Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Last edited by a moderator:

Nice little ground.

I can't say i'm overly familiar with Brisbane.....but isn't Springfield in the boondocks? What Lions player is going to want to travel out there every day? Because I doubt any of them would live even remotely close to it, nor would they want to.

Nice little ground.

I can't say i'm overly familiar with Brisbane.....but isn't Springfield in the boondocks? What Lions player is going to want to travel out there every day? Because I doubt any of them would live even remotely close to it, nor would they want to.

Will be about 30 mins drive for the players from where most of them are based at now so not really an issue. Yes its a bit out of brisbane, but there's a fair amount of facilities out there with a large shopping centre, uni, businesses etc etc. Given they currently have to drive to 3-4 different locations around brisbane on any given day transferring between training ground, recovery and then the gabba i think most of them will be pretty pleased to have 1 place to drive to and back each day.

Outside of the Gabba, what are their options in the heart of Brisbane?

Well two obvious choices - Coorparoo and Yeronga.

Especially if looking for the dual ground config.

But politics rules I guess and the $$$ lures the club outside of Brisbane. Just like when the Bears played in the Albert Shire.

Well two obvious choices - Coorparoo and Yeronga.

Especially if looking for the dual ground config.

But politics rules I guess and the $$$ lures the club outside of Brisbane. Just like when the Bears played in the Albert Shire.

And why is there money for springy and not the other two?

I know in Melbourne the biggest issue is displacement of existing club/s. Councils are loathe to boot someone out of their home for a professional team.

Also getting council to sign off on cutting off community access and permitting large developments onsite are massive hurdles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coorparoo is a former QAFL club that was purchased by the Lions. Yeronga is the HQ of the QAFL... both facilities are pretty good...

BUT...

Springfield is a growth area... it's booming... the train station there is huge...

1556332574685.png
There's even a lagoon at the shopping centre

1556332416084.png

Poor old Coorparoo and Yeronga can't compete.

And why is there money for springy and not the other two?

I know in Melbourne the biggest issue is displacement of existing club/s. Councils are loathe to boot someone out of their home for a professional team.

Also getting council to sign off on cutting off community access and permitting large developments onsite are massive hurdles.

The bolded.

Springfield is a development area with a heap of private funding and willingness to put their money where their mouth is to the total of tens of millions of dollars plus a $1 99 year lease.

Brisbane and Logan more generally are not, plus a lack of usable green space.

Information meeting last night: Brilliant presentation;
. Now $85 million project
. The stand will draw its design from the Heritage Brunswick Street stand.
. First oval size of Marvel, second size of the MCG.
. Will be a centre for wellness and sports medicine.
. Will have cafes and restaurants.
. Hope to have up two 20 televised games from the stadium, including juniors.
. AFLW to have significant growth. Both in participation and spectators.
. To be ready in 2020.

. To be ready in 2020.
What part of 2020? Would it be ready for the AFLW season?

. To be ready in 2020.
where is the extra $15 million coming from ,only 70 million commited to my knowledge.?

Initial works begin at The Reserve in anticipation of Brisbane Lions arrival
Darrell Giles September 24, 2019

Boutique-stadium-1170x610.jpg
Artist impression of boutique Brisbane Lions stadium at Springfield Central
FacebookTwitterLinkedInRedditShare via EmailPrint
The Brisbane Lions may be out of footy finals contention, but the club is celebrating the start of work at its new boutique training facility at Ipswich.
Ipswich City Council and the Lions have signed off on a tender consideration plan that will see “fit for purpose” works carried out at the Springfield Central site over coming months.
Council’s Coordination and Performance General Manager Sean Madigan presented a report to the Growth and Infrastructure Committee outlining the plan.
The Lions got the green light in August to start construction on the $70 million facility, which was secured with the financial support of council, the Federal and State Governments, Springfield City Group, the AFL and the club.
The Reserve – a complete regional sports and events precinct, available for community use – will essentially be owned by council and leased to the Lions.
Mr Madigan said as part of a heads of agreement, council committed to completing the “fit for purpose” works on the lot to enable the Lions to build the stadium and training facility.
“The fit for purpose works include bulk earthworks, drainage and a creek relocation to allow for the stadium to be built. The (agreement) specifies that the Lions will then build a stadium / training facility on the land which will include aspects of community usage. Council will then lease the facility to the Brisbane Lions on a 50-year lease with an option to extend for a further 49 years,” he said.
“Given that the fit for purpose works need to be suitable for the ultimate construction of the stadium, it is recommended that the Brisbane Lions are best placed to manage the project and engage the contractor for the fit for purposes works on behalf of Council.”
This initial work, to be carried out by BMD, will include a creek relocation, and is worth about $6 million.
Mr Madigan said it was essential the “fit for purpose” work was done before Christmas to ensure agreed timeframes, environmental consequences and costs.
The Reserve is expected to officially open in early 2021.
A secondary oval will be developed on the northern part of the property for use by community sporting clubs, which will also benefit from the other facilities, expected to include a high-performance gymnasium incorporating state-of-the-art learning and teaching facilities, 25m lap pool, aquatic recovery pools and sports medical infrastructure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back