
Reminiscent of the Gabba while they were upgrading it to the current day stadium. Looks nice, hopefully I can check it out at some point. Way better than what the Women play at now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

R Chee Manning

Marlo Snellman
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Outside of the Gabba, what are their options in the heart of Brisbane?
Well two obvious choices - Coorparoo and Yeronga.

Especially if looking for the dual ground config.

But politics rules I guess and the $$$ lures the club outside of Brisbane. Just like when the Bears played in the Albert Shire.

rfctiger74

Premium Platinum
Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76'ers
Well two obvious choices - Coorparoo and Yeronga.

Especially if looking for the dual ground config.

But politics rules I guess and the $$$ lures the club outside of Brisbane. Just like when the Bears played in the Albert Shire.
And why is there money for springy and not the other two?

I know in Melbourne the biggest issue is displacement of existing club/s. Councils are loathe to boot someone out of their home for a professional team.

Also getting council to sign off on cutting off community access and permitting large developments onsite are massive hurdles.

R Chee Manning

Marlo Snellman
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Coorparoo is a former QAFL club that was purchased by the Lions. Yeronga is the HQ of the QAFL... both facilities are pretty good...

BUT...

Springfield is a growth area... it's booming... the train station there is huge...

1556332574685.png

There's even a lagoon at the shopping centre

1556332416084.png

Poor old Coorparoo and Yeronga can't compete.

dlanod

Sep 14, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS; CCMariners; NQCowboys; Ravens
And why is there money for springy and not the other two?

I know in Melbourne the biggest issue is displacement of existing club/s. Councils are loathe to boot someone out of their home for a professional team.

Also getting council to sign off on cutting off community access and permitting large developments onsite are massive hurdles.
The bolded.

Springfield is a development area with a heap of private funding and willingness to put their money where their mouth is to the total of tens of millions of dollars plus a $1 99 year lease.

Brisbane and Logan more generally are not, plus a lack of usable green space.

Top Bottom